• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July Discobs 2024

George BM

Getting really concerned about trying to get meaningful rainfall this week. It’s still on the table, but it’s far from a sure thing, and lowering model QPF reflects that.  It looks like 2 chances:  1) a line of convection on the front Wednesday evening which has potential for big localized totals, but will there be breaks in the line, and might it weaken if it arrives too late?  2) moisture moving from coastal areas back to the northwest Friday.  The best rains will be east and southeast of us, but can we still get a modest soaking?   Models now still have us within the “good” rain, but we’re getting dangerously close to the back edge, and any further shift east could really screw us.  I wouldn’t want to be too far west of DC, as things currently look, for round 2. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, high risk said:

Getting really concerned about trying to get meaningful rainfall this week. It’s still on the table, but it’s far from a sure thing, and lowering model QPF reflects that.  It looks like 2 chances:  1) a line of convection on the front Wednesday evening which has potential for big localized totals, but will there be breaks in the line, and might it weaken if it arrives too late?  2) moisture moving from coastal areas back to the northwest Friday.  The best rains will be east and southeast of us, but can we still get a modest soaking?   Models now still have us within the “good” rain, but we’re getting dangerously close to the back edge, and any further shift east could really screw us.  I wouldn’t want to be too far west of DC, as things currently look, for round 2. 

Yes, there is absolutely a failure scenario for us, with the highest risk from 95 and west.

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Yes, there is absolutely a failure scenario for us, with the highest risk from 95 and west.

For sure.  I think that western areas have the best chance of heavy Wednesday evening convection, and areas east have the best chance of the steadier Friday rain. That in-between zone along I-95 could get screwed on both (although we could “win” on either or both too).

• Like 3

DCA briefly dipped to 79F early this AM, so the 80s streak is over at 3 straight nights.  But it's oppressive out.  DCA is 88/76 at 10am while in Tenley we are at 89/79 for a HI of 104F.  It's 10 am folks!!

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Exactly.  2010 had the crazy number of 90s, 2011 had the stretch I listed including obscene humidity ("sweat ceiling"), and 2012 had the really big-ticket heat (104 and 105 at DCA).  Since then, it has really only been 2016 that went big.  

Yeah, the slow start to the summer 90s means that this year won't challenge those types of records.  I'm curious whether the Staunton data shows the same as DC, where '34 and '36 had hot daytime highs, but the lows were more "reasonable" on those days.  Likely some combination of dry conditions and the lack of UHI.

Yeah the incidence of 80+ lows in DC was basically 0 until about the 1980s, and it has risen significantly since then.  Via Ian on Bluesky:
image.thumb.png.a5a4e81806c6bd21850adccbad4aadd2.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, high risk said:

Does the Delmarva still have a good chance either way for some beneficial rains? From what I see it looks that way. Not to take away from anywhere else in the region, we all need it, but I'll, take what I can get.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Exactly.  2010 had the crazy number of 90s, 2011 had the stretch I listed including obscene humidity ("sweat ceiling"), and 2012 had the really big-ticket heat (104 and 105 at DCA).  Since then, it has really only been 2016 that went big.  

Yeah, the slow start to the summer 90s means that this year won't challenge those types of records.  I'm curious whether the Staunton data shows the same as DC, where '34 and '36 had hot daytime highs, but the lows were more "reasonable" on those days.  Likely some combination of dry conditions and the lack of UHI.

Interesting question!

The 15  90+ days in 1934 had an average low of 66.  The 13  90+ days in 1936 had an average low of 63.

The average low for June 20 is 60.

1 hour ago, high risk said:

Those were my expressed fears from last weekend.

My 3 model blend has collapsed from 1.50" to .37" during the past 24 hours.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

They should upgrade to excessive heat warning, looks like heat indices are 105-115 now inside the beltway. 

Agreed. Mine is 109 right now. 92.8 with a dewpoint of 78.4. Absurd and disgusting. 

Heat headlines can be finnicky I feel like. 

4 hours ago, high risk said:

For sure.  I think that western areas have the best chance of heavy Wednesday evening convection, and areas east have the best chance of the steadier Friday rain. That in-between zone along I-95 could get screwed on both (although we could “win” on either or both too).

12z euro is a nut punch 

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

And in case anyone was worried, the Euro has us back in the upper 90s by Sunday.

Oh good, this sunny breezy low 70s weather in Canada is wearing on me