• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Ridge west - troughing into the east mainly cooler than normal Sep 3 - 7th as its progressing on the forecasts now.  Late season summer in Scandinavia which had been otherwise having its coolest summer in many years.  

test8.gif

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I wonder if this was due to the somewhat recent Saharan dust or the cold water pool in the tropical Atlantic?

So far...  From what I can see on EPS GEFS, NHC will probably have to start TWO sometime between F 9/1-Sun 9/3...based on the two ensemble pix provided. While early model speculation suggests recurve out to sea s of Hat next week,  lots of room for change.  

By the way on Ernesto, I was tandem kayaking Frenchman Bay-Gulf of Maine Wed 8/21 in residual subsiding 3' swells. That Acadia NP vacation prevented me from looking things over carefully for a topic regarding the killer flood (  7+" )near Southbury in sw CT last Sunday the 18th, when I was traveling up there for a 19 participant multisport. 

Screen Shot 2024-08-26 at 9.34.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-26 at 9.36.27 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

I wonder if this was due to the somewhat recent Saharan dust or the cold water pool in the tropical Atlantic?

The upper atmosphere warmed faster than the surface leading the record low lapse rates. So this August 20th to 31st is unusually quiet. Last year over the same period we had 6 named storms form. But the record SSTs around the Gulf are concerning since it will only take one wave to get in there and rapidly deepen. So it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes as we approach the peak. Hurricane seasons are mostly evaluated on land impacts which are largely unknown until we reach the peak later in the season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The upper atmosphere warmed faster than the surface leading the record low lapse rates. So this August 20th to 31st is unusually quiet. Last year over the same period we had 6 named storms form. But the record SSTs around the Gulf are concerning since it will only take one wave to get in there and rapidly deepen. So it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes as we approach the peak. Hurricane seasons are mostly evaluated on land impacts which are largely unknown until we reach the peak later in the season. 

Is that the same mechanism by which the Saharan dust inhibits tropical storms? Warming aloft from absorbed solar radiation and modest cooling at the surface lowering the lapse rate and resulting in a more stable atmospheric profile?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Severe watch up for eastern Suffolk. We’ll see what can survive across the Sound. 

Just got my first hail since moving up here. Mostly around .5. But a few larger ones looked closer to .75.

IMG_0530.thumb.jpeg.94a7b81caea92044b171496560d67953.jpeg

• Like 6

The first half of the week will likely see above to occasionally much above normal readings. It is likely that Baltimore and Washington, DC could experience a heatwave. The temperature could even approach or reach 90° on Wednesday in New York City.

A fresh shot of Canadian air will arrive late in the week to close out the month. Following the frontal passage, highs will reach the middle and upper 70s.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.0°C for the week centered around August 21. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.35°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged 0.00°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the fall.

The SOI was +22.09 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +2.220 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 92% probability that New York City will have a cooler than normal August (1991-2020 normal). August will likely finish with a mean temperature near 75.0° (1.1° below normal).

• Like 1