• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 General Discussion

23 hours ago, Blizzard22 said:

We are over halfway through with the Dog Days which run from July 3 to August 11.

the dog days of summer are definitely not until august, as any normal person knows it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

the dog days of summer are definitely not until august, as any normal person knows it.

I associate the Dog Days with the hottest month of the year, which would be July.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

few more days of paradise mode before some action returns to the area

image.thumb.png.cd5bc2bd7ccc4c0ef28fc6b37c39f422.png

But for real though if you could throw in just a couple of guaranteed okay snow storms a year this really would be best climo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blizzard22 said:

I associate the Dog Days with the hottest month of the year, which would be July.

Interesting to me it's always August. It's still very warm and humid stale air. Not until the end of August do you start to notice the subtle changes that the season is about to change. 

44 this morning and a pleasant 73 this afternoon.   Ready for a week in the low to mid 80's to give the garden the final push it needs the next few weeks before the sun angle begins to fall behind the hill and trees during the late afternoon hours. Lost 2 minutes 18 seconds of sun today and around 20 minutes on the sunset since late June.

A few mid 30's reported this morning with 34 being the coolest over in Baraga County and 35 the coolest here in Marquette County.

• Like 2

Meant to post yesterday. July 24th was the 90th anniversary of the hottest temp on record for both Detroit and Chicago. Both places hit 105° on July 24, 1934.

Regarding dog days. I always considered the dog days the hottest two weeks of the year and the dead of winter the coldest two weeks. 

At -2.0°F for the month it looks like GRR is headed for a below normal July.  The end of the month will eat into that a little but I don't see the negative departures being completely erased.  Not bad when earlier this summer the general thought was a hot summer.

• Haha 1

High of 81 yesterday, the first prolonged heatwave of the summer begins today for the Twin Cities. We look to have a week+ stretch of 85-90 degree weather and ~70 dews. 

July is running -1.6 below average so far. That deficient will be eaten away these last several days of the month. 

As of 10 am, skies are cloudy with temps in the low 70's, and dews as well. Very muggy. Sun should pop out later, and temps rise into the mid-upper 80's. Dews should drop some, but it's going to be a stifling day. Same for tomorrow, but then stms enter the picture.

On 7/24/2024 at 8:13 PM, Chicago Storm said:

Was just thinking, Dog Days around my way can be from a Bull Mastiff to a Chihuahua. :lol: Bull showing up this week. 

Another warm, muggy day on tap, but today will start the stm/svr stm potential thru tomorrow. 1-3" forecast for my area. Currently only have 1.88" in the bucket for the month. 4.05" is the avg. Lack of substantial rains recently has been a good thing, tho, as we had too much in June, and early July in NE MN. Hydro system has mellowed, so any heavier rains should not be a big problem. 

I finished last night with 1.01".  It was heavier just south of me where the storms trained.  My July total is up to 7.97", which makes this my wettest July since I began keeping records in 2007.  This is just one of those months in which we are maxing out every event.  We aren't done, either.  There may be more MCS activity Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

1 hour ago, Spartman said:

Today looks to be the crappiest of the active week. With the cloud cover around and upcoming MCS, get ready to be stuck in the 70s for an early Fall-like look the entire day today.

Temps and points in the 70s at 9am isn't fall.....:weenie:

• Like 4

We had the perfect summer weekend here with a very rare instance of blue skies with almost no clouds at all Sat/Sun!! On Sat there wasn't any clouds for over 100km around me on Satellite - can't say that happens much around here. Sat evening was among the best of all of 2024 with low wind, quiet, just the right amount of green. More smoke the last few weeks and increasing.

About a week ago I finally got a t-storm but it was a dry one. I had 3mm during the early evening with some cracks but then at 10pm Tues there was a spicy cell that side-swiped me with good lightning and thunder. No precip at all from it.