Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Tempered elation in Methuen...or Metheun, as some of us say....

It legit makes me sad at times because I can’t go through another shit winter. I was mentally ill this past winter. I’m not even joking. I don’t need 200” of snow, but man it was brutal to have back to back dogshit winters. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It legit makes me sad at times because I can’t go through another shit winter. I was mentally ill this past winter. I’m not even joking. I don’t need 200” of snow, but man it was brutal to have back to back dogshit winters. 

This season, on paper, looks even worse, which lends itself to the saving grace that it will probably be somewhat better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think its a combination of CC and the peak of both a multi decadal Pacific cold phase pattern/+AMO. My guess is about 30%CC/70% the latter attribution.

Yeah, that guess is as good as any.  

For me, I just don't personally see how or why CC would effect model processing. It doesn't make sense that way.   The climate change, despite the rage ...moves way slower than a single model being 15% too amplitude in mid and extended range.  If the climate change moved at 15% correction we'd be extinct in 10 months as a species along with countless others. 

There are two aspects going on, though.  Big amplitude events are occurring; the models just are not pin-pointing them in time and space at a discrete level.   These - I'm gonna call them - "synergistic bombs" going off, are not being modeled at the discrete time and spatial dimension - at all really. 

In the Road Runner 'ACME' realm of physics, amplitude does make sense in the models, then. heh.   But maybe the models are sort of "almost" detecting - maybe we shouldn't be so quick to disregard amplitude bias as just being some sort of errant quotient. In other words, the fact that they do this and the bias exists, means that there is chance of something to occur but we don't know what that is.  

By the way, the attribution studies are consummately informing that some powerful event or departure could not have taken place without the acceleration of the climate change... etc etc

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For me it has been since 2015. 

Like you ... I don't need 150 to 300% of average climo snow, falling through a -10 F February to get the point across.  But just a Currier&Ives winter it's been been the better part of a decade. 

As an aside ... what I think also skews this discussion and makes people want to engage in internet fights ( haha ) is that singular events going way above "storm climatology" - folks that argue in favor of winter are wrong. Period.   That is "cheating" seasons for lack of better word.   But that's a rabbit hole...   I just know that I have personally observed 70 to 80+ F in 7 of the last 9 year's worth FEB-MAR periods ( and January's suck on big brown chocolate balls too often as well ...)   all happening despite Brian getting 42" of snow in 20 minutes 2021, or March birch benders like 2018, enough to compensate and make it seem fair. 

These other years may not be dogshit winters, per se, but it's like trying to eat supper while Fido's hangin' one in the corner of the room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For me it has been since 2015. 

Like you ... I don't need 150 to 300% of average climo snow, falling through a -10 F February to get the point across.  But just a Currier&Ives winter it's been been the better part of a decade. 

As an aside ... what I think also skews this discussion and makes people want to engage in internet fights ( haha ) is that singular events going way above "storm climatology" - folks that argue in favor of winter are wrong. Period.   That is "cheating" seasons for lack of better word.   But that's a rabbit hole...   I just know that I have personally observed 70 to 80+ in 7 of the last 9 year's worth FEB-MAR periods, and January's suck on big brown chocolate balls too often ...  all happening despite Brian getting 42" of snow in 20 minutes 2021, or March birch benders like 2018, enough to compensate and make it seem fair. 

These other years may not be dogshit winters, per se, but it's like trying to eat supper while Fido's hangin' one in the corner of the room.

See, I'm the opposite...keep your three weeks of currier and ives in January......give me 42" of snow in 20 minutes in exchange for 50 degrees in Janaury.

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

See, I'm the opposite...keep your three weeks of currier and ives in January......give me 42" of snow in 20 minutes in exchnage for 50 degrees in Janaury.

the discussion moves into the murk of personal druthers. 

I like 'nickle and dime' along steady diet years. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

See, I'm the opposite...keep your three weeks of currier and ives in January......give me 42" of snow in 20 minutes in exchange for 50 degrees in Janaury.

Yeah. As I get older, I appreciate the anomalies much more than a 2-4" storm or something like that. It's not that I don't want it...but give me a 30"+ tempest in January and I'll smoke a cigarette the next day feeling satiated as it melts away.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah. As I get older, I appreciate the anomalies much more than a 2-4" storm or something like that. It's not that I don't want it...but give me a 30"+ tempest in January and I'll smoke a cigarette the next day feeling satiated as it melts away.

Now, get the 3-4" storm on XMAS/eve XMAS, then its different...that has more value.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

December 2020 was so great. Bare ground a week before Christmas. 34” 5 days before. And back to grass on Christmas day. That’s tough to do up here. 

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seasonal snowfall is what it is, though.....if you get 40" in one storm, and 3" the rest of the winter, it was still an above average snowfall season in terms of snowfall if you average 40". Sure, being above normal in terms of temps is another matter.

Ideal to me would be having the 40” spread across several 4-6” storms and one big dog. 

August - the month where when I am officially done with summer and can only think of autumn. Having moved up here to NE, it is interesting though because many of the summer days have actually been pleasant, not anything like the constant suffocating heat I'm used to.

Looking forward to my first New England autumn and winter! :snowwindow:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

August - the month where when I am officially done with summer and can only think of autumn. Having moved up here to NE, it is interesting though because many of the summer days have actually been pleasant, not anything like the constant suffocating heat I'm used to.

You will be cryin for your mama by February even if this winter is scat again. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

Where did you relocate from in the south?

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

You will be cryin for your mama by February even if this winter is scat again. 

We'll see about that. lol

You have to realize that the winters where I came from had become so pathetic that it was effecting my mental health. I had to move somewhere that has four seasons. My mental health was suffering too much.

So, if winter here is too much for me, that's a better problem to have. I'll look forward to Spring for the first time in my life.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Where did you relocate from in the south?

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I believe OK. 

Yup, lousy Oklahoma.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harmonie said:

Autumn is our best season. You’ll love it. Winter not so much—especially recently. 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ideal to me would be having the 40” spread across several 4-6” storms and one big dog. 

I'd prefer that too but I like to build a pack that sticks around for a while like 2012, January was great, it stayed cold into February even though we didn't get much that month but some snow/sleet/freezing rain put a hard coat on top of a good pack. I remember walking across the top of it with my new puppy, great year. I'm not opposed to a 30+ incher either, I like the pack to stick around.