• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Discobs 2024

George BM

Got home from work & again anxiously checked the rain gauge like so many times before , knowing once again the radar looked kind of good earlier - which usually equates to a few hundredths here....

Literally stunned to see 0.83  

By far the most rain since May 18th considering I hadn't come close to 2 inches total since then..

• Like 5

Piggybacking on the posts above, just .23” this week and the grass is struggling. I’ll spray for Bermuda grass (easy to spot now as it’s the only thing really green) and let the rest go dormant. I learned back in the stretch of extremely dry and hot of September and October 2019 that tall fescue will rebound quickly.

I think the region averages 3" per month. Anecdotally, I think those big, dumping blogs of rain only occur from April to August. Source: my side outside stairs drain only backs up during these months. No matter how clean I keep it!

Hurricanes that work their way up later in the summer, including September, tend to be more general, steady rain events over a 1-2 day period. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, coolio said:

I think the region averages 3" per month. Anecdotally, I think those big, dumping blogs of rain only occur from April to August. Source: my side outside stairs drain only backs up during these months. No matter how clean I keep it!

Hurricanes that work their way up later in the summer, including September, tend to be more general, steady rain events over a 1-2 day period. 

My condolences on those outside stairs...there are a TON of homes in our subdivision (built nearly 60 years ago) that suffer from so many clogging and backup issues, including us in the past. Being surrounded by mature oaks and maples doesn't help. I've had a new drain pan installed in our half-basement stairs, then covered the grill over THAT with a fine mesh, which has helped...but I'm always on patrol when it rains.

4 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

At this point I've just accepted that it won't rain appreciably here until we get into the Nov - April period of cloudy, wet and and temps in 40s-50s.  I'm keeping the garden and potted plants going and let the grass go

Pleasant overcast and 75 

The death of the gulf lows ended our chances for rain here and cemented our fate as the world's only humid desert climate.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

The death of the gulf lows ended our chances for rain here and cemented our fate as the world's only humid desert climate.

The lack of any actual, significant storms that target our region is a thing, and it's been a thing for about 2 years now.  I was just thinking recently about how we seem to excel at clouds and scattered vorts that basically do nothing once they get past the mountains.  I wonder if it's a product of an overactive Pacific/northern stream and a jet stream that's been too far north.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 87storms said:

The lack of any actual, significant storms that target our region is a thing, and it's been a thing for about 2 years now.  I was just thinking recently about how we seem to excel at clouds and scattered vorts that basically do nothing once they get past the mountains.  I wonder if it's a product of an overactive Pacific/northern stream and a jet stream that's been too far north.

20yrs ago it seemed like we were good for at least a couple good ole cold noreasters every winter, even if they were mostly rain.  Feels like it's been a while since we've had a good one. 

18 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

Got home from work & again anxiously checked the rain gauge like so many times before , knowing once again the radar looked kind of good earlier - which usually equates to a few hundredths here....

Literally stunned to see 0.83  

By far the most rain since May 18th considering I hadn't come close to 2 inches total since then..

I received .95.  Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stormy said:

I received .95.  Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our area of Eastern Augusta and northern Waynesboro most certainly needed those 2 storms last evening and they seemed to have also given the southern Shenandoah Nat Park and extreme western Albemarle a good dousing which was as dry as us...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

LOL, it has eased off, looks like .40 in about 7 or 8 minutes. 

And it picked back up. Going with 0.90 (best I can get reading from the window with flashlight) in 18 minutes! Still raining moderately ATM. 

• Like 1