Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You know what has disappeared the last 2-3 summers. Wasps and white faced hornets. They used to be everywhere. Now they have become extinct around these parts. Literally just vanished 

I had white faced last year but haven't seen a one this year. And very few of those black wasps that like eaves

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You know what has disappeared the last 2-3 summers. Wasps and white faced hornets. They used to be everywhere. Now they have become extinct around these parts. Literally just vanished 

I’ve had some white facers…killed a few too when they drown in my little jar of jelly for the orioles.

Just now, dendrite said:

I’ve had some white facers…killed a few too when they drown in my little jar of jelly for the orioles.

Wasps? I used to get nests all over. Would have to spray every season. In bushes,, in attic eaves .. they’d even get into the upstairs rooms sometimes. None last few years 

• Like 2

Reading through the posts. We have had no yellow jackets or honey bees just bumble bees in our garden. Very weird. Also no Japanese beetles the last 2 years. They used to be everywhere. I don't know if it's too early but no monarch butterflies either. I think by now we used to have tons of them. We even planted lots of milkweed but still no butterflies. Something is going on. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

You need to get a pic of one lol. Dragonflies? I don’t think you guys get cicadas?

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

No they are actually smaller… like house fly size.  We bailed on the dog walk.  They looked like flying ants, that type of body.

Some were bigger than others though which was odd.  Like twice as big.

Flying ants?  I swear I got out of my car into a hatch tonight. 
Edit: Should have read down a few posts. I think they are flying ants. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

So when is it again that we get the torch?  August looks pretty much done for any hot weather. AWT

Screenshot_20240814_194531_Chrome.jpg

That little zone of suckage kind of reminds me of our annual late April/early May week of crappiness with a rotting low pressure system centered over the Great Lakes/Ohio valley. What a shame that type of nasty pattern can’t wait until at least mid September when the season is supposed to wind down. Who knows, maybe it won’t be quite as sustained as the models indicate.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Reading through the posts. We have had no yellow jackets or honey bees just bumble bees in our garden. Very weird. Also no Japanese beetles the last 2 years. They used to be everywhere. I don't know if it's too early but no monarch butterflies either. I think by now we used to have tons of them. We even planted lots of milkweed but still no butterflies. Something is going on. 

Scary stuff. I've had lots of butterflies and the monarchs have appeared the last week or so but the insect population is definitely down.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Flying ants?  I swear I got out of my car into a hatch tonight. 
Edit: Should have read down a few posts. I think they are flying ants. 

I've seen them referred to as Labor Day ants.  Only had them once here.  Think it's sporadic.

Tons of monarchs and honeybees and beetles here, as usual.  Only notable difference this year has been the influx of dragonflies.  First year we've had them.  Consequently, very few mosquitos.

• Like 2

Had a bald faced hornet nest last year in the eve of my prior house. Hate those things.

Only thing different this year is the amount of spotted lantern flies around the area. I smushed a handful outside a local coffee shop a few days ago, and then a few landed near/on me at a farmers market last weekend. Not great 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Morning run in all darkness ftl. Today was first day of full dark.. Just getting light in Eastern sky. Miss those mid Mayorch - early Augdewst runs when sun in up before 5.:00 AM.

Yep blows. 

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

I've been searching the charts and I still can't find the torch. When is it again?

"Cooler/drier conditions settle in behind a cold front by the  middle of next week"

Screenshot_20240815_060651_Chrome.jpg

Maybe if you went past 156hr. ;)

image.png

But yeah…we’ll see. I’m in the occasional front camp averaging out to slightly AN. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Have you seen any?

1 hour ago, Sled said:

They're all at my house, don't worry.

At my house too.  Killed 3 tiny white faced nests early in the year and another big one at the end of July.  Found another random one about head high in the middle of the woods when searching for mushrooms.  Also killed a yellow jacket nest (the fuckers got me 12 times).

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Morning run in all darkness ftl. Today was first day of full dark.. Just getting light in Eastern sky. Miss those mid Mayorch - early Augdewst runs when sun in up before 5.:00 AM.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yep blows. 

Broke back

Deal with it,

Cosgrove 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Maybe if you went past 156hr. ;)

image.png

But yeah…we’ll see. I’m in the occasional front camp averaging out to slightly AN. 

1) That would defeat the purpose. 2) that doesn't look like much of a torch and August is over.

Just now, kdxken said:

1) That would defeat the purpose. 2) that doesn't look like much of a torch and August is over.

Temp anomalies look warm at the surface. It's not 95/75, but plenty warm with humidity sprinkled in. Summer.