Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Discobs 2024

George BM

12 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Why the constant drought  talk then?

Isn't that about a general trend over the past twenty years rather than the actual conditions now?

• Like 1

DCA, along with likely logging another 97+ day, has been hanging around 107-110 for the heat index most of the day.

Here, our dewpoint has been around 80F all day - it's literally arresting when you step outside.

• Like 1

Storms seem to go way too far north now. Just look at our lack of clippers…could be a relationship between the two. How many systems have gone south of our latitude the last two years? I know it’s convenient to not talk about cc, but I think we’re seeing the impacts in real-time…at least on a short-term scale.

Nice breeze today…just enough to knock a branch onto a power line and take out the power to the neighborhood.   Ok weather gods what have I done to piss you off!  Whatever it is, I am sorry, truly very very sorry….currently 96 outside and 81 inside….

I never trust wind before storms. We’re better at partly sunny and stagnant before storms.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WEATHER53 said:

Why the constant drought  talk then?

Because it's bad for many right now outside of maybe NE MD.  Wasn't there a ridiculously wet year a few years ago where places got 60-80 inches compared to the average 40?  That probably skews it.  Anyway I'm seeing leaf drop from mature trees and have fewer hummingbirds and butterflies than I've ever seen at this point in summer

2 hours ago, GATECH said:

Nice breeze today…just enough to knock a branch onto a power line and take out the power to the neighborhood.   Ok weather gods what have I done to piss you off!  Whatever it is, I am sorry, truly very very sorry….currently 96 outside and 81 inside….

The breeze has been great today, but dude...so sorry. Our HVAC has been going full-tilt boogie since, oh hell...10 a.m. this morning?? I can't remember when our chiller has stayed on for HOURS at a time...I'm getting a little worried.

If we start having brownouts or full blackouts in this region due to power usage...we all gonna be suffering worse than when we lived through 2012 Derecho times.  :( 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

The breeze has been great today, but dude...so sorry. Our HVAC has been going full-tilt boogie since, oh hell...10 a.m. this morning?? I can't remember when our chiller has stayed on for HOURS at a time...I'm getting a little worried.

If we start having brownouts or full blackouts in this region due to power usage...we all gonna be suffering worse than when we lived through 2012 Derecho times.  :( 

Got the dimming of the lights about ten minutes ago in Haymarket.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Luckily it came back around 6…now gotta cool the house before the storms roll in

• Like 1

If we start having brownouts or full blackouts in this region due to power usage...we all gonna be suffering worse than when we lived through 2012 Derecho times.   

I’ve been digging around about energy usage issues but haven’t found anything. Have you?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

I’ve been digging around about energy usage issues but haven’t found anything. Have you?

No...and I typically use yourself, @GATECH and @H2O as bellwethers for this sort of thing. I have noticed in the past hour since my wife and I sat down to dinner....we had at least 3-4 little power spikes (mini-brownouts?) in that timeframe. I sure hope that doesn't turn into something more permanent.

Actually, just now, we just started with a driving downpour as opposed to the piddling showers we had 10 minutes ago. We will TAKE IT!

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Because it's bad for many right now outside of maybe NE MD.  Wasn't there a ridiculously wet year a few years ago where places got 60-80 inches compared to the average 40?  That probably skews it.  Anyway I'm seeing leaf drop from mature trees and have fewer hummingbirds and butterflies than I've ever seen at this point in summer

I'm pretty sure that was 2018, when Ellicott City got major flood damage three (four?) separate times.

That was the year of the atmospheric rivers. Like late June 2006 except a whole bunch of times.

8 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

No...and I typically use yourself, @GATECH and @H2O as bellwethers for this sort of thing. I have noticed in the past hour since my wife and I sat down to dinner....we had at least 3-4 little power spikes (mini-brownouts?) in that timeframe. I sure hope that doesn't turn into something more permanent.

Actually, just now, we just started with a driving downpour as opposed to the piddling showers we had 10 minutes ago. We will TAKE IT!

I noticed a little brown out yesterday.  Today’s outage was definitely branch down…happens all the time on fort hunt road…ironically our lines are underground but a fed from the lines on fort hunt 

• Like 1