• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

One good thing about Long Island is the lack of any major rivers and fresh water flood zones. All things considered Suffolk handled 8-10” of rain without any major issues. Yes, some washed out roads but not crazy issues like when CT or Vt get 10” of rain. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, psv88 said:

One good thing about Long Island is the lack of any major rivers and fresh water flood zones. All things considered Suffolk handled 8-10” of rain without any major issues. Yes, some washed out roads but not crazy issues like when CT or Vt get 10” of rain. 

LIRR is shut down east of Kings Park and preliminary plan is to shut down east of Huntington after 4pm due to a compromised viaduct in Smithtown and the Nissequogue river has flooded. There’s another lake/large pond near the tracks that has been completely washed away into the Sound so anyone who commutes in that general vicinity should make alternative plans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

8.21" here over night.  8.54" total if you include Saturday night's rain.

For comparison, we had 5.53" during the August 2014 deluge and 4.20" during Ida.

We are close to perfectly the same - i ended up with 8.28” - sad the destruction over by Avalon park in Stony Brook - absolutely awful for that picturesque and quaint area. Cannot believe Mill Pond totally emptied. 

58 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Some areas definitely some issues. Rocky Point looks pretty trashed with a neighborhood that had cars floated away. Mill Pond in Stony Brook washed the road out and damaged homes/parts of Stony Brook University. Just south of you (I assume) by Motor Parkway looked pretty bad. Still standing water on some roads in Centereach. I remember when we had these big floods in Long Beach like in Aug 2011, at least when there’s some elevation the water moves on, when it’s flat the water has to all be pumped out. Glad I missed out, I remember back in Dec last “winter” and Ida the heavy rain all collected and flooded at the bottom of the hill I’m on. Lots of coworkers today with flooded basements they all have to pump out. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Some areas definitely some issues. Rocky Point looks pretty trashed with a neighborhood that had cars floated away. Mill Pond in Stony Brook washed the road out and damaged homes/parts of Stony Brook University. Just south of you (I assume) by Motor Parkway looked pretty bad. Still standing water on some roads in Centereach. I remember when we had these big floods in Long Beach like in Aug 2011, at least when there’s some elevation the water moves on, when it’s flat the water has to all be pumped out. Glad I missed out, I remember back in Dec last “winter” and Ida the heavy rain all collected and flooded at the bottom of the hill I’m on. Lots of coworkers today with flooded basements they all have to pump out. 

Agreed lots of flooded basements. Don’t get me wrong, the road flooding was severe around here. We were pretty much cutoff in all directions from my neighborhood. Every main road closed down. But houses weren’t washed away,  entire neighborhoods for the most part weren’t under water like you see in PA, VT. 

11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah, August 2011 was the most extreme rainfall flooding event for me back in Long Beach. Over 10” of rain during that Sunday morning. Most basements experienced flooding. My 2nd heaviest in a short period of time was 5.00” in 90 minutes during June 1995. 

35 minutes ago, bkviking said:

We are close to perfectly the same - i ended up with 8.28” - sad the destruction over by Avalon park in Stony Brook - absolutely awful for that picturesque and quaint area. Cannot believe Mill Pond totally emptied. 

Yeah, that sucks.  That was one of our favorite places to take the kids when they were young.

• Like 1