• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Down to 59 now to a very nice 75 / 57.   Dry next 4 days near normal overall.  Warmer humid by Fri (8/16) some of the warmer spot could touch 90.  Ernesto stay out to seas but pushes the humidity into the region.  The coming weekend looks warm/humid and with trough pushing east clouds and storms/showers chance.  Looks a bit unsettled into next week.  Sustained heat /warmup towards the last week.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/eus/02/GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

29 minutes ago, LoboLeader1 said:

I picked a great week to take vacation, woke up to a very comfortable 53F this AM here in the Berks. 

It’s a real rarity these days to get a cooler and drier 5 day period. Most of our cooler periods have been due to heavy rains in the warm season. So looks like a great week of weather for outdoor activities coming up.

IMG_0799.thumb.png.3c3b4fa305da51ba76da455fdde8bc01.png

IMG_0798.thumb.png.08c0e43a83e6dff081b2733b371b00d0.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

When's the peak? I'll need to find a dark spot 

I see Roger Smith did a good job explaining in the post below yours. Did you have any luck seeing any? I saw 6 in the hour I spent outside from 12:30 to 1:30. A little disappointing to see only 6 since I've always seen more than that in an hour (usually more than 10), but a couple of them were especially nice. I saw a fireball and another one that was very long and colorful. I'm gonna spend another hour outside tonight and hopefully will see more this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I see Roger Smith did a good job explaining in the post below yours. Did you have any luck seeing any? I saw 6 in the hour I spent outside from 12:30 to 1:30. A little disappointing to see only 6 since I've always seen more than that in an hour (usually more than 10), but a couple of them were especially nice. I saw a fireball and another one that was very long and colorful. I'm gonna spend another hour outside tonight and hopefully will see more this time.

Nice! I crashed around 11 unfortunately so didn't get outside. Maybe tonight

And yes Roger gave a great explanation 

• Like 1

Was able to observe 22 meteors between 2-3am this morning but that was the sideshow because the Aurora blew my socks off between 2:25-2:40am with red pinks and a couple white pillars. Caught me off guard I thought I was having visions lol.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2024 at 8:19 PM, SACRUS said:

Records:

Highs:

EWR:  102 (1949)
NYC: 98 (1949)
LGA: 99 (1949)
JFK: 94 (1949)

Lows:

EWR: 57 (1962)
NYC: 55 (1879)
LGA: 57 (1962)
JFK: 54 (1964)

Historical:

1856 - The Isle Derniere (Last Island) disaster occurred off the coast of Louisiana. A storm tide drowned 140 vacationers as a five foot wave swept over Low Island during a hurricane. (The Weather Channel)

1882 - Sandusky OH noted a four minute snow squall during the morning, frost was reported in the suburbs of Chicago, and a killing frost was reported at Cresco IA. (The Weather Channel)

1884 - An earthquake, centered near New York City and registering a magnitude 5.5, hit the region a little after 2 PM. The tremor made houses shake, chimneys fall, and residents wonder what the heck was going on, according to a New York Times article two days later.

1898 - The temperature at Pendleton OR climbed all the way to 119 degrees at set a state record. (The Weather Channel)

1924 - Colorado's deadliest tornado killed a woman and nine children in one house along its twenty-mile path east southeast of Thurman. Mennonite men had left the farm to provide possible aid, as the 200-yard wide storm was first seen while far away.(The Weather Channel)

1936 - The temperature soared to 114 degrees at Plain Dealing, LA, and reached 120 degrees at Ozark AR, to establish record highs for those two states. (The Weather Channel)

1980 - Hurricane Allen came ashore above Brownsville, TX, dropping fifteen inches of rain near San Antonio, and up to 20 inches in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Tidal flooding occurred along the South Texas coast. Hurricane Allen packed winds to 150 mph, and also spawned twenty-nine tornadoes. Total damage from the storm was estimated at 750 million dollars. (David Ludlum)

1987 - Unseasonably hot weather continued in the southeastern U.S. Ten cities in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina reported record high temperatures for the date. Macon GA hit 101 degrees. A tropical depression deluged southeastern Texas and southwestern Louisiana with torrential rains. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Citizens of Bluefield, WV, where the Chamber of Commerce provides free lemonade on days when the temperature warms into the 90s, were able to celebrate their record high of 90 degrees. Eight other cities also reported record high temperatures for the date,including Bismarck ND with a reading of 102 degrees.(The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thirty-eight cities in the south central and southeastern U.S. reported record low temperatures for the date, including Asheville NC with a reading of 48 degrees, and Victoria TX with a low of 63 degrees. Oklahoma City OK reported a record cool afternoon high of 71 degrees, and the daily high of 64 degrees at Raleigh NC established a record for August. In Arizona, a record sixty-four day streak of 100 degree days at Phoenix came to an end.(The National Weather Summary)

Between this and the 6 inches of snow and slush on that Lake Michigan ship two days prior, sounds like 1882 would have been an exciting time for a weather weenie.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

nice cloud structures (if rather squat) on this front.  somebody’s getting a nice little storm i imagine

Yeah, we always get these photogenic cloud structures when a cold pool is moving overhead. 

• Like 1

Absolutely shocked 880 AM is signing off the air at the end of the month. Traffic and weather together on the eights will forever be remembered. To me this is short sighted. Whenever communications networks go down there was always good old 880AM. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Absolutely shocked 880 AM is signing off the air at the end of the month. Traffic and weather together on the eights will forever be remembered. To me this is short sighted. Whenever communications networks go down there was always good old 880AM. 

I still listen to Craig Allen on my drive into work in the morning.  Hopefully he shifts over to 1010 WINS

• Like 1