• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
August 2024 General Discussion

From 70 along the shoreline to 80 inland on a breezy SE wind. Nice day. Saw my 1st flock of CAN geese fly overhead, and the Chickadees are very active today. There's your sign! Summer months are in their closing chapters around here. Looks like 1-2" of rain tomorrow from the LP moving through. Need that. Been on the drier side lately. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian D said:

From 70 along the shoreline to 80 inland on a breezy SE wind. Nice day. Saw my 1st flock of CAN geese fly overhead, and the Chickadees are very active today. There's your sign! Summer months are in their closing chapters around here. Looks like 1-2" of rain tomorrow from the LP moving through. Need that. Been on the drier side lately. 

haha I saw that yesterday as well. Flew right over top leaving town. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Great soaker.  Picked up 1.70" early this morning. 

Finally, it rained here. 0.92" in the tippy bucket. But that fell in twenty to thirty minutes so there was a lot of run off with the rock-hard dry ground. 

Bout to get JDAMd by some GV cells filling in a few miles west.  Can't remember the last good storm despite having a very nice and active year so far.

Excited to see if whatever line of storms  that forms  tomorrow evening around the WI border will be able to keep itself together long enough to reach MBY. Pretty much all CAMs show a similar evolution of the line shitting itself within a county before or after reaching MBY, so it'll be close either way.

Looks like some much-needed rain to hit parts of central and southeast Ohio over the weekend. Has been one of the driest summers on record to date in that part of the subforum, and it looks like dry weather returns after this weekend.

Columbus, Ohio [4th driest to date]

image.png.6b3d209aff6a2e02cc12062236caa729.png

Zanesville, Ohio [5th driest to date]

image.png.68143b77d6b5d36619195519f098da9a.png

New Philadelphia, Ohio [driest on record - since 1948]

image.png.4f077300b92b32d0b2518a0f9f4f592d.png

Wheeling, West Virginia [driest on record]

image.png.092ee20ece21d56c8c3f8aec75150af1.png

Incredible rain yesterday for Toronto, Pearson broke their daily record that goes back to July 8th 2013, that was the day the 427 had catastrophic flooding. And it breaks the all time summer record.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Incredible rain yesterday for Toronto, Pearson broke their daily record that goes back to July 8th 2013, that was the day the 427 had catastrophic flooding. And it breaks the all time summer record.

Yeah it's been a crazy wet summer for us. I got stuck on the 427 yesterday because of the flooding. Though I attribute half the flooding due to poor infrastructure and a lack of improvements over the last few decades. 

We are now sitting at 34.5" of precip for the year and already above our yearly average of 31.7". 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Autumn is def in the air this morning, low of 38.  Baraga Plains and Yellow Dog both recorded a low of 30, Champion was 32.  Lots of mid to upper 30's away from the shore.

Too cold too soon :(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Autumn is def in the air this morning, low of 38.  Baraga Plains and Yellow Dog both recorded a low of 30, Champion was 32.  Lots of mid to upper 30's away from the shore.

Seems to me autumn has been in the air off n on all summer. And starting a week or so ago, geese have been regularly flying by here. Yesterday saw the most activity with many flocks on the move. Regular movement for this point in Aug seems a bit early to me. Every Aug sees some sporadic movements, but this is becoming a little much. Wx in CAN must be getting pretty cool. And I noticed that there's still a big chunk of ice in the W Hudson Bay. That should have been gone 2-3 weeks ago. 

That being said, forecast has 80-85 for the weekend around here, so summer is still around, thankfully. :) 

9 hours ago, Brian D said:

Seems to me autumn has been in the air off n on all summer.

There's for sure been some cool stretches but nothing terribly abnormal. For this area, June averaged -0.6, July +0.5 and August to date is right at average, so fairly seasonable.  I would say it's been a very pleasant summer.  The coolest night this met summer so far has been 34 and the warmest daytime high 89.  There was a total of 24 nights with lows in the 40's and 4 nights in the 30's.  Some interior areas have seen 12-15 nights in the 30's and even some summer frost.

Another chilly one tonight in the low 40's before a huge warmup late week with mid 80's this weekend into next week. With the shorter days, the cooler nights and the leaves beginning to change, I welcome the late summer warmth.  Not ready for full blown fall just yet.  Garden is still producing very well even with the sun now sinking below the tree line by 3:30.

All the critters (especially deer) that enjoy acorns will have plenty to eat this year.  I don't think I've ever seen so many. And mice seem in abundance as well compared to the last few years... go figure.

• Like 3