• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 General Discussion

On 7/5/2024 at 2:16 PM, Brian D said:

I've been having issues the last couple days or so with NWS enhanced radar not loading, or partially loading. If I leave the page up in a tab, and wait for a few minutes, sometimes it'll completely load. 

Going through my point and click on NWS, all I get is a 504 Gateway Time Out, if I try the air quality forecast through there. If I try airnow.gov. I get DNS server is not responding. Guess I will have to wait for Monday to see if anyone returns from the holiday and can resolve it on that end.

Got woke up early this am with loud cracks of thunder. Bout of rain netted 0.86" in short order. More rounds of shwrs/stms later this aftrn forecasted as LP moves through. Summer really kicking in this week into next weekend with highs slated in the mid 70's-mid 80's. Could see some 90's crop up around here next weekend. That's getting into top 5 territory in NE MN. Avg high peaks in mid July around the mid 70's in town with upper 70's inland. 

In regards to the major solar event 2 months ago, thought I'd share this YT vid as a summary of what happened, and how it compares to other events. Anton does a good job explaining stuff in the astro world, and the latest stuff that comes out. Been subscribed for a long time. Worth the watch. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

In regards to the major solar event 2 months ago, thought I'd share this YT vid as a summary of what happened, and how it compares to other events. Anton does a good job explaining stuff in the astro world, and the latest stuff that comes out. Been subscribed for a long time. Worth the watch. :) 

That’s a good video! He does do a great job explaining these events. Been watching him last few years also.

• Like 1

Just seen a report of a waterspout that was seen over Lake Vermillion in N MN. Residents of the small towns (Tower/Soudan), on the S side of the lake, witnessed it. Storms my way stayed in the higher terrain. Was cool in town with a strong lake breeze being drawn in on the updrafts. 0.89" was the final tally from yesterday am's stms in town. Looks like scattered stuff the next couple days, but nothing too organized, thankfully. Need to dry out a bit. 

Quick hitting stm yesterday netted 0.36", along with a fairly close lightning strike. Barely a one count before the loud crack. Warm day on tap with 80's on a light W/SW wind. Looks like smoke moving through just to the S & W of me. Thicker in the Dakota's. Hope it stays that way. 

Smoke July 9.jpg

• Thanks 1

Temps in the low-mid 80's with dews in the mid 60's to around 70. A little warm today. About as much as I care for. Should be a little cooler tomorrow with a lake breeze in the 70's, then a stretch of 80's with a peak in the upper 80's this weekend. Glad that won't last long. 

Prelim data in for June. Another warm month in the books. Snow season officially ended as well. Have charts for that, and they're all shown with 5 & 10 yr trends respectively. 2023/24 season was 2nd warmest in the record.

Midwest June anom 5yr.gif

Midwest June anom 10yr.gif

Midwest snow ssn 5yr.gif

Midwest snow ssn 10yr.gif

Per the webcam at Cassville, the Mississippi River is finally going down a bit. It was certainly high on the 1st when I headed out to catch the Canadian Pacific Railway's restored steam locomotive on its return trip from a tri-national tour special that began in April.

• Like 6

0.37" in the tippy bucket from the late afternoon/early evening gulley-washer rain. One county east of me the radar estimates say they might have got over 3 inches of rain. That would ha been too much.