Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Discobs 2024

George BM

21 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Latest HRRR is.....not encouraging for even garden variety storms.

16 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Latest HRRR…is not a great convective model in weakly forced mid-Atlantic summer conditions 

Yeah I actually think it showing multiple rounds of storms is encouraging…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

97 so far imby for the high. Cloud cover for the most part, don’t think I’ll make it to 100 but DCA might

It’s funny that you’ve been beating me all summer, but the last two days I’ve passed you up.  99.9 here at the moment.

39 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It’s funny that you’ve been beating me all summer, but the last two days I’ve passed you up.  99.9 here at the moment.

Yeah lol i mean, it had gotten much cloudier earlier today and yesterday, whereas before it was clear skies end to end. Felt like super mario 3 where the sun is trying to kill you

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah I actually think it showing multiple rounds of storms is encouraging…

Absolutely.   The HRRR is capturing the forcing and initiating convection, but because of the extreme issue with low-level drying, it can't possibly generate widespread, intense storms.   This is the environment it has the storms moving into:

image.thumb.png.9a47bf861ab4faa6246c51f4bc2f1db1.png

With that low of a surface dew point, it can't possibly show impressive storms, but we all know that the actual dew point will be at least 5 degrees higher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

That stuff in WV is looking more organized and headed generally towards the metro area from the SW. Maybe that's our urban flooder.

The decaying MCV remnant absolutely seems like the focus 

• Like 1

The lone warned cell in WV is probably riding some respectable dynamic in that it:

1.) Is already generating CG outside a favorable environment

2.) It's tall enough that LWX radar can pick it up

3.) It's tail end Charlie, so there's nothing robbing it from inflow.

• Like 1

Just now, astarck said:

Assuming the 99 at DCA is the high today, we will have a 14-day stretch with an average high of 97.2. That puts us behind only 1930 and 2011 as the hottest two-week stretch ever.

IMG_5632.jpeg

No sooner did I type this that DCA hit 100. That should round us up to 97.3 and breaks the tie with 2012.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Both of them were at 100 on the 2:00pm 5-minute ob.  BWI had also already cracked it earlier as seen in the 6 hour max.  Amazing run here.

Per the 18z RAOB, we're +26 at 925...that seems to be the threshold for our UHI to threaten 100 degree anymore.

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Both of them were at 100 on the 2:00pm 5-minute ob.  BWI had also already cracked it earlier as seen in the 6 hour max.  Amazing run here.

Matches the longest streak of 100+ at both sites. Should it reach 101F, that would be the first time at both locations with 4 consecutive days of temperatures at or above 101.

• Like 2