• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Where I am here, last night's low was 58  ( 57.7)  

That looks to be about as close to pin pointing the climate average as a chaotic world is capable.  

Not intending to gaslight, but ... I almost wonder if the "cool" characterization is more of acclimation thing.  Cool requires a negative departure.   Lol. 

Fair enough ... I mean, if it hasn't "fallen" to average in a long enough time.  There's climate and then there's sensible appeal.

I thought it was interesting that we had a radiator night just in general.  I can recall in the years back whence ( slow rocking chair with ribbons of pipe smoke risin' ), we would get these radiator nights going by mid August.  However, those would be more like 50 - it's like we're conserving that behavior, but at a loftier scale.  It's almost like radiational cooling nights used to be 52, 42, 32, 22, spanning Aug thru Nov.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

End of month looks very warm, but I'll take this for now. My vacations are over, so we take these temps.

Did 27 holes of Golf yesterday amid 81/54 ... not that anyone should care, but for me this is  okay vacation weather. It's amenable to actually being outdoors engaging life.   

I don't like DP elevation just for the sake of them being high, unless special circumstance.    But, seein' as that's part of life, the next best thing is not to have elevated DPs, not while any temperature is above about 75..    75 /  ~ 67 is the cut off. Anything above that gets sensibly stressful - slow cook at first but low air flow 85/ 70 with any kind of sun gets irritable pretty quickly.  I guess some hypocrisy here, DP can actually have its place in a narrow gap between 75/72 ... particularly if there's a breeze, and tropical turrets going by.  In fact, if the breeze is active and these bee-bee convection cycle over head to offer shade moments, the Bahama Blue thing we mention has some appeal.  

I just don't find any use for 88+/67 under unrelenting sun and hazy blue searing sky, with light or no wind. It's no different in terms of annoyance's scalar value, to being 43 with zero snow chances and nothing on the ground in January.  Actually, snow or no snow, 43 F winters can go f themselves.

I've come to find my favorite is right around 86 / low DP, though.     Warm and dry.  Not hot and dry, with splashes of sun after reprieving shade by passing fair weather clouds and/or trips under trees is ...  And please, no f'ing smoke!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That looks to be about as close to pin pointing the climate average as a chaotic world is capable.  

Not intending to gaslight, but ... I almost wonder if the "cool" characterization is more of acclimation thing.  Cool requires a negative departure.   Lol. 

Fair enough ... I mean, if it hasn't "fallen" to average in a long enough time.  There's climate and then there's sensible appeal.

I thought it was interesting that we had a radiator night just in general.  I can recall in the years back whence ( slow rocking chair with ribbons of pipe smoke risin' ), we would get these radiator nights going by mid August.  However, those would be more like 50 - it's like we're conserving that behavior, but at a loftier scale.  It's almost like radiational cooling nights used to be 52, 42, 32, 22, spanning Aug thru Nov.

No, you're right. Just look at places where it used to radiate, like the northern Pennsylvania mountains. Bradford Airport, 2100' elevation, nestled between the Allegheny National Forest and Pennsylvania State Gamelands, was 52F yesterday for the low. Fully 22 of 42 years from 1957-2000 [no data for 1995 & 1996] had a mean August monthly low temperature below 52F, and two others within 0.5F [so more or less 52F]. 51-52F used to be a typical August low in this location, with cold August mornings dropping into the 20s and 30s. Now, our so-called cold airmasses can't even do 50F there.

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Locally I’ve noticed that with recent land use changes (past 10 years), I dont radiate as well I used to

Probably will never see 40s again in July like I did IIRC 2006?