• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

58 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s been the wettest July to June period up here with 80.00”+ in spots.

Data for July 1, 2023 through July 6, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
CT PROSPECT 1.9 ENE CoCoRaHS 84.92
CT NORWICH 2.5 NNE CoCoRaHS 83.36
CT OAKDALE 2.6 WNW CoCoRaHS 82.91
CT MIDDLEFIELD 1.4 W CoCoRaHS 82.61
CT MIDDLEFIELD 0.6 SE CoCoRaHS 81.36
NY WEST POINT COOP 81.33
CT BROOKFIELD 3.3 SSE CoCoRaHS 81.25
CT NORTHFORD 0.8 SW CoCoRaHS 81.21
CT COLCHESTER 0.6 ENE CoCoRaHS 81.07
NY STONY POINT 0.7 NW CoCoRaHS 81.05
CT GRISWOLD 0.9 N CoCoRaHS 80.81
CT HIGGANUM 0.8 NE CoCoRaHS 80.58
CT HIGGANUM 0.7 N CoCoRaHS 80.39
CT WATERBURY 1.3 WNW CoCoRaHS 80.14

You were talking drought last week

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

How much did you end up with? The heavy stuff slid by just north of me, I got .09. I saw some spots a few miles east of you went over 3"! We did Drylok about 25 years ago, it worked great until last year. 

I’d say 25 years is a good run! We got pummeled last night and this morning. Well over 2 inches. Probably pushing closer to 4 with this morning’s storm. Some tremendous amounts of rain. I’m going to have to figure out the basement over the next few days as we are traveling next week. This has been a week for us. A leaking toilet, the basement, and the washing machine decided to end its life. Fixed the toilet and have new washer and dryer coming early this week. Only the basement is left to fix! 

41 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

You were talking drought last week

I was talking about the lower soil moisture south of I-78 in mid-June and how it would likely be a temporary situation before the heavier rains eventually arrived. This has been the pattern in recent years. Brief drier patterns of lower soil moisture before more impressive heavier rains than the brief drier patterns which preceded them. I also posted how the area has only seen D0 to D2 drought conditions since the last real drought here in 01-02 reaching a D3 requiring actual water restrictions in NYC. So in effect these have been nuisance dry patterns resulting in brown lawns. But here in CT we never really got into the brown lawn situation since it was cooler and wetter than in NJ. Whenever the dew points go 75° to 80° and PWATS reach 2.00”+ we always get very heavy to locally torrential downpours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Another drencher here with vivid thunder and lightning.

Same here. Picked up .50 in 15 minutes. The atmosphere was saturated with 75° dew points and 2.00” PWATS. It’s one of the few times I had fog and light drizzle transition to such a heavy downpour in July.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Same here. Picked up .50 in 15 minutes. The atmosphere was saturated with 75° dew points and 2.00” PWATS. It’s one of the few times I had fog and light drizzle transition to such a heavy downpour in July.

Models doing a poor job forecasting the convection each day. Yesterday was supposed to be dry and this morning 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Models doing a poor job forecasting the convection each day. Yesterday was supposed to be dry and this morning 

FWIW they have little to nothing rest of today....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The SPC HREF had the right idea but its heavy rain axis was a little too far NW. I did much better here. But the exact placement is always a toss up. 

• Like 1

You can see what an outlier that one completely dry weekend was back in mid-June. 

Newark 

Jul 6-7……….0.08…so far with much heavier totals in other spots

Jun 29-30….0.39

Jun 22-23…..0.04

Jun 15-16……0.0

Jun 8-9……….T

Jun 1-2……….T

May 25-25…..T

May 18-19…..0.04

May 11-12…0.38

May 4-5…..0.31

Apr 27-28…0.11

Apr 20-21…0.05

Apr 13-14…0.04

Apr 6-7…….T

Mar 30-31…0.01

Mar 23-24….3.10

Mar 16-17…..T

Mar 9-10….1.46

Mar 2-3…..1.31

77° dew point here now after .82 of rain. My sunglasses actually fogged up going outside now that the sun is out. The area has a shot at one of the highest July average dew points for the whole month. 

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=khvn

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=76&network=NJ_ASOS&station=SMQ&season=jul&varname=dwpf&agg=mean&year=1893&w=bar&hours=0-23&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=png

IMG_0353.thumb.png.e6299df1db0fafea94e5121eb7577ddc.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

Well the good news is I found where the water is coming into my basement. The bad news is water is coming into my basement. Huge storm here dropped a ton of water in just twenty minutes. How do we all feel about Dryloc on a basement cinder block wall? Good idea or must this be tackled outside via digging? It is a small seepage. 

Dryloc worked great for some small seepage areas in my last house.  I did first use dryloc cement on the block around and over where the water was coming in.  Then used the paint over that.  I did really press the cement into the block and gave it like 3 applications.  Let it dry well then use paint.  Worked well, never had seepage again.  Worth a try before you start digging outside.

• Thanks 1

Some torrential downpours at times last night and early this morning.  The one this morning had loud thunder and some bright lightning flashes.  Rain was torrential but was short lived.  Two day total so far = .75".  Just enough but not too much.  Perfect!  Level 10 on the swampy scale out there this morning.

7 minutes ago, Picard said:

Honest Question:
Does any reputable source track average dewpoints over time?  It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation toward higher dewpoints and recent changes to our climate.

Dew points have been steadily rising as a warmer atmosphere holds more moisture.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=76&network=NY_ASOS&station=JFK&season=summer&varname=dwpf&agg=mean&year=1893&w=bar&hours=0-23&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=png

IMG_0354.thumb.png.da5f64dd72ea876f5c90af33e57a1eec.png

IMG_0355.thumb.png.4ad8d1b65b6208fe5402c4736b67dd47.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

.27 this morning 

Nothing here. Missed me again. 

It has been feast or famine in the rainfall department for the Tri-State in recent weeks. Some areas have done much better in recent weeks while others have gotten very little. We'll see if we can get more widespread heavy rains late next week from Beryl's remnants. 

Tomorrow and Monday we're going to see a slight humidity drop. Dew points will be going down to the low-mid 60s. Probably going to be dry those days. Hopefully a decent soaking coming for late Tuesday.