• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Obs 2024

It’s a “lovely” 84.9 here with plenty of humidity. By the way that’s inside my house, not outside. (My AC isn’t working). Actually, that’s better than the 87-88 of late yesterday. But the day is still young. Regardless, clouds and nearby storms are helping though the humidity is off the charts.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, marsman said:

TRDU and KRAX showing red on RadarScope. Down for anyone else? RDU looks like it's getting poured on right now. 

It’s been down since late yesterday. It’s dumping. 

Edit: we have received 1.10” or rain in the last 20 minutes. This is one of the most extreme downpours I’ve seen. 9” in rear view mirror working on 10” for the month

Getting heavy rain from a thunderstorm now. Due to a combo of potential heavy rain today with very heavy rains earlier this week and last weekend (5” IMBY), a flood watch was already in effect for today/tonight. It did lighten up pretty quickly, however.

*Edit: ended up with only ~0.25” due to it lasting only a short time

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 12:57 PM, cbmclean said:

Got 0.81 early this morning but have been dodging cells since then.  Really would like to pick up a 2" for the event try to keep the lawn/garden limping through the semi-permanent heat wave it seems we're going to be in during this summer.  

Can you believe the turnaround and not from anything tropical?

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Can you believe the turnaround and not from anything tropical?

No to be frank I didn't see it coming.  Most wet periods seem to underperform, but this was not one of them.

Got 1.85" today for a monthly total of 11.89".    

• Like 1

There’s a deluge here from a thunderstorm: edit: had some wind with this earlier but now the CTG is very close with numerous strokes, worst I’ve seen in a long time! Lost my Comcast connection. Power went out but came back.

CHATHAM GA-JASPER SC-  
638 PM EDT FRI JUL 26 2024  

..FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 930 PM EDT THIS EVENING  

* WHAT...FLOODING CAUSED BY EXCESSIVE RAINFALL IS EXPECTED.  

* WHERE...PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST GEORGIA, INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING  
COUNTY, CHATHAM AND SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA, INCLUDING THE  
FOLLOWING COUNTY, JASPER.  

* WHEN...UNTIL 930 PM EDT.  

* IMPACTS...MINOR FLOODING IN LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.  
WATER OVER ROADWAYS. OVERFLOWING POOR DRAINAGE AREAS. PONDING OF  
WATER IN URBAN OR OTHER AREAS IS OCCURRING OR IS IMMINENT.  

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...  
- AT 636 PM EDT, DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH  
TORRENTIAL RAINFALL EXTENDING FROM DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH INTO  
COASTAL PORTIONS OF JASPER COUNTY, SOUTH CAROLINA. THESE  
STORMS ARE SLOW MOVING AND WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A  
QUICK 1 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN. THIS WILL RESULT IN MINOR  
FLOODING OF LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.

Not in my immediate area but now there’s this (by the way I got 2”+ of rain within 30 minutes)! Now ~10.5” for month! Edit: 800+ lightning strokes detected in the area within 15 minutes!!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A  
* TORNADO WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF...  
BRYAN COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
CHATHAM COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  

* UNTIL 730 PM EDT.  

* AT 658 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A  
TORNADO WAS LOCATED OVER WINDSOR FOREST, MOVING SOUTH AT 10 MPH.  

HAZARD...TORNADO.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.  

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT  
WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR  
DESTROYED. DAMAGE TO ROOFS, WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL  
OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY.  

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  
COFFEE BLUFF, WINDSOR FOREST, HUNTER ARMY AIRFIELD, MIDTOWN  
SAVANNAH, DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH, MONTGOMERY, VERNONBURG, WHITE BLUFF  
AND FORT MCALLISTER

——————-
709 PM EDT FRI JUL 26 2024  

...TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 730 PM EDT FOR BRYAN AND   
CHATHAM COUNTIES...  

AT 709 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO   
WAS LOCATED OVER WINDSOR FOREST, MOVING SOUTH AT 10 MPH. THIS STORM   
HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING A WELL DEFINED FUNNEL CLOUD AND COULD   
PRODUCE A TORNADO AT ANY TIME. 

Edit ———————
0630 PM FUNNEL CLOUD 2 NNW SAVANNAH 32.08N 81.10W  
07/26/2024 CHATHAM GA PUBLIC  

AN INDIVIDUAL ON REPORTED A VIDEO ON SOCIAL MEDIA OF A  
FUNNEL CLOUD FROM ELECTRIC MOON SKYDECK AT THE JW  
MARRIOTT HOTEL. TIME ESTIMATED VIA RADAR.

Rain finally lightened up considerably ~40 minutes ago. The street out front flooded and even the sidewalks flooded on both sides as water went well over the curbs. I’m guessing that was ~3” rain within one hour. Keep in mind I had 5” during the 7 days before this giving me ~11.25” for July to date! I’ve had lots of storms this month but this complex of storms appears to have taken the cake. Besides the rain (along with decent winds near the start), the CTG lightning frequency was among the worst I can recall at least in several years. The radar detected 800+ strokes within 15 minutes over the area! Many vehicles got stuck in flooding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

Rain finally lightened up considerably ~40 minutes ago. The street out front flooded and even the sidewalks flooded on both sides as water went well over the curbs. I’m guessing that was ~3” rain within one hour. Keep in mind I had 5” during the 7 days before this giving me ~11.25” for July to date! I’ve had lots of storms this month but this complex of storms appears to have taken the cake. Besides the rain (along with decent winds near the start), the CTG lightning frequency was among the worst I can recall at least in several years. The radar detected 800+ strokes within 15 minutes over the area! Many vehicles got stuck in flooding.

I was in town for a big chunk of that... spent the worst of it parked in front of Homegoods on Abercorn by the mall; crazy lightning and the parking lot started flooding (so I decided it was time to relocate). 

It's funny, tonight was the first night of my son's VBS and we got that storm, and last year on the first nigh of it we drove home on I-16 through something just as crazy.

Still managed to get .55 at the house today, even though all the action was further east...

Screenshot_20240726_212524_Ambient Weather.jpg

• Thanks 1

Picked up .07" this morning. I am now at 10.29" for the month. Side note: today has been refreshing so far. Clouds and a stiff northerly wind has made feel good for late July. It is currently 80/73 at 12:35 pm.

• Like 1

Here we go again!

GAZ116>119-SCZ047-048-051-312115-  
COASTAL CHATHAM-INLAND CHATHAM-INLAND BRYAN-COASTAL BRYAN-INLAND  
JASPER-COASTAL JASPER-BEAUFORT-  
434 PM EDT WED JUL 31 2024  

...STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL IMPACT PORTIONS OF BRYAN, CHATHAM,  
BEAUFORT AND JASPER COUNTIES...  

AT 434 PM EDT, NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED  
STRONG THUNDERSTORMS ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM NEAR GODLEY STATION  
TO FORT MCALLISTER, AND MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH.  

HAZARD...STRONG WINDS 45 TO 55 MPH.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.  

IMPACT...EXPECT MINOR DAMAGE TO TREE LIMBS AND BLOWING AROUND OF  
LIGHT, UNSECURED OBJECTS.  

SOME LOCATIONS IN THE PATH OF THESE STORMS INCLUDE...  
POOLER, BLUFFTON, RICHMOND HILL, TYBEE ISLAND, WILMINGTON ISLAND,  
FORT PULASKI NATIONAL MONUMENT, BELLINGER HILL AREA, AND MIDTOWN  
SAVANNAH.

Due to much faster movement than recent storms, the strong effects from this one lasted only ~15 minutes. However, the wind from this at the start was probably the strongest yet of the many July thunderstorms here. The rain was torrential and the combo of that with wind strength/direction actually blew in some water under the door into the foyer, highly unusual. The short duration prevented major street flooding. I’ll check my rainfall later.

Edit: It appears that despite the short duration that I got 1”+.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gtg947h said:

Wind was blowing out this way too... picked up .68 in about 30 min.  Then it blew out, and left us with a pleasant evening at the neighborhood pool...

Yesterday’s thunderstorm could easily have qualified as severe imho due to high winds near the start. I can’t recall the last time I had a puddle just inside the foyer due to the wind blowing so hard (evidently right toward the door) allowing it to sneak underneath a despite it being a pretty tight space. Also, whereas I didn’t lose power, I saw a good number of traffic lights that were still out a couple of hours after the storm not too far from me. 

Yesterday’s rainfall at my place ended up at ~1”. That gave me a grand total of ~12.25” for July. What a stormy and wet month! This was the wettest month here since the similar 13.25" during August of 2022 (not that long ago).

Just since July 19th, I got ~9.25”! The last time it was this wet here during that short a period was the 10” I got Sept. 1-10, 2022. June through Sept. 10 of 2022 was incredibly wet here, pushing the water table all of the way up, which lead to AC condensation drainage line backup.

Inside the house I had a hottest of ~88 for the month and probably for all-time due to no AC for a couple of days.

• Like 1