• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Obs 2024

On 7/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, jburns said:

Maybe I should have made my post last month.  After being just missed by what looked on radar as a serious storm I managed to pick up 0.63” late this afternoon.  We need a lot more but it is enough to activate my weed lawn so a mowing I will soon be.

And just like that a robust storm last night and I now have had 2.72” in the last two days. If I’m very quiet I can hear all the plants in my yard cheering,

• Like 2

It’s a repeat of Saturday evening here (which gave me just over 2”) including nearby CTG lightning:

FLOOD ADVISORY  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC  
445 PM EDT MON JUL 22 2024  

GAC051-222245-  
/O.NEW.KCHS.FA.Y.0048.240722T2045Z-240722T2245Z/  
/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/  
CHATHAM GA-  
445 PM EDT MON JUL 22 2024  

..FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 645 PM EDT THIS EVENING  

* WHAT...FLOODING CAUSED BY EXCESSIVE RAINFALL IS EXPECTED.  

* WHERE...A PORTION OF SOUTHEAST GEORGIA, INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING  
COUNTY, CHATHAM.  

* WHEN...UNTIL 645 PM EDT.  

* IMPACTS...MINOR FLOODING IN LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.  

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...  
- AT 444 PM EDT, DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED HEAVY RAIN DUE TO  
THUNDERSTORMS. MINOR FLOODING IS ONGOING OR EXPECTED TO BEGIN  
SHORTLY IN THE ADVISORY AREA. BETWEEN 1 AND 2 INCHES OF RAIN  
HAVE FALLEN BETWEEN DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH AND CHATHAM CITY.  
- ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE EXPECTED  
OVER THE AREA. THIS ADDITIONAL RAIN WILL RESULT IN MINOR  
FLOODING.

————————

Just like on Saturday evening:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC  
517 PM EDT MON JUL 22 2024  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0510 PM FLOOD SAVANNAH 32.05N 81.08W  
07/22/2024 CHATHAM GA 911 CALL CENTER  

EMERGENCY RESPONDERS AND TRAFFIC MAPS ARE REPORTING  
SEVERAL FLOODED ROADWAYS ACROSS THE SAVANNAH METRO AREA  
DUE TO HEAVY RAINFALL. SEVERAL VEHICLES ARE FLOODED.

I measured 1.75” over ~1.5 hours (~4:45-6:15 PM) (~5” last 4 days) (~~8” this month) though Doppler radar estimates are 2-4” over much of the area 3-6:15 PM today, which started in downtown. That lead to a flash flood warning. The flooding was made worse due to heavy rains just 2-3 days ago.

Even though I got a little more on Saturday (~2”), today’s 1.75” lead to more standing water in the yard. It has finally decreased to light rain.

This heavy rain was over a not very wide portion of the county from downtown SW to Georgetown. The heavy band was inland but parallel to the coastline. The beach/islands and the well inland airport got much less to almost nothing. 

Just a trace today so far. I don't think we will finish the month above average. I'm still under 2 inches of rain for the month.  It's amazing how consistent areas are getting rain and how areas are consistently not getting the heavy amounts. 

3 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Just a trace today so far. I don't think we will finish the month above average. I'm still under 2 inches of rain for the month.  It's amazing how consistent areas are getting rain and how areas are consistently not getting the heavy amounts. 

Hang in there.  Those of us who are riding high now could be back in a dustbowl next month watching you hit by daily showers.  Precipitation is a fickle beast, especially in SE summer.

• Like 1

What a time for the A.C. (only ~11.5 years old) to suddenly stop working. Dewpoints here are in the high 70s. :facepalm:
 It had never given me any problems whatsoever up through earlier today. The inside unit’s blower is moving air but the air coming out through the vents isn’t cool. The outdoor unit is also running.

There’s no icing evident. The filter had been replaced just 3 weeks ago and is hardly dirty. The brand is Trane.

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

We missed all the storms today just right between them. 0.03” total, but keeps our rain streak alive 

Don't give up today yet...the radar looks interesting to your southwest...

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

What a time for the A.C. (only ~11.5 years old) to suddenly stop working. Dewpoints here are in the high 70s. :facepalm:
 It had never given me any problems whatsoever up through earlier today. The inside unit’s blower is moving air but the air coming out through the vents isn’t cool. The outdoor unit is also running.

There’s no icing evident. The filter had been replaced just 3 weeks ago and is hardly dirty. The brand is Trane.

Sounds like a leak.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yotaman said:

Sounds like a leak.

Thanks. I need to clarify something. The outside unit’s fan is working fine (on continuously), but I listened more closely since my prior post. The compressor, itself, is actually staying on for only 15-20 seconds at a time and then it shuts off for 1.5 minutes. That cycle keeps repeating. When compressor is on, I feel hot air blowing. When off, the air blowing out is not hot. Also, neither pipe connected to it feels cold.

Edit: I googled central AC compressor turns on and off and found this great YouTube video: it suggests it could be the “filter drier”, which I had never heard of before:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cbmclean said:

Don't give up today yet...the radar looks interesting to your southwest...

I gave up too early :lol:

7” in rear view mirror, pushing 8” on the month. 0.67” and raining steady with more to come. Back to bed

0.84” was our total overnight 

14 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Good Lord! What a turnaround for some of you guys.  Literally eating dust last month to putting up huge numbers this month and still a lot more to come!

Getting 7” of rain in a month is a good month. Getting over 7” of rain MORE than the previous month is absurd. Add my April + May + June totals and this month exceeds the sum. Incredible turnaround 

• Like 1