• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

17 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Season doesn't really get going til August.   That said, the Nina is not going crazy so that could lead to a reduced # of storms.   

We shall see what happens. Seldom do these cold/snowy or busy hurricanes season forecast ever work out 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

We shall see what happens. Rarely do these cold/snowy or busy hurricanes season forecast ever work out 

Part of the issue is that everyone went hysterical on the big season so the expectations are high...Even a busy season does not alway equate to landfalls...

and the cold/snowy forecasts are a staple from certain forecasters-just have to see through the hype....Last winter even remotely cold snowy was 20-21...and even that was a great 3 week stretch and not the whole winter or anything close to it.

• Like 1

.01" rainfall last 24 hours.

Let's continue to play kick the can.  Very dry and disappointing "wet stretch" especially considering the high DP pattern that has been in place for the last 3-4 weeks.  Some places haven done well but those places are a small percentage of this sub forum.  It has been dry.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MANDA said:

.01" rainfall last 24 hours.

Let's continue to play kick the can.  Very dry and disappointing "wet stretch" especially considering the high DP pattern that has been in place for the last 3-4 weeks.  Some places haven done well but those places are a small percentage of this sub forum.  It has been dry.

Models are very active inside 5 days then is just disappears as we get closer. Hopefully, that doesn’t happen with Friday into the weekend 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Part of the issue is that everyone went hysterical on the big season so the expectations are high...Even a busy season does not alway equate to landfalls...

and the cold/snowy forecasts are a staple from certain forecasters-just have to see through the hype....Last winter even remotely cold snowy was 20-21...and even that was a great 3 week stretch and not the whole winter or anything close to it.

As global temperatures rise, I guess it's easy just to assume that this will spawn more tropical systems?  A novice could just forecast 2 storms above the average...

3 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

As global temperatures rise, I guess it's easy just to assume that this will spawn more tropical systems?  A novice could just forecast 2 storms above the average...

Kind of like monthly temp departures--every month is +2 around here.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Models are very active inside 5 days then is just disappears as we get closer. Hopefully, that doesn’t happen with Friday into the weekend 

Yeah I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high for Friday into the weekend after what has happened the last few weeks. As Manda said, the lack of rain this summer has been very frustrating considering all the high humidity we've had. 

Storms this afternoon look spotty. I hope we get lucky with something but it's only a slim chance. I'll probably be watering the vegetable garden again. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high for Friday into the weekend after what has happened the last few weeks. As Manda said, the lack of rain this summer has been very frustrating considering all the high humidity we've had. 

Storms this afternoon look spotty. I hope we get lucky with something but it's only a slim chance. I'll probably be watering the vegetable garden again. 

Yeah at least give me sunny and dry if it's not going to rain. All these clouds and humidity is useless

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Yes.  At least 2 above and this is against our highest set of 30 year normals.  Just seems near impossible to get a month 2 below normal at this point.

The only month in recent years we have been able to get something approaching regular cold departures has been November.

IMG_0668.png.0845423f47ebed0a8ec508bdbd708412.png

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The only month in recent years we have been able to get something approaching regular cold departures has been November.

IMG_0668.png.0845423f47ebed0a8ec508bdbd708412.png

I was just noticed that when I was looking at some climate stats for the Ohio Valley region the other day. November is by far the month that's changed the least over the past 3 or 4 decades, which is odd. It might just be a mean reversion type thing, however. If you look at older historical data, November had previously been one of the fastest warming months of the 20th century.

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah at least give me sunny and dry if it's not going to rain. All these clouds and humidity is useless

Agreed. We have had lots of cloudy days since the start of last week. 

this has to be ewr's least rainy humid month

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hrrr has some storms now across parts of nj and north and east of the city

Yep on the 14z run, but then the HRRR took away our storms on the 15z run lol. Who the heck knows. A few areas will get lucky this afternoon and evening, but too bad it's only isolated activity. 

53 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yep on the 14z run, but then the HRRR took away our storms on the 15z run lol. Who the heck knows. A few areas will get lucky this afternoon and evening, but too bad it's only isolated activity. 

I take it the HRRR uses the most recent sounding data?  It seems to change by the hour, sometimes quite drastically.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I was just noticed that when I was looking at some climate stats for the Ohio Valley region the other day. November is by far the month that's changed the least over the past 3 or 4 decades, which is odd. It might just be a mean reversion type thing, however. If you look at older historical data, November had previously been one of the fastest warming months of the 20th century.

It’s one of the few times of the year when MJO 5 is cold for us. With the record WPAC warm pool most other MJO 4-7 periods are warm. So November is the only real outlier month for us. 

IMG_0669.thumb.png.5a3000613d08d608168e6e965ef11a6c.png

IMG_0670.png.eeee115f96c8c490be1de93969047526.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s one of the few times of the year when MJO 5 is cold for us. With the record WPAC warm pool most other MJO 4-7 periods are warm. So November is the only real outlier month for us. 

IMG_0669.thumb.png.5a3000613d08d608168e6e965ef11a6c.png

IMG_0670.png.eeee115f96c8c490be1de93969047526.png

Interesting observation.

3 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Haha, what an awful model

it's still showing a cluster moving through. we just need storms to organize quickly where there's currently nothing 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7th wettest July for Cape May and 6th driest at SMQ. 

Time Series Summary for CAPE MAY 2 NW, NJ - Month of Jul
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
1 1959 10.52 0
2 1956 8.55 0
3 2000 8.38 0
4 2017 8.33 0
5 1945 7.99 0
6 1958 7.21 0
7 2024 6.85 4
8 1989 6.60 0
- 1926 6.60 0
9 1896 6.55 16
10 2001 6.17 0

Time Series Summary for SOMERSET AIRPORT, NJ - Month of Jul
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
1 2013 0.07 2
2 2003 0.10 25
3 1999 0.61 0
4 2022 0.86 0
5 2002 1.00 0
6 2024 1.64 1
7 2015 1.88 0
8 2001 2.19 0
9 2005 2.78 0
10 2011 2.90 0
  • Like 1

July finished with a preliminary mean temperature of 79.7° in New York City. That was 2.2° above normal.

Tomorrow will be variably cloudy. Some showers and thunderstorms are possible. Heat will likely return during the first week in August.

The latest summer guidance continues to suggest a warmer to much warmer than normal summer lies ahead. The extended range guidance continues to suggest that August will likely be warmer than normal. However, there is a possibility that the second week of the month could feature a cool shot.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.7°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.1°C for the week centered around July 24. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.48°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.27°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the early fall.

The SOI was -23.33 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.407 today.

This will be the last discussion until after mid-August.

• Like 2