Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Discobs 2024

George BM

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

There have only been 12 days in the combined 152 year DCA record that have ever hit 104+.  So, I’d take the under.

I might take the over. +EPO patterns (500mb low over Alaska) usually bust a few degrees warmer from this range. Only way we stay under 103-104 in DC I think is if precip tomorrow interferes. 100 today and the pattern is only getting warmer.. 

32 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

Glad i planted mostly native/heat/drought resistant plants and shrubs....you can really tell the ones that are and aren't ok with hot and dry.

Here too!  I love the big, colorful sunpatiens and had a bunch last year but they are water needy.  This year lots of lantana and annual vinca which are tough as nails with high heat and dry

Already 86/70.  Not looking forward to commuting to DC on MARC train tomorrow with the problems they have with big heat

Just now, BlizzardNole said:

Here too!  I love the big, colorful sunpatiens and had a bunch last year but they are water needy.  This year lots of lantana and annual vinca which are tough as nails with high heat and dry

Already 86/70.  Not looking forward to commuting to DC on MARC train tomorrow with the problems they have with big heat

might wanna drive to shady grove and take the metro.

11 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

What temps do they start having issues? I'm traveling to Herndon on Thursday and will be taking MARC from Baltimore. Curious if I'll run into issues.

16 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

What temps do they start having issues? I'm traveling to Herndon on Thursday and will be taking MARC from Baltimore. Curious if I'll run into issues.

not sure if that line is electrified (I do know between DC and B'more is because those are Amtrak tracks) but the overhead wires can have issues when it gets 100F+.  Also the rails can get warped.

Metro will prob be running reduced speeds above ground today.

2 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

not sure if that line is electrified (I do know between DC and B'more is because those are Amtrak tracks) but the overhead wires can have issues when it gets 100F+.  Also the rails can get warped.

Metro will prob be running reduced speeds above ground today.

Thanks, more wondering my return trip, Silver to Metro Center, then Red to Union Station. Timing wise determining my return trip back

1 minute ago, RickinBaltimore said:

Thanks, more wondering my return trip, Silver to Metro Center, then Red to Union Station. Timing wise determining my return trip back

Yeah i would just monitor Amtrak/MARC alerts.  I was once on an Amtrak train from Boston back to NY on one of those early 2010s summer days when we were all like 100-105 (all the way up to New England), and a Metro North train in front of us ripped down the electric wires (because they were sagging).  We were stuck in New Haven for like 3 or 4 hours until Amtrak found some diesel engine to take us back to NY.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

Yeah i would just monitor Amtrak/MARC alerts.  I was once on an Amtrak train from Boston back to NY on one of those early 2010s summer days when we were all like 100-105 (all the way up to New England), and a Metro North train in front of us ripped down the electric wires (because they were sagging).  We were stuck in New Haven for like 3 or 4 hours until Amtrak found some diesel engine to take us back to NY.

If I get back to Union Station early enough I can Flixbus to Baltimore, and that bus stop is like 2 miles from my front door, which would be perfect. 

• Like 1