Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Just now, Allsnow said:

@Parsley!

hope all is well my friend 

High and dry here in Pennsylvania. My sister’s place on Long Island a different story. They have been getting missed much of the summer so…making up for lost time. Hope things are well with you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parsley said:

High and dry here in Pennsylvania. My sister’s place on Long Island a different story. They have been getting missed much of the summer so…making up for lost time. Hope things are well with you. 

Hope all is well with you!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Hope all is well with you!

Thanks man. I’m good, as is my family here in PA. 

Unfortunately, my mom has been ill for awhile. Been making lots of quick trips back home recently, just not the enjoyable kinds I’m used to. That’s life man. We all get old. Hope you and your family are doing well. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Thanks man. I’m good, as is my family here in PA. 

Unfortunately, my mom has been ill for awhile. Been making lots of quick trips back home recently, just not the enjoyable kinds I’m used to. That’s life man. We all get old. Hope you and your family are doing well. 

Ah sorry to hear that about your mom. Keep in touch!

• Like 1

Generally near normal readings will prevail through the remainder of July. An offshore system will continue to bring periodic clouds and showers tomorrow into Wednesday. Steadier rain is possible on Wednesday. Eastern New England and Long Island will likely see the highest rainfall amounts. Heat will likely return during the first week in August.

The latest summer guidance continues to suggest a warmer to much warmer than normal summer lies ahead. The extended range guidance suggests that August will likely be warmer than normal.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.7°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.1°C for the week centered around July 24. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.48°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.27°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the early fall.

The SOI was -23.45 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.858 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal July (1991-2020 normal). July will likely finish with a mean temperature near 79.5° (2.0° above normal).

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 101 (1949)
NYC: 99 (1949)
LGA:  97 (1949)
JFK: 99 (2002)

Lows:

EWR: 59 (1937)
NYC: 59 (1914)
LGA: 62 (1984)
JFK: 61 (1965)

Historical:

1898 - The temperature at Prineville, OR, soared to 119 degrees to establish a state record, which was tied on the 10th of August at Pendleton. (The Weather Channel)

1905 - Heavy rain in southwestern Connecticut caused a dam break, and the resulting flood caused a quarter of a million dollars damage at Bridgeport. As much as eleven inches of rain fell prior to the flood. (David Ludlum)

1958: The U.S. Congress passes legislation establishing the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), a civilian agency responsible for coordinating America’s activities in space.

1960: Severe thunderstorms brought damaging winds, possibly as high as 100 mph to central Oklahoma. Eight planes and several hangars were damaged at Wiley Post Airfield, while two aircraft and additional hangars were damaged at Will Rogers World Airport. The winds caused seven injuries in the area, including two youths who were injured by flying debris.

1981 - Fifty cattle, each weighing 800 pounds, were killed by lightning near Vance, AL. The lightning struck a tree and then spread along the ground killing the cattle. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather from Minnesota to Indiana and Illinois. A thunderstorm at Janesville, WI, produced wind gusts to 104 mph which flipped over two airplanes, and blew another plane 300 feet down the runway. The northeastern U.S. experienced some relief from the heat. Nine cities reported record low temperatures for the date, including Saint Johnsbury, VT, with a reading of 42 degrees. Barnet, VT, reported a morning low of 33 degrees, with frost reported on vegetation. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Afternoon and evening thunderstorms produced severe weather in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Hail three inches in diameter was reported south of Saint Cloud, MN. Hot weather prevailed in the western U.S. Fresno, CA reported a record thirteen straight days of 100 degree heat. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Morning thunderstorms in the Upper Midwest produced more than five inches of rain west of Virgil, SD. Afternoon and evening thunderstorms deluged the foothills and adjacent plains of Colorado with heavy rain. Rains of six to seven and a half inches fell in eight hours north of Greeley. Hail and heavy rain caused several million dollars damage in Weld County. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

2004: A record-setting flash flood occurred over part of the Greenville, South Carolina, during the morning hours. Six to eight inches of rain fell just east of Berea, a northwestern suburb, which caused the Reedy River through downtown Greenville crested 9 feet above flood stage. This crest was the highest level since 1908. 

Interesting what happened yesterday with that afternoon coastal trough and the flash flooding on Long Island. For the last few days models had this feature more to the SW over NJ. But I mentioned how these features can often be fickle. This one followed the past pattern and wound up across Long Island instead of NJ. During the winter these IVTs or coastal local instability troughs often end up in areas other than forecast. The most extreme instance of one of these during the warm season was with Henri a few summers ago. The main system looped back into CT and the coastal trough wound up right through NYC with the flash floods. But the CAMS had the main axis further SW in NJ or Delaware. So these often become nowcast specials. At least the HFREF got the heavy rain potential correct both times. But the placement was way off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

77 / 71 cloudy and showers today.  Any breaks with sun , heat up quickly upper 80s - 90.  Wed continued humid, with more widespread storms as front moves north, where there are breaks for any length areas could get to 90.   Thu looks to be the driest, sunniest day with low - mid 90s.  By Fri a trough is pushing through north of the region and should keep it a bit Florida like with popup showers and storms, otherwise in/out of clouds hot and humid.  Drier by SUnday.   Into next week continued hot and humid with storm chances.  Beyond there Atlantic ridge building west - overall warm - hot and humid look.

vis_nj_anim.gif

looks like a sneaky heatwave coming for me which would be #4 for the season

Sunday was 90 and yesterday was an unexpected 92

Today may be the toughest day to hit 90 but with sun we should do it here, also see Wednesday, Thursday Friday all 90 and above and into the weekend so this could be at least a 7 day heatwave..lets do this

1 hour ago, winterwarlock said:

looks like a sneaky heatwave coming for me which would be #4 for the season

Sunday was 90 and yesterday was an unexpected 92

Today may be the toughest day to hit 90 but with sun we should do it here, also see Wednesday, Thursday Friday all 90 and above and into the weekend so this could be at least a 7 day heatwave..lets do this

your average high is like 88

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Interesting what happened yesterday with that afternoon coastal trough and the flash flooding on Long Island. For the last few days models had this feature more to the SW over NJ. But I mentioned how these features can often be fickle. This one followed the past pattern and wound up across Long Island instead of NJ. During the winter these IVTs or coastal local instability troughs often end up in areas other than forecast. The most extreme instance of one of these during the warm season was with Henri a few summers ago. The main system looped back into CT and the coastal trough wound up right through NYC with the flash floods. But the CAMS had the main axis further SW in NJ or Delaware. So these often become nowcast specials. At least the HFREF got the heavy rain potential correct both times. But the placement was way off.

Often seems that it ends up N and E of the initial forecasts as well...

Most likely nothing this afternoon, but it appears that some activity will be coming in around midnight tonight. HRRR looks decent. Very dry here, so I'm really hoping we get some rain. Overnight tonight looks like our best chance, and then just spotty storms tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Most likely nothing this afternoon, but it appears that some activity will be coming in around midnight tonight. HRRR looks decent. Very dry here, so I'm really hoping we get some rain. Overnight tonight looks like our best chance, and then just spotty storms tomorrow afternoon. 

Nam is wet overnight so I wouldn't expect much