• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Today was another hot day in the Mid-Atlantic region. High temperatures included:

Baltimore: 100°
New York City: 92°
Newark: 93°
Philadelphia: 97°
Raleigh: 102° (tied record set in 1999 and tied in 2022)
Richmond: 99°
Washington, DC: 98°

The very warm and humid weather will prevail inro at least early next week with temperatures generally running several degrees above normal.

In parts of California, Nevada, and Arizona, a severe long-duration and dangerous heatwave continues. As of 3 pm PDT, Redding, CA had reached 118°, which tied its all-time record.

Severe heat appears unlikely in the East during at least the first half of July.

The latest summer guidance continues to suggest a warmer to much warmer than normal summer lies ahead.  

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.6°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.4°C for the week centered around June 26. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.80°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.18°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the late summer or early fall.

The SOI was +1.78 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.704 today.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

What a rotten setup considering that we're headed to Provincetown and staying in a beachfront room for the week. Can't say I'm surprised :huh:

Looks like a great summer week and dry, perfect week for the beach with Miami vibes

• Weenie 1

Just now, Will - Rutgers said:

what is the science on exercising in this heat.  i imagine there’s some benefits and adaptations but can’t you hurt yourself too

The human body, when healthy, is a lot more resilient than people realize. With that said I drank a lot of water and wasn’t running fast. I had water fountains to fill at down at the park I run at. Intensity was low too. I averaged about 11 mins a mile so relatively slow going. I also picked my route so most of it was in shade.

• Like 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 103 (2010)
NYC: 103 (2010)
LGA: 103 (2010)
JFK: 101 (2010)

Lows: 

EWR: 54 (1979)
NYC: 54 (1979)
LGA: 56 (1979)
JFK: 55 (1979)

Historical:

1893 - A violent tornado killed 71 persons on its forty-mile track across northwestern Iowa. Forty-nine persons were killed around Pomeroy, where eighty percent of the buildings were destroyed, with most leveled to the ground. Photos showed most of the town without a wall or tree left standing. (The Weather Channel)

1928: A seven-inch hailstone weighing 1.5 pounds fell in Potter Nebraska. With a circumference of 17 inches, this appeared to be the largest hailstone in the world at that time.

1928 - A hailstorm at Potter, NE, produced a stone which was 5.5 inches in diameter, and seventeen inches in circumference, weighing a pound and a half. (David Ludlum)

1985 - Lightning struck a large transformer in Salt Lake County sending a 200 foot fireball into the air and blacking out almost the entire state for up to five hours. (The Weather Channel)

1986 - Thunderstorm rains during the mid morning hours, and again during the evening, produced major flash-flooding at Leavenworth, KS. The official rainfall total was 10.37 inches, but unofficial totals exceeded twelve inches. At nearby Kansas City, the rainfall total of 5.08 inches was a daily record for July. (Storm Data)

1987 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather in twenty-one states east of the Rockies, with severe weather reported in Kentucky and Indiana for the second day in a row. A thunderstorm produced more than five inches of rain in one hour near Reynolds, IL. Rochester, NY, was soaked with 3.25 inches, a record 24 hour total for the month of July. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Thirty-six cities in the north central and northeastern U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. Afternoon highs of 98 degrees at International Falls, MN, and 101 degrees at Flint, MI, equalled all-time records. Highs of 96 degrees at Muskegon, MI, and 97 degrees at Buffalo, NY, were records for July. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Unseasonably hot weather prevailed in the southwestern U.S. Ten cities reported record high temperatures for the date, including Las Vegas, NV, with a reading of 115 degrees. Hanksville, UT, reached 112 degrees, Bullhead City, AZ, hit 120 degrees, and Death Valley, CA, soared to 126 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

4 hours ago, winterwarlock said:

love it and it will keep going all week IMO if Beryl misses up...chance this heatwave extends to 7 days

There's nothing healthy about 80F dews. That's lethal to many 

And it's not going to be dry lol