• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

26 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Well, we are halfway through meteorological Summer.  Won't be long before we are playing kick the "Canadian cold" can.  Hope not but we'll see.

:lol:  "the big pattern is just 10 days away"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wow! Look at this photo I found on Wikimedia dated May 24, 2024. This is absolutely absurd. Who was the decisionmaker that identified this as an appropriate location to install the ASOS?  It doesn't comply with any siting standards. Most backyard thermometers are more reliably sited than this.

800px-2024-05-24_17_37_43_View_south_acr

For every NYC station there are 5 rooftop/tarmac stations that are just as useful

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, FPizz said:

For every NYC station there are 5 rooftop/tarmac stations that are just as useful

But all of those sites measure the actual temperatures in their respective locations. The NYC station used to be away from the trees in Central Park and was 3 to 5° warmer than now before the ASOS installation under the trees in 1995. So the actual Central Park high temperature yesterday in an open space like the Great Lawn was 98° or 99°. 

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK, NY
0216 AM EDT WED JUL 17 2024

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT LAGUARDIA NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 97 DEGREES WAS SET AT LAGUARDIA NY
YESTERDAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 97 DEGREES SET IN 1980.

RECORDS GO BACK TO THE YEAR 1939 AT THIS CLIMATE STATION.
Data for July 16, 1980 through July 16, 1980
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
NY NEW YORK LAUREL HILL COOP 101
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 99
NY DOBBS FERRY-ARDSLEY COOP 99
NJ PLAINFIELD COOP 98
NJ CRANFORD COOP 98
NY NY WESTERLEIGH STAT IS COOP 97
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 97

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/07/22/archives/vandals-in-central-park-forcing-weather-service-to-seek-new-site.html

July 22, 1977

When the devices at the castle are not functioning, the Weather Service substitutes readings from La Guardia Airport. But Mr. Gibson said those readings do not really reflect conditions in the city, because they may be several degrees cooler in summer or warmer in winter than those in Central Park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MANDA said:

Trof position might be such that we still run above normal and on the humid side.  Might also give us AN precip.  

Nice in the nations mid-section though!

It looks like the pattern will begin to weaken the drought over the Southeast. So maybe the next warm up after this relaxation of major heat will be slightly less intense. We’ll see if wetter conditions over the source region for this recent heatwave can make a difference. 

IMG_0529.thumb.png.f6cc683916ba95562b356f9048426f22.png

Latest HRRR hits us hard here around 8pm. Hoping to see a good storm tonight! 

I'm also looking forward to the nice break in the humidity. Dew points in 50s on Friday will feel great. That looks like one of the nicest days of the summer. Dew points will go up a little over the weekend, but I don't think they'll get back to the 70s until Tuesday. A nice break from the high humidity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It looks like the pattern will begin to weaken the drought over the Southeast. So maybe the next warm up after this relaxation of major heat will be slightly less intense. We’ll see if wetter conditions over the source region for this recent heatwave can make a difference. 

IMG_0529.thumb.png.f6cc683916ba95562b356f9048426f22.png

GFS more prominent in building the Atlantic ridge in 7/24 - 26 with 500 MB height >594DM.  That should setup some stronger humidity  / heat potential.  Looks overall warm-hot and humid with more frequent rain chances.  Some of that heat building in the southwest may come east in spurts beyond the end of next week / 29th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FPizz said:

Manhattan microsites back up Central Park temp since winds were out of S mostly yesterday. Need that due W wind for the heat. 

Forgive me if this was shared previously; relevant to the CPK discussion and the summer in general. Very localized heat island map. 

I was gratified to find I live by that “cooler” tongue on the UWS; I suspect the streets (esp the wide ones 106 and 110) providing more of a channel for upsloping winds.

https://www.thecity.nyc/2023/07/26/heat-island-hot-map-temperature/

IMG_2220.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hooralph said:

Forgive me if this was shared previously; relevant to the CPK discussion and the summer in general. Very localized heat island map. 

I was gratified to find I live by that “cooler” tongue on the UWS; I suspect the streets (esp the wide ones 106 and 110) providing more of a channel for upsloping winds.

https://www.thecity.nyc/2023/07/26/heat-island-hot-map-temperature/

IMG_2220.jpeg

I assume that these departures are specific to the summer given how the sun roasts everything? It would be interesting to see the winter version.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

Manhattan microsites back up Central Park temp since winds were out of S mostly yesterday. Need that due W wind for the heat. 

Why though?  I mean I get that wind direction matters as it does everywhere, but why doesn't the tree canopy that everyone bitches about every single day here care about west winds?  Does it blow the canopy open all of sudden?  The canopy should effect the site no matter what, but on west wind days NYC is sometimes the highest temp.  Maybe the tree canopy is overstated and it is really more about the winds.  I have noticed that some of the personal sites near NYC often match the temp, and I'm sure those aren't under trees, but that fact often gets ignored.

38 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

31 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Why though?  I mean I get that wind direction matters as it does everywhere, but why doesn't the tree canopy that everyone bitches about every single day here care about west winds?  Does it blow the canopy open all of sudden?  The canopy should effect the site no matter what, but on west wind days NYC is sometimes the highest temp.  Maybe the tree canopy is overstated and it is really more about the winds.  I have noticed that some of the personal sites near NYC often match the temp, and I'm sure those aren't under trees, but that fact often gets ignored.

The downtown areas of Manhattan are cooler on a south wind off the Harbor. Midtown and Central Park are the warmest parts of the city since they are away from the water. The old NWS office near the Battery would always run cooler than Central Park. The Manhattan moseonet sites with in a few miles of the park were 98° yesterday. This is why Central Park was always warmer than LGA before the ASOS set up in 1995. The NJ mesonet does a great job measuring temperatures in park-like settings like New Brunswick. The sensor isn’t under the trees and the sensor with the radiation shield is out in the sun. Shift that sensor into the nearby wooded area under the trees like the newer location in Central Park and the temperature would be 3 to sometimes 5 degrees cooler. This is why temperatures were never officially measured underneath trees. In a wet pattern enhanced transpiration can have an even greater cooling effect. The issue in Central Park isn’t that it’s a park, it’s that the old site was out in the open and not underneath the trees. So on major 95°+ days before the 90s it was 3° to 5° warmer than it is now. It’s strictly a change in how they measure the temperature and not whether it’s a park or airport. Trying to compare the warm season high and data to before the change in 1995 is like comparing apples to oranges. Also the rain gauge is under the trees and errors in rainfall and rates occur. This is why they NWS tells their observers not to measure rainfall or temperature under trees at their official COOP sites. Plus the reason the highest Central Park wind gust in 1974 hasn’t been exceeded is the trees are growing around it reducing the wind measurement accuracy. So the Central Park temperature yesterday was at least 4° too low.

28th St. / Chelsea 98

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

The site closest to NYC was 95 not 98 as claimed.

Manhattan Mesonet 95

Can’t use that site to compare since it’s at an elevation of 311 ft.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SACRUS said:

GFS more prominent in building the Atlantic ridge in 7/24 - 26 with 500 MB height >594DM.  That should setup some stronger humidity  / heat potential.  Looks overall warm-hot and humid with more frequent rain chances.  Some of that heat building in the southwest may come east in spurts beyond the end of next week / 29th.

Pretty impressive heat closer to the drought areas before the heavy rains arrive.

4 hours ago, MANDA said:

Well, we are halfway through meteorological Summer.  Won't be long before we are playing kick the "Canadian cold" can.  Hope not but we'll see.

“Some long-range models are seeing a favorable MJO flip guys.  Delayed but not denied!”  :lol::unsure:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gravity Wave said:

I assume that these departures are specific to the summer given how the sun roasts everything? It would be interesting to see the winter version.

I think that’s the full year. I think it comes from a national study. You can click on the article and then go to the research.