Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

HRRR pushes the smoke plume out of WNE at least by tomorrow afternoon.

Today felt worse than yesterday.  ASOS registering 7sm vis, so while bad, not close to last summer’s 2sm.

Certainly enough for the public to notice and be the talk of the town.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today felt worse than yesterday.  ASOS registering 7sm vis, so while bad, not close to last summer’s 2sm.

Certainly enough for the public to notice and be the talk of the town.

A good 5k+ thick plume aloft

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s crazy to me that you can just stare into the sun with the naked eye with this smoke.  Not sure if you should but not immediately blinded lol.

Since I know it’s usually a topic… no post processing there but I did take the photo a stop down below what normally would be called for to limit the light entering the lens and make the sun really pop (but landscape gets darker). Basically under-exposed it slightly.  Used the camera settings to my advantage instead of just shooting and then altering it later on the computer.

Don't know what that means but it's a great pic, I had the same pic but can't download.

• Haha 1

Yeah the sky just didn’t look right at all today and honestly I haven’t felt my best at all. I wonder how much of an effect the smoke has on our mind as well as just our vitality in general. It’ll be great when this crap finally clears out of here as it sucks to have precious days at the tail end of our summer season robbed like this from us. Something tells me the models are struggling to handle the smoke with regards to temp output as that does tend to throw a wrench into sensible weather conditions.

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

Yeah the sky just didn’t look right at all today and honestly I haven’t felt my best at all. I wonder how much of an effect the smoke has on our mind as well as just our vitality in general. It’ll be great when this crap finally clears out of here as it sucks to have precious days at the tail end of our summer season robbed like this from us. Something tells me the models are struggling to handle the smoke with regards to temp output as that does tend to throw a wrench into sensible weather conditions.

The last few summers have been like this.   I don’t recall it happening as much back in the day

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, radarman said:

Surf's seriously up in S RI.  Long period swell.

Yeah. I'm out on Pt Judith for vacation. Finally some surf as its been so calm all week. Made for great fishing though. I went out on the Lady Frances fishing on Thursday and the staff said the day before someone caught a juvenile great white right off Pt Judith. They said it hung around for awhile and just swam around the boat. 

Screenshot_20240817_103110_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c5d80650a7ad330cc7d0a1b655eea9a2.jpg

https://turnto10.com/news/local/rhode-island-fishermen-encounter-great-white-shark-southern-new-england-narragansett-lady-frances-fleet-sharks-wild-life-ocean-water-august-14-2024

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Yeah. I'm out on Pt Judith for vacation. Finally some surf as its been so calm all week. Made for great fishing though. I went out on the Lady Frances fishing on Thursday and the staff said the day before someone caught a juvenile great white right off Pt Judith. They said it hung around for awhile and just swam around the boat. 

Screenshot_20240817_103110_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c5d80650a7ad330cc7d0a1b655eea9a2.jpg

https://turnto10.com/news/local/rhode-island-fishermen-encounter-great-white-shark-southern-new-england-narragansett-lady-frances-fleet-sharks-wild-life-ocean-water-august-14-2024

quintjaws.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6