• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 General Discussion

Attempts #8,9 both failed for any storms since Monday mid-day - I correctly knew it would just be steady rain in place of garden boomer early this morning. Nice evening last night and a repeat of yesterday for the first half of today. 5mm of rain. This very active storm pattern giving me not even a clap of thunder for weeks is an exceptional blowout.

The Weather Network site has finally finished off any creative touch they once had and forced the switch to their mobile layout on PC unifying it this afternoon :thumbsdown:. Lame how they pretended to have a new beta for desktop users just to save some more for their dying suncreen-promoting platform. Very plain, drab, terrible layout somehow the stinkiest of all time. 7 and 14 day forecast layouts are abysmal! Maybe I can ditch my bad habit of checking since the accuracy is so damn awful anyways. There are a few pros like having a better radar static image on the main condition page so I don't have to load the bloated interactive page for it. Its now come full circle back to what it was when the site first launched just plain info with minimal tinsel.

Surprisingly tagged the 9th 90 of the year today. Currently tied with the total of 90-degree days of last year.

As for rain from the MCS that was supposed to arrive, only got a trace. With the upcoming MCV tomorrow, forecast rainfall totals seem to be lowered a little bit.

06z NAM:
qpf_024h-imp.us_ov.png

On 7/16/2024 at 9:48 AM, rainsucks said:

not even close to that being the case this year. And even in the last decade, the big heat has had a tendency to center itself west of the Rockies.

coldplains.png

Yea.  I meant in the brief periods the heat gets east of the Rockies, it doesn't really reach the Great Lakes.  This year the upper Midwest has been persistently troughy and it looks to return to that pattern over the next week.  I like this somewhat active pattern better than having a trough over New England that puts the GL in a boring "cool drought", but it seems hot and active summers are a thing of the past.

Catching up...

ORD received 1.60" of rain on Saturday, which broke the record precip total for the date of 1.49" (1963).

On Saturday, ORD topped out at 91° and MDW 92°. On Monday, ORD topped out at 90° and MDW 91°.

...2024 90°+ Day Tally...
12 - MDW
10 - ORD
10 - RFD
10 - PWK
10 - ARR
10 - LOT
9 - DPA
6 - UGN

Toronto had 3.29" rain on Tuesday, following 1.18" on Monday. This was a top five for July daily rainfall in 184 years of records, and it followed another daily record set on 10th (1.76"). It resulted in urban flooding and some water rescues from partially submerged cars. It was not quite as heavy a one- or two- day rainfall as July 7-8 2013, or a one-day record set in 1897 (on 28th). 

July 2024 is already third wettest July behind only 1841 and 2013. It will only take a normal amount of rain in next two weeks to reach first place. It will take about half of what has already fallen to equal wetter months of Sep 1843 and may 1894. Will keep track of where July 2024 finishes up relative to record values. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, frostfern said:

Yea.  I meant in the brief periods the heat gets east of the Rockies, it doesn't really reach the Great Lakes.  This year the upper Midwest has been persistently troughy and it looks to return to that pattern over the next week.  I like this somewhat active pattern better than having a trough over New England that puts the GL in a boring "cool drought", but it seems hot and active summers are a thing of the past.

Yeah, agreed cool drought is the worst, but was stoked for a 1995-esque "hot and active" and we just haven't gotten there.

11 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Catching up...

ORD received 1.60" of rain on Saturday, which broke the record precip total for the date of 1.49" (1963).

On Saturday, ORD topped out at 91° and MDW 92°. On Monday, ORD topped out at 90° and MDW 91°.

...2024 90°+ Day Tally...
12 - MDW
10 - ORD
10 - RFD
10 - PWK
10 - ARR
10 - LOT
9 - DPA
6 - UGN

Midway's only two days ahead of O'Hare?

8 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-local-N-Illinois-tru

Interesting in that the ripples (gravity waves?) in Iowaare kind of west to east. The ripples in Indiana the ripples are sort of south to north. Where they meet the sky goes clear.

Low of 50 last night.  Slept with the windows open and woke up at dawn to the robins singing.  A few spots fell into the upper 30's-low 40's.  Looks like a stellar day with sunshine, limited smoke, low humidity and a high in the low-70's.  If not for the deer flies today would be a perfect 10.  They have started to wane a bit and shouldn't be an issue in a couple more weeks.  August is by far my favorite month of summer.

Been a very pleasant few days, but looks like a good chance at shwrs/stms today. Unfortunately lots of smoke has been around from western/northern fires. Nasty skies!

Hot weekend on tap. Could reach low 90's in town. Top 5 heat. 

Smoke July 22.jpg