• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
August 2024 General Discussion

The weekend and Monday were cold and windy, mid-afternoon it was 15C and overcast. I'm sure I don't have to state how I feel about that one. Today was better high of 20C with lots of fluffy clouds.

Today was the 15th anniversary of the historic Ontario tornado outbreak that had the highest number of tornadoes recorded in one day. One was close to me, the Durham F2 that claimed the life of 1. Most from SON recall the Vaughan tornado which is among the most filmed ON tornado of all time.

I feel like I've said this a few times in recent years but what a great stretch of weather upcoming. Counting yesterday, could be 16+ days of no rain and at least partly sunny skies with perfect san diego type weather. (humidity below 70%) Also it's the first summer in awhile where I haven't turned on the sprinklers and the grass is perfect.

Back in July I went ahead, and did a work up of MSP area vs rural area annual data. You can find those 2 posts on page 7 of the July thread. I decided to look at 3 other major cities in our sub. Chicago, Detroit, and Indianapolis. This is what I came up with.

Just a note, UHE is a big problem in major cities over the many decades of data. Not trying to diminish what goes on in urban environments. Just trying to show the difference in magnitude between more rural, and urban settings over time. And even smaller towns are affected by the UHE, just on a smaller scale, and that needs to be accounted for, as well. 

CHI area vs rv ann temps.gif

CHI area rv ann anom.gif

DET area vs rv ann temps.gif

DET area rv ann anom.gif

IND area vs rv ann temps.gif

IND area rv ann anom.gif

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Back in July I went ahead, and did a work up of MSP area vs rural area annual data. You can find those 2 posts on page 7 of the July thread. I decided to look at 3 other major cities in our sub. Chicago, Detroit, and Indianapolis. This is what I came up with.

Just a note, UHE is a big problem in major cities over the many decades of data. Not trying to diminish what goes on in urban environments. Just trying to show the difference in magnitude between more rural, and urban settings over time. And even smaller towns are affected by the UHE, just on a smaller scale, and that needs to be accounted for, as well. 

CHI area vs rv ann temps.gif

CHI area rv ann anom.gif

DET area vs rv ann temps.gif

DET area rv ann anom.gif

IND area vs rv ann temps.gif

IND area rv ann anom.gif

Awesome data as always!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

what's the longest dtw or detroit has gone without a trace of precip in the month of august or september?

It would take too much research to figure out that since a trace is the same as 0 when running computed streaks in xmacis.

But the record for longest stretch without measurable precip, not just for Aug-Sept but the entire period of record, is 39 days from August 20 - September 27, 1908. A trace fell on  2 of those days (Sept 1 & 24).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

It would take too much research to figure out that since a trace is the same as 0 when running computed streaks in xmacis.

But the record for longest stretch without measurable precip, not just for Aug-Sept but the entire period of record, is 39 days from August 20 - September 27, 1908. A trace fell on  2 of those days (Sept 1 & 24).

Curious if during that stretch there was a prolonged heat wave. 39 days is incredible. 

Untitled.thumb.png.f0d97d578f0939f85c5b4043ef1a9013.png

Mid 60's this morning with dp's in the low 60's making it feel a bit humid.  Not a bad look for the last week of met summer.  The real heat stays south of the UP.

With several cool nights in the 30's and low 40's, certain trees are really beginning to show color.  This maple is one of the first of the season each year.  Last week of September- first of Oct is usually peak here locally.  Things should start looking good in another few weeks. Warmer weather could slow things down but it has been pretty dry the last month so trees may be ready to give it up.

1778837547_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.7fb93053cc2eda33760813b02190be47.jpg

• Like 3

Normally a heatwave like this would feel more like a nuisance than anything at this point in the summer, but because we have been so cool for the last like 6 weeks that this is going to be a bit of a shock for a couple days. Cannot complain about the last 6 weeks though, it's been a really pleasant, if boring, stretch of weather. 

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Mid 60's this morning with dp's in the low 60's making it feel a bit humid.  Not a bad look for the last week of met summer.  The real heat stays south of the UP.

With several cool nights in the 30's and low 40's, certain trees are really beginning to show color.  This maple is one of the first of the season each year.  Last week of September- first of Oct is usually peak here locally.  Things should start looking good in another few weeks. Warmer weather could slow things down but it has been pretty dry the last month so trees may be ready to give it up.

Maples here have a tint of yellow showing the time of year. The cooler wx has definitely sped things up a bit. Last gasp of summer heat the next few days, then the inevitable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

A few random maples are showing color here but I’m attributing that to stress from an urban environment. 

2 day heatwave begins tomorrow. Mondays forecast of 94 would be our warmest temperature of the year. Long range looks real nice beyond Tuesday. 

Usually that happens in late August, but a bit more color is showing here than usual. 

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Today starts what will likely be a 6-day stretch of 90s.  Tuesday looks the hottest with 95-97 likely.  That could also be the day we see the highest dews, possibly 81-82, so heat index values above 115° are looking possible.

Debris clouds from the Missouri MCS negated today's 90, as 88 was the high at MLI, 89 here.

Hit 90 here today too. Also an interesting tidbit from longtime South Bend meteorologist Bob Werner: 

We’ve had only 0.85", less than 20% of normal rain since July 17th. That has produced a rainfall deficit of more than 4" during that time. That's the 4th driest time we've ever recorded for those 39 days, and the driest since 1920!

No significant chance of rain for at least several more days....

For days the Euro and HRDPS showed storms blowing up last night over eastern IA/western IL, and then yesterday's runs suddenly dropped them.  In reality nothing formed last night, so a major fail for both of them models.  

DVN all in on the heat, going with 97/98 for highs Mon/Tue and have issued an excessive heat warning.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2024 at 10:07 AM, weatherbo said:

I'm going to the Porkies Oct 6-9