• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Under variably cloudy skies, the temperature rose to 90° in New York City and 91° in Newark. Farther south, near record and record heat occurred. High temperatures included:

Baltimore: 98°
Charlotte: 101° (old record: 100°, 1954 and 2012)
Norfolk: 97°
Philadelphia: 95°
Raleigh: 106° (old record: 102°, 1999) ***New all-time record***
Richmond: 99°
Sterling, VA: 98°
Washington, DC: 98°

Following showers and thundershowers tonight, tomorrow will be another very warm and humid day. Showers and thunderstorms are likely tomorrow into Sunday. Some of the thunderstorms could bring strong winds and heavy downpours. The warm and humid weather will prevail inro at least early next week with temperatures generally running several degrees above normal.

In parts of California, Nevada, and Arizona, a severe long-duration and dangerous heatwave continues. The heat is now spreading into the Pacific Northwest. Palm Springs saw the mercury reach an all-time record-breaking 124°. Blythe reached a July record-tying 123°. Needles hit a daily record 122°.

Severe heat appears unlikely in the East during at least the first half of July.

The latest summer guidance continues to suggest a warmer to much warmer than normal summer lies ahead.  

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.6°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.4°C for the week centered around June 26. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.80°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.18°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the late summer or early fall.

The SOI was +2.46 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.621 today.

• Like 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 103 (1999)
NYC: 101 (1999)
LGA: 100 (1999)
JFK:  102 (1999)

Lows:

EWR: 54 (1979)
NYC: 53 (1979)
LGA:  56 (1979)
JFK: 56 (1979)

Historical:

1891 - Sixteen horses were killed by hail, and many more have to be put to death due to injuries from a hailstorm at Rapid City, SD. (The Weather Channel)

1900 - A spectacular three day fire began when a bolt of lightning struck a refinery in Bayonne NJ. (David Ludlum)

1916 - A hurricane produced 82 mph winds, an 11.6 foot tide, and a barometric pressure of 28.92 inches at Mobile, AL. (David Ludlum)

1937 - The temperature at Medicine Lake, MT, soared to 117 degrees to establish a state record. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

1937 - Midale and Yellow Grass in Saskatchewan hit 113 degrees to establish an all-time record high for Canada that same day. (The Weather Channel)

1970 - The morning low at Death Valley CA was 103 degrees, and the high that afternoon was 120 degrees. (The Weather Channel)

1980: The “More Trees Down” started in western Iowa and tracked eastward affecting several states along its past before dissipating in eastern Virginia.

1987 - Severe thunderstorms raked south central Kansas for the second morning in a row. Thunderstorm winds again gusted to 80 mph at Clearwater, and in the Wichita area reached 100 mph. Twenty-five persons were injured at a trailer park at El Dorado Lake. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Afternoon and evening thunderstorms spawned eleven tornadoes in Montana and three in North Dakota. Baseball size hail was reported at Shonkin, MT, and wind gusts to 85 mph were reported south of Fordville, ND. Twenty cities in the north central U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date, including Fargo ND with a reading of 106 degrees. Muskegon, MI, equalled their July record with a high of 95 degrees. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Moisture from what once was Tropical Storm Allison triggered thunderstorms over the Middle Atlantic Coast Region, which deluged Wilmington, DE, with a record 6.83 inches of rain in 24 hours, including 6.37 inches in just six hours. Up to ten inches of rain was reported at Claymont, northeast of Wilmington. July 1989 was thus the wettest month in seventy years for Wilmington, with a total of 12.63 inches of rain. Alamosa CO reported an all-time record high of 94 degrees, and Pierre, SD, hit 113 degrees. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

• Like 1

Well the good news is I found where the water is coming into my basement. The bad news is water is coming into my basement. Huge storm here dropped a ton of water in just twenty minutes. How do we all feel about Dryloc on a basement cinder block wall? Good idea or must this be tackled outside via digging? It is a small seepage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

Well the good news is I found where the water is coming into my basement. The bad news is water is coming into my basement. Huge storm here dropped a ton of water in just twenty minutes. How do we all feel about Dryloc on a basement cinder block wall? Good idea or must this be tackled outside via digging? It is a small seepage. 

Home Depot sells something called red guard, a good wall sealant. The only problem it goes on red. I would put a coat of that on and then a coat, maybe 2, of drylok (which is white) over it. If that doesn't  stop it than you might have to go outside via digging.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

How much did you end up with? The heavy stuff slid by just north of me, I got .09. I saw some spots a few miles east of you went over 3"! We did Drylok about 25 years ago, it worked great until last year. 

It shouldn't have expired, it should've extended east. I just got pummeled with the heaviest rain yet this year for over a half hour and it looks like there's more coming. Neighborhood rain gauges are all over the place from as low as .5 up to 1.5. My driveway looks like a river and the street is an inch deep. Woof

6 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

CT has been storm captial of the world lately. crazy.

It’s been the wettest July to June period up here with 80.00”+ in spots.

Data for July 1, 2023 through July 6, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
CT PROSPECT 1.9 ENE CoCoRaHS 84.92
CT NORWICH 2.5 NNE CoCoRaHS 83.36
CT OAKDALE 2.6 WNW CoCoRaHS 82.91
CT MIDDLEFIELD 1.4 W CoCoRaHS 82.61
CT MIDDLEFIELD 0.6 SE CoCoRaHS 81.36
NY WEST POINT COOP 81.33
CT BROOKFIELD 3.3 SSE CoCoRaHS 81.25
CT NORTHFORD 0.8 SW CoCoRaHS 81.21
CT COLCHESTER 0.6 ENE CoCoRaHS 81.07
NY STONY POINT 0.7 NW CoCoRaHS 81.05
CT GRISWOLD 0.9 N CoCoRaHS 80.81
CT HIGGANUM 0.8 NE CoCoRaHS 80.58
CT HIGGANUM 0.7 N CoCoRaHS 80.39
CT WATERBURY 1.3 WNW CoCoRaHS 80.14
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

79 / 75.  Hot and humid.  Heatwave for serveral today, others tomorrow.   Enough sun will push mid - upper 90s on a more  N flow today.    The Florida style pattern and high humidity will raise DT into the mid - upper 70s (has raised) the next 3-5 days.     Trough west / Atlantic Ridge on roids balloons west 600 DM pushing >590 DM along the EC.  Remnants of Beryl keep the already prone to drenchers more drenching mid week.  Rain/ clouds and Beryl will spoil heatwave extending beyond Tue,. Overall warm - hot and stormy pattern the through the 12th.   Peice of western heat on the move mid month, poised for a continued hotter second half.

7/5 - 7/12 : Humid/ Hot storms (drenchers possible Tue night - Wed)
7/13 - beyond : continues overall warm - hot - potential stronger heat.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

• Thanks 1