Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Discobs 2024

George BM

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

A good delimiter for big-time heat years is whether there are 20 or more 95+ days.  There have only been 12 of those in DCA history (2016 being the latest, 2012 having the record of 29).  We are currently sitting at 10 with plenty more to come.  If you do year-to-date, 2024 only trails:

• 2012 (14)
  • 2010 (11)
  • 1991 (13)
  • 1911 (11)

Interestingly, in 2016 the heat was backloaded, with only 1 95+ day through 7/9, on the way to 23 total.

Good info!  Last year we had just 8, with 3 in a row July 27-29 and 5 in a row from Sept 3-7.  Would have been a nice number if not for that Sept heatwave.  This year's number is going to be ugly

• Like 1

From the LWX 953 AFD:

As for thunderstorm timing, expect convection to begin to bubble over areas just east of Alleghenies (ahead of the dry slot) early to mid-afternoon before advancing toward the I-81 corridor and Blue Ridge around 20-22z/4-6pm. Beyond this point convection continues east toward the metros between 22-2z/6-10pm. Convection gradually wanes before midnight with any severe threat wrapping up after sunset.

I wasn't going to set up my irrigation kit since I only planted tough stuff -- tropical milkweeds, lantana and annual vinca.  But even those have been suffering and hand watering by hose doesn't work as well so I broke down and installed it.  Guaranteed rain this evening for that parched, cracked garden

94/77 (108)  ouch

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If we don't get some storms out of today, man I don't know. I just want a good 30 min of rain.

Line is *trying* to get itself together west of the blue ridge. And then there’s the heavy rain threat later in the week. 

We just gotta capitalize on either one. Ideally both. If we don’t, we’re in serious trouble. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Line is *trying* to get itself together west of the blue ridge. And then there’s the heavy rain threat later in the week. 

We just gotta capitalize on either one. Ideally both. If we don’t, we’re in serious trouble. 

Marginal mid level lapse rates are killing us thus far.

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Marginal mid level lapse rates are killing us thus far.

We'll likely need storms to consolidate to either start firing stuff on outflow boundaries or perhaps if some semblance of a cold pool can start to assist. 

25 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

It stresses me out seeing everything in nature stressed out. Even the native plants in the forest floor are all wilted and stressed. The animals must be starting to get stressed as well. The deer are bed down in the deep forest. The forest even sounds quiet right now. Come on rain.

Same here. My parents witnessed chipmunks stealing hummingbird food this week (we're assuming) for the water content. First time they've seen that in 20+ years of having that feeder out. They're getting their bird bath out of storage to help out the local critters

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TSG said:

Same here. My parents witnessed chipmunks stealing hummingbird food this week (we're assuming) for the water content. First time they've seen that in 20+ years of having that feeder out. They're getting their bird bath out of storage to help out the local critters

We've got two water sources, bird bath and a ground bath going, and the foxes are hitting them hard. Definitely a dry summer.

13 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We've got two water sources, bird bath and a ground bath going, and the foxes are hitting them hard. Definitely a dry summer.

I've been running my sprinkler out on a quiet piece of land on my elderly neighbors property. It gives the critters water and fresh healthy vegetation to eat. 

Totally clear sky here all day. To my South and west I've been watching building clouds. Radar is looking a little better, I guess.

3 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

2010 11 and 12 and this year is about to go into those HOF HOT annals 

103 HI here at 11am and 105 at two others.  Someone will hit 115 and it’s worth  restating that is essentially in the shade and at rest.  Exerting in this direct sun likely produces a wet bulb type effect of 120-125 

MN Transplant good at anecdotes and in 1996 I was driving players to DC tennis tournament and there were 6 matches scheduled for 2om start.  It was 100-102 at start time with brilliant skies and full sun.  One match finished, all others one or both players retired.  They changed the start times forever after that .  These are about the fittest guys in the world.  I asked one I think Marcus Zooka and he said only once had he been this hot in Kawala  Lampur(sp) on the equator.

DC can get garish heat and this year is one of those 

95/79 at Leesburg with HI 113

Most  all else 105-110 

17 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Precip has been way above average for the last 22 years.. not 1 moderate drought. The odds of that happening are probably 1/10, if not 1/20

e.png

Why the constant drought  talk then?