Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Banter 2024

George BM

17 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

Mr. Hyde, I'm done with the Craig Kimbrel experience...

i agree, but one of those walks was a borderline strike 3, and Henderson kicking that ground ball didn't help either. 

13 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Glad to hear you all had such a successful season. The (potentially negative) other side of that coin, is exactly what you've postulated and what you're nervous about -- that your team will be a "victim" of your success, that you get moved up 1-3 divisions, and then get spanked in some or most summer competitions, thereby knocking down and/or demoralizing swimmers who are really trying hard...and then you STAY in your division, or start making your trip "back down the division ladder."

I don't mean to rain on your parade...but it's inevitable, and one of the reasons I hated the NVSL, from this vantage point. On the other hand, I don't know how (or if) the system can be fixed. I've been on BOTH sides of that coin. Lately, our neighborhood pool (which we haven't been back to since our sons stopped swimming) continues their drop to the "bottom" of the NVSL divisions...after being in "the middle" of the NVSL divisions a decade or more ago. It's really NOT about being a member of the Tuckahoe or Overlee or McLean teams...and to those of you who might be part of those summer clubs, fine. I just don't want MY kids competing for blood at THAT level in NVSL Divisions 1/2.

And trust me, that's not sour grapes. My youngest son competed with all NVSL swimmers, all VHSL swimmers, NCAP swimmers, and a fair amount of swimmers on a national level (and he still holds records against swimmers in most of those realms). All I EVER wanted for OUR sons...and for EVERY kid at our neighborhood pool...was to have a fighting chance to swim their best, and just maybe, make a record. My youngest was flying high right up until his senior year of swimming at VHSL states...when he was accepted at a couple D2 schools with scholarships at that point...when he came to us in tears and told us, he just couldn't swim anymore. Period. And he hasn't been in the pool since then.

THAT makes me sick to my stomach. While he chose those levels of competition since he was in late elementary school...it burnt him out, and badly. What I never want to see...and what I'll do everything in my power to avoid...is ANY swimmer within my influence reaching that point. Bringing this back around to your OP...the NVSL used to be about casual summer competition, but it's become like any other level of blood sport competition in our society. And that's not good.

I recall you mentioning your experiences before and I 100% understand where you're coming from. We have a family for whom swimming is *the* sport and one of their kids is one of our All Stars (the other is a coach and the other is one of the top in their age group). They're an absolutely wonderful family, but I get concerned that the kids might run into that burnout phase, which I don't want to have any responsibility for. There are a number of other year-round swimmers on the team - some of whom are quite good - but I don't have quite the same concerns about them flaming out...hard.

I feel that a huge part of my job is to maintain that fun atmosphere - I dress up according to our themes, I dance (for a minute or two) after the meets or just on deck during meets, and I go out of my way to cheer each and every kid in the pool no matter their skill level. I'm a very competitive person (and was a very competitive athlete back in the day), so I feel that being competitive is a key to having fun, but winning at all costs and being competitive are two entirely separate things! Summer swim is supposed to be pure fun, so I've been doing my best to build the team so that we can actually fill lanes (we're still not quite there yet) while also making sure that the culture is built around enjoying every moment of an intense summer swim season!

With all that said, I understand that teams need to go up and go down the ladder so that there's some semblance of parity in the divisions. It's not a perfect science, by any stretch (our season is testament to that), but I do think the league does its best to match up teams of similar size and ability (I won't get into what it's like in the top divisions because they're playing a completely different game than the rest of us). We might surprise some folks next year, but I also know that it's likelier we'll get knocked around a little, so I'll just set the expectations at the beginning of the season and emphasize (again) that we're all out there to have fun!

39 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

Mr. Hyde, I'm done with the Craig Kimbrel experience...

This. I said it when he blew that save before the all star break- another game the Orioles managed to get lucky and pull out the win- he simply cannot be trusted in a big spot, and that's pretty much the only requirement for a closer.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 4:27 PM, Kay said:

Update. Butterfly has launched. Looks like you called it @IronTy 

611043987_Screenshot2024-07-24at4_23_44PM.png.0944e9c599751d5d94b130b9d1e26fb3.png

That thing eclosed pretty quickly, probably the warm weather sped up development.  I've got about fifty L5 regalis caterpillars and they are devastating all my sweetgum, I'm so ready for them to pupate...next week.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I recall you mentioning your experiences before and I 100% understand where you're coming from. We have a family for whom swimming is *the* sport and one of their kids is one of our All Stars (the other is a coach and the other is one of the top in their age group). They're an absolutely wonderful family, but I get concerned that the kids might run into that burnout phase, which I don't want to have any responsibility for. There are a number of other year-round swimmers on the team - some of whom are quite good - but I don't have quite the same concerns about them flaming out...hard.

I feel that a huge part of my job is to maintain that fun atmosphere - I dress up according to our themes, I dance (for a minute or two) after the meets or just on deck during meets, and I go out of my way to cheer each and every kid in the pool no matter their skill level. I'm a very competitive person (and was a very competitive athlete back in the day), so I feel that being competitive is a key to having fun, but winning at all costs and being competitive are two entirely separate things! Summer swim is supposed to be pure fun, so I've been doing my best to build the team so that we can actually fill lanes (we're still not quite there yet) while also making sure that the culture is built around enjoying every moment of an intense summer swim season!

With all that said, I understand that teams need to go up and go down the ladder so that there's some semblance of parity in the divisions. It's not a perfect science, by any stretch (our season is testament to that), but I do think the league does its best to match up teams of similar size and ability (I won't get into what it's like in the top divisions because they're playing a completely different game than the rest of us). We might surprise some folks next year, but I also know that it's likelier we'll get knocked around a little, so I'll just set the expectations at the beginning of the season and emphasize (again) that we're all out there to have fun!

You (and your wife? Can't remember!) as team reps are some of the few exceptions I've read about in NVSL in recent years, when it comes to trying to keep everything on an even keel in terms of competition, fun, fulfillment. It's not an easy balance. But those kinds of team reps are a rare thing these days in NVSL. I tip my hat to you and yours, AND to your pool team...and certainly wish you all continue to "move up the ladder"...and to remain competitive!!

Bottom line, I never served as a team rep, my wife did for a few years...I was a deck official in several roles...but I never wanted a kid to feel so dejected, or left behind, that they couldn't hang with the team. And I think that's what we ALL want at the end of the day in NVSL.  :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronTy said:

That thing eclosed pretty quickly, probably the warm weather sped up development.  I've got about fifty L5 regalis caterpillars and they are devastating all my sweetgum, I'm so ready for them to pupate...next week.  

Looked it up, beautiful moth and a boss caterpillar.

It was faster than I expected. From my slight research I thought maybe a couple weeks.

I simply can not resist any longer. I really feel the Need to gloat.

Dale City has had 27.48 inches of rain this year.

Buda, has had nearly 37 inches since Jan 1 2024. Wow it is SO HARD TO BELIEVE! Grass and weeds are going nuts! I am having a HARD TIME keeping our yard clear of weeds! Some weeds along our back roads are getting eight, nine feet tall! WE are almost ten inches more than my old stomping grounds! I can hardly believe it! Here it is JULY, and we have had EIGHT INCHES of rain for the month, 5.3 inches of it just in the past three day storm cycle! Storm Cycle! It sounds like Palisades Tahoe in the '22-'23 Winter!

We are getting George BM'ed by rain this year!

No dangerous lightning. No high winds. No hail. Just nice heavy life giving sweet rain!

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Norby better be a White Sock or a Tiger by this rule next week

You get Eflin for now

The Orioles are acquiring right-hander Zach Eflin from the Rays, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic on X. The Rays will receive three prospects in the deal, per Jeff Passan of ESPN on X. They are outfielder Matthew Etzel, right-hander Jackson Baumeister and utility player Mac Horvath.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/orioles-to-acquire-zach-eflin-from-rays.html#google_vignette

1 hour ago, yoda said:

You get Eflin for now

The Orioles are acquiring right-hander Zach Eflin from the Rays, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic on X. The Rays will receive three prospects in the deal, per Jeff Passan of ESPN on X. They are outfielder Matthew Etzel, right-hander Jackson Baumeister and utility player Mac Horvath.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/orioles-to-acquire-zach-eflin-from-rays.html#google_vignette

I like this trade a lot.  I still think they really need to add another starter that's at a higher tier, but the adds today are good ones.  If today is it, that's not going to get it done for a team with World Series ambitions. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I like both trades so far today. We definitely need another bigger name at starter. Time to shake things up for this team. It’s that time of year 

Given what they paid for Eflin, it's maybe not crazy to think they could get Erick Fedde from the white sox without giving up any of the big 3-4 prospects (Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, and Kjerstad).  Make it so!

• Like 1

Staying in a cottage on a Welsh farm near Snowdonia. Internet is spotty but here are a couple photos- one of the cottage and another of a typical scene from Snowdonia. I'll post a few more in the next day or 2. Temps mostly in the low to mid 60s. Only a few days in the 70s and one that hit 80 the whole time I have been in the UK. Back to reality late next week.

cottage.thumb.jpg.4e2e15c144bb6d9d4f485439b1a90a7e.jpg

snow1.thumb.jpg.c509b7437ba7eb42c806e260954d19db.jpg

• Like 10

On 7/26/2024 at 4:56 PM, yoda said:

You get Eflin for now

It looks like he has a losing record, and ERA 4.0+ in a time when the league batting average is .240. Do they plan on starting him in the playoffs? I don't really see a big difference between winning the division and entering as a wild card team.  It looks like they gave up two 2nd round picks from last years draft for him.. 

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

O’s need a prayer circle, seance, ayahuasca trip, voodoo sacrifice…something. 

Was at the game, and that joke of a play on a pop up behind third with two outs that gave up two runs made me think they weren't gonna win that game. Bad defense and not much offense. Mullins had 4 RBI tho!