• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

4 minutes ago, bkviking said:

Very heavy rain in Port Jefferson - again - with multiple cells training over this area again. Unreal.  

Yep, flood advisory up that will likely become another warning soon. That area along 347 and 25A can’t catch any break. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah it pulsed up to the south a little bit, so I just got a 2 minute downpour. Not nearly as heavy as yesterday's downpours though.

The storm traveling 287 dumped a ton of rain 

• Like 1

Between Nesconset and Terryville getting dumped on. Looks like 347 is flooding again. Just unreal. And it’s back building/training. Looks like this is on the seabreeze boundary which usually doesn’t fire up like this but with the amount of water in the air anything will start things up. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Between Nesconset and Terryville getting dumped on. Looks like 347 is flooding again. Just unreal. And it’s back building/training. Looks like this is on the seabreeze boundary which usually doesn’t fire up like this but with the amount of water in the air anything will start things up. 

I am in PJ viillage now and it is looming disaster. Flooding everywhere , cars stuck, hard to believe this is happening again 

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If yesterday’s event weren’t historic enough. Might challenge the islip record 24 total if that cell keeps sitting there….

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

If yesterday’s event weren’t historic enough. Might challenge the islip record 24 total if that cell keeps sitting there….

Since places there as of this morning were at 9-10", it's a decent possibility. Rt 347 must be a lake. 

• Like 1

A shower or thundershower is possible this evening as a cold front moves across the region. Behind the front, the coolest air mass so far this season will begin to overspread the region tomorrow. Temperatures will top out in the lower to perhaps middle 70s as clouds give way to sunshine.

Afterward, New York City will likely see the mercury dip below 60° for the first time since June 11th on Wednesday morning. Thursday morning could again see the temperature fall toward or below 60° in New York City. Highs both days will be in the lower to middle 70s in the City.

A warmer pattern will likely develop starting next weekend.

Out West, cities such as Flagstaff, Las Vegas, and Phoenix remain on track for their hottest summer on record. Denver recently experienced its third extreme heat event (Clarke et al., 2014 framework) of the year setting a new annual record. Del Rio is in the midst of its record third extreme heat event of the year. The heat there will intensify with the temperature making a run at the August monthly record on Wednesday and Thursday.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.0°C for the week centered around August 7. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.33°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.12°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the early fall.

The SOI was +20.15 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.746 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 56% probability that New York City will have a cooler than normal August (1991-2020 normal). August will likely finish with a mean temperature near 75.7° (0.4° below normal).

• Like 1

I'm in Sound Beach just east of Port jeff.. last night was unbelievable. Torrential just would not stop. Then today 3 more rounds of storms kept firing overhead. This Container is 15 inches high.. was filled to the brim after last night and today.12e065be35278fb4f091f51bdc237392.jpg

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bkviking said:

I cannot get out of Port Jefferson- stuck in bathroom. It is surreal what is happening here. They must be well over a foot of rain.

but it is NOT stopping. It keeps regenerating and getting worse. 

I think the Blydenburgh dam failure also happened in late February 1979 during the epic meltout and rains after the early February snowfalls culminating in PD1.  I'll see if I can verify that memory.  Pretty sure there was a working stream gage on the Nissequogue at that time.

39 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I think the Blydenburgh dam failure also happened in late February 1979 during the epic meltout and rains after the early February snowfalls culminating in PD1.  I'll see if I can verify that memory.  Pretty sure there was a working stream gage on the Nissequogue at that time.

Does anyone know if the state / county were monitoring the structural integrity of these structures?