• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

August isn’t looking hot as it was modeled a few weeks ago. Still very humid but also very wet. Starting to think we have passed the point of sustained heat. Could be a torch to end the month. Never bet against heat. Still looks above normal overall. 

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Did any of the 4 major SNE sites have an official heat wave this week?  

Doesn't appear to be so, no.    But, all 4 were on average +9 on two consecutive days prior to yesterday.   Yesterday ended up around 87 to 89 type maxes, but ( as usual ) because lows are always elevated these days ... the dep is still hefty.

in other words, it doesn't matter.  we broil.   tomorrow looks like it'll be above 90 again after today's odd reprieve, one that looks really more like convective offset cooling and not a synoptic air out.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

BDL did Thu-Sat

HVN snuck one in and BDR was close. 

I track all my heat pump electricity consumption and HDD/CDD. The last few days have been absolutely absurd compared to normal. 

month_08__year_2024__station_HVN__network_CT_ASOS__dpi_100 (1).png

month_08__year_2024__station_BDR__network_CT_ASOS__dpi_100.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Happy August

image.png

I mean while we get our usual localized cooldown at some point you can’t deny that overarching trend of baking heat and ridging way above what was considered normal in the meteorological domain. Without sounding like a total doomsayer I honestly feel like these trends will have irreversible effects well into the future that models will struggle to pick up on until as tip would say, is simply no longer possible to ignore. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

I mean while we get our usual localized cooldown at some point you can’t deny that overarching trend of baking heat and ridging way above what was considered normal in the meteorological domain. Without sounding like a total doomsayer I honestly feel like these trends will have irreversible effects well into the future that models will struggle to pick up on until as tip would say, is simply no longer possible to ignore. 

It was sarcasm. The day will probably end up 85F. The planet is torched.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It was sarcasm. The day will probably end up 85F. The planet is torched fucked.

echo this... 

... by the way, at the end of all arguments there's this:   no point in geological history has there been as an abrupt d(ppm) in C02, and the closest there has been, preceded the greatest extinction event ever, reducing all biota down to bacteria.  

So yeah.. "I hate to doom say"  ... while countless others are oblivious to those facts, yet take the power of rationalizing.  It's not denying... Denying requires knowing something first.  This is just flat populism jumping on a band wagon none of these fucks or the ballast of all people even know that kind of stuff.  

Like ...gee, dumping 1.5 billion year's of volatile chemistry stows, back into a reactive atmosphere, in just 300 year's worth of industrialism:  taht won't lead us to a similar destination.    Let's totally gamble that!

Sorry

• Like 2

We`re expecting an unsettled week ahead with persistent mid level
troughing over the northeast and a stalled cold front that will
bring near daily rain chances to the region through Thursday. Beyond
the first few days of the forecast, our attention is focused on now
Tropical Storm Debby, which is slated to make landfall, possibly as
a Hurricane in the big bend of Florida, in the next day.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

BDL is HFD . It’s 15 minutes north 

It's 15 minutes N at 70 mph, ninny. 

That's like 16 miles and plenty enough distant to be quantified or qualified apart considering all the nuances that go into validating temperatures

45 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's 15 minutes N at 70 mph, ninny. 

That's like 16 miles and plenty enough distant to be quantified or qualified apart considering all the nuances that go into validating temperatures

BDL is the main climo site for "Hartford area".