• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Obs 2024

2 hours ago, marsman said:

This weekend's disturbance may already be causing problems east of Raleigh. The line that came through RDU last night stalled to the east, Flood Warnings up from Greenville south to Kinston, no strangers to flooding there. 

The line is still stuck in almost the same place!!

5 hours ago, marsman said:

This weekend's disturbance may already be causing problems east of Raleigh. The line that came through RDU last night stalled to the east, Flood Warnings up from Greenville south to Kinston, no strangers to flooding there. 

Indeed it is ... After many weeks of bone dry conditions NOAA has Pitt county in "severe drought" which can easily be seen simply by looking at our vegetation but that ended abruptly today. That eastbound frontal boundary dropped a deluge here in Greenville this morning (1"+)and then after clearing the area returned this afternoon as a westbound front and slammed us even harder (2"+). Police department is telling people to stay off the roads due to widespread flash flooding. Feast or famine eh? Thoughts to the farmers. 

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Seems to be a big of low level subsidence that is inhibiting the development of heavier precip across the triad. We may end up underperforming unless we can get some better lift.

Definitely some winners and losers but the AFD kinda highlighted that. Either you get under one of the bands or you will be nickel and diming it. Raining steady here right now but we’ve only picked up 0.16” so far

• Sad 1

Got 0.81 early this morning but have been dodging cells since then.  Really would like to pick up a 2" for the event try to keep the lawn/garden limping through the semi-permanent heat wave it seems we're going to be in during this summer.  

A pop up here lead to some close-by CTG lightning strikes, including one which seemed like it may have been right on my property and lead to the power blinking. Rainfall light so far/ongoing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Definitely some winners and losers but the AFD kinda highlighted that. Either you get under one of the bands or you will be nickel and diming it. Raining steady here right now but we’ve only picked up 0.16” so far

The precip distribution actually ended up being fairly uniform surprisingly enough, but the precip cutoff was just a bit further East than modeled (we were living on the edge anyhow). Thankfully we got the heavy rain last Sunday that put a dent in the drought 

mrms_qpe_024h_p.us_ma (1).png

Ended up with 1.92" for the day yesterday and got an additional .36" this morning. Currently just after noon it is 85/78 with a feels like temp of 96. Storms are building once again.

Edit: Just picked up an additional .24" giving me a 2 day total of 2.52"

• Like 1

The next 3-4 days look brutal with regard to the HI. With the heavy rainfall that RDU received last week, it will be interesting to see whether or not RDU resumes being hotter than FAY and other nearby areas. It is a near certainty the entire area will be hot but will RDU resume sticking out now that the drought has lessened? So far today, it looks pretty uniform with RDU and nearby mainly 92-3 at noon and FAY up at 95.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GaWx said:

The next 3-4 days look brutal with regard to the HI. With the heavy rainfall that RDU received last week, it will be interesting to see whether or not RDU resumes being hotter than FAY and other nearby areas. It is a near certainty the entire area will be hot but will RDU resume sticking out now that the drought has lessened? So far today, it looks pretty uniform with RDU and nearby mainly 92-3 at noon and FAY up at 95.

As of this writing, RDU had made it to at least 100. We maxed out at 97.9 I believe, currently sitting at 97.1. So 2+ degrees more than here again

• Thanks 1

Topped out at 97 which is our high for the year so far. Heat index topped out at 119. So clouds moved in with the sea breeze and dropped us to 89 at 4pm. Back up to 91 with the sun back out now at 5:30.

40 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I bet RDU hits 105 today. Heat index of 95 at 9 am at my house. We’re going to surpass heat advisory levels I almost guarantee it. Make it stop

It's already 88/80 for heat index of 105 and it's not even 10 am.

1 minute ago, NorthHillsWx said:

91 with a heat index of 106 here. Unbearable 

Seems like dew points have been running a good bit higher than yesterday's forecast, especially from the triangle East. Temps meanwhile are if anything a little ahead of schedule. 

2 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Seems like dew points have been running a good bit higher than yesterday's forecast, especially from the triangle East. Temps meanwhile are if anything a little ahead of schedule. 

A 78 degree dew point at 11 am is not a good sign if you wanted mixing. They upped the advisory to a warning after my post a couple hours ago. It’s going to hit warning levels by noon. Brutal day incoming 

13 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

A 78 degree dew point at 11 am is not a good sign if you wanted mixing. They upped the advisory to a warning after my post a couple hours ago. It’s going to hit warning levels by noon. Brutal day incoming 

RDU 11AM today: 92/74

RDU 11AM yesterday: 91/72