• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Obs 2024

New month. Post all obs here.

Picked up some much need rain this morning as storms moved in at 3:00 am. Totaled .70". Been so dry here that there is no water in any ditches here even after that rain. Cold front moved thru just before 10 am and dropped temp down to 70. 

• Like 1

New month. Post all obs here.
Picked up some much need rain this morning as storms moved in at 3:00 am. Totaled .70". Been so dry here that there is no water in any ditches here even after that rain. Cold front moved thru just before 10 am and dropped temp down to 70. 

Same here in Alamance County last night. Big cell dumped about .6 inches on us in 30 minutes and knocked out power, drains and yard had fully absorbed inside of an hour after that.

I consider my area to have been fortunate rainfall-wise since the ~2.5” from the tropical low/Invest 92L of 6/21-3. There were pop ups around the area later in June but hardly any rainfall here from those. But then early July has been wet thanks to a stationary front/trough. I’ve received ~2” with ~1” of that just since noon today (just ended).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eyewall said:

image.png.67087c5b9c4870e6c4399ba352a1370f.png

I don't question the extreme nature of today's heat, but I have lost confidence in RDUs measurement integrity.  Similar numbers observed in the area?

ETA: Just saw that RDU recorded 106 today while KFAY was at 101.  I call shenanigans.

ETA2: Just saw this on the NWS facebook page for RDU:

BREAKING: All-time record high/daily record high set at Raleigh & the daily record high set at Fayetteville.
The high at Raleigh was 106 degrees which breaks the all-time record high of 105 degrees and also sets a new daily high record. The high at Fayetteville was 101°F which ties the old record high.
A technician was on-site at the RDU ASOS platform at the time of the record and corroborated the accuracy of the sensor temperature with a handheld calibration device. In addition, the contract weather observer checked the temperature during the afternoon and using two other different devices they noted similar readings at around the time the record was set.

Been in Alaska for the past two weeks, camping and hiking. Mornings were in upper 40s and afternoons never got warmer than mid 70s. Most afternoons were in the 60s, particularly where we were hiking at elevation.

Made it home last night and checked my PWS. Only 0.11 inch of rainfall IMBY over that period. Ugh! Yesterday’s high was 100.4 IMBY with a heat index of 120! I don’t think I’ve ever seen it that high on my Vantage Vue.

I may challenge it today, though. Current temp is 92.5 at 1 PM. Heat index is reading 105.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I don't question the extreme nature of today's heat, but I have lost confidence in RDUs measurement integrity.  Similar numbers observed in the area?

ETA: Just saw that RDU recorded 106 today while KFAY was at 101.  I call shenanigans.

ETA2: Just saw this on the NWS facebook page for RDU:

BREAKING: All-time record high/daily record high set at Raleigh & the daily record high set at Fayetteville.
The high at Raleigh was 106 degrees which breaks the all-time record high of 105 degrees and also sets a new daily high record. The high at Fayetteville was 101°F which ties the old record high.
A technician was on-site at the RDU ASOS platform at the time of the record and corroborated the accuracy of the sensor temperature with a handheld calibration device. In addition, the contract weather observer checked the temperature during the afternoon and using two other different devices they noted similar readings at around the time the record was set.

RDU is sticking out like a hot thumb again today with 102 at 4PM. This tweet from Brad Panovich says there’s a warm bias though much more during daytime than night:

https://x.com/wxbrad/status/1809595420802261228?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

The problem appears to not be with the sensor for that would mean just as much too hot at night, too, along with when it is cloudy, windy, etc. Rather, it appears per Brad to be due to the surroundings:

“This is not an ideal siting situation for KRDU. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's way too much gravel and concrete and a building too close to the ASOS. Compare KRDU versus KCLT ASOS, which is surrounded by vegetation and no buildings”

From here:

https://x.com/wxbrad/status/1809626846633320508?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1809626846633320508|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

@eyewall

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, GaWx said:

RDU is sticking out like a hot thumb again today with 102 at 4PM. This tweet from Brad Panovich says there’s a warm bias though much more during daytime than night:

https://x.com/wxbrad/status/1809595420802261228?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

The problem appears to not be with the sensor for that would mean just as much too hot at night, too, along with when it is cloudy, windy, etc. Rather, it appears per Brad to be due to the surroundings:

“This is not an ideal siting situation for KRDU. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's way too much gravel and concrete and a building too close to the ASOS. Compare KRDU versus KCLT ASOS, which is surrounded by vegetation and no buildings”

From here:

https://x.com/wxbrad/status/1809626846633320508?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1809626846633320508|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

@eyewall

The new runway is also going up right where the station is. I wonder if anymore vegetation has been removed or if there is any construction equipment nearby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully received 1/2 inch at some point during the night but just 30 mile to my west some lucky folks got near 4 inches.  Today is another day so maybe it will be my counties time to cash in on some much needed rain. 

Friday's 106F at RDU does seem a bit much. From what's been posted here sensor location would be a plausible explanation. Here in Greenville (population ~100K) off to your east we too have been in a prolonged dry spell (grass is brown) so we have similar antecedent conditions yet we barely made it to 100F. On Saturday we topped at 99F. Don't know about RDU but Greenville's average July high is 91.4F.

Greenville temps.png

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1