Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

From WPC:

The CAMs are in good agreement that convection will expand, although the exact placement of what will be primarily scattered cells or multi-cells through 20-25 kts of bulk shear is uncertain. This is reflected by modest 1"/6hrs EAS probabilities, but high(>80%) and moderate(>30%) neighborhood probabilities for 1" and 3", respectively, in 6 hours. There is high confidence that convection will expand as thermodynamic advection continues from the south pushing PWs to broadly over 2" and SBCAPE to nearly 2000 J/kg in much of New England and Upstate NY. These cells will generally lift northward progressively on 0-6km mean winds of 15-20 kts, but the widespread coverage should result in multiple rounds in many areas. Additionally, nearly unidirectional flow noted in morning soundings suggests brief training is possible along narrow N-S corridors. Rain rates will likely reach 1-2"/hr in most of these cells, and the HRRR 15-min accumulation product suggests locally 0.75"+ of rain is possible this evening which indicates brief intense rates to 3"/hr are possible. These axes of enhanced training are where the heaviest rainfall is expected, and this is most likely from far eastern Upstate NY into much of VT where 2-3" of rain is possible.

FFG across the region has been compromised from recent heavy rainfall, and there are some local minimums of less than 1.5"/3hrs in the Green Mountains and Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. This area is generally sensitive anyway due the terrain features supporting rapid runoff when rates become intense, but the antecedent rain has made the area even more vulnerable. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, grambo said:

Had a suspected microburst roll through Colchester, VT yesterday. I was up in Grand Isle taking care of the parent’s yard and could see a major storm building to the south- and then saw that the cameras back at the condo had both gone out- so figured we lost power. About 30 minutes later texts started coming in from neighbors and my partner that there were trees down everywhere and traffic was snarled up in Colchester Village.

We got some pretty significant localized damage in about a quarter mile radius near the intersection of Route 2 and 2A. Plenty of activity in this area of town last night with all of the major tree companies in the area in full swing. Spent a few hours yesterday evening helping some neighbors clean up and dispose of tree debris that fell their backyard. Tree workers are here this morning for our association.

A photo of our neighbors’ across from us and a few screengrabs from video I took on a brief ride around before coming home. 

IMG_3507.jpeg

IMG_1074.png

IMG_1073.png

That row of White Pines will give you endless damage adventures.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

Why an insurance company would insure property next to pine trees is beyond me.

Yeah, those White pines are always causing damage. My folks have a row of 60' Norway Spruce 30 feet from the back of their house that have held up very well.  They are not brittle like the pines, and have a root ball diameter half their height. 

And then the old Blue Spruce is prone to blow-over at the root ball, especially younger than 30 years.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Kidding aside. I can’t imagine another Irene in those spots right now. Vermont has become the Waialeale of New England.

A tropical storm would be “Shut ‘em down” for the state.  Thanks for playing, time to load up the wagons and head elsewhere.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

Why an insurance company would insure property next to pine trees is beyond me.

In my experience they seem to cause a lot less damage than maples and oaks in severe events.  White pines seem to snap halfway up when the big deciduous trees come down completely.

I mean, I guess you could argue why would an insurance company insure anybody with any trees near their house or that live by the ocean or that live by a stream etc..?

So gross out. Loving our new heat pumps. In our new climate living without AC in NNE away from the coast is insanity stuff. Incredible summer for lake things though. We’re blessed with them here. From last night:

daecdf6ccc56d5c57f759930ea73bdf2.jpg

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

So gross out. Loving our new heat pumps. In our new climate living without AC in NNE away from the coast is insanity stuff. Incredible summer for lake things though. We’re blessed with them here. From last night:

daecdf6ccc56d5c57f759930ea73bdf2.jpg

Even here, 3 miles from the coast, it's a necessity.  Pumps getting installed here in a few weeks.

And, yeah, perfect summer for freshwater recreation.  I spent the last week up in your neck of the woods camping and exploring several of those small spring-fed ponds in Denmark/Bridgton/Sebago.  Some actual hidden gems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

In my experience they seem to cause a lot less damage than maples and oaks in severe events.  White pines seem to snap halfway up when the big deciduous trees come down completely.

I mean, I guess you could argue why would an insurance company insure anybody with any trees near their house or that live by the ocean or that live by a stream etc..?

Maples can suck too. Usually there's a reason for deciduous trees to come down. In other words they give you warning. You can get it taken down before it does any damage. Perfectly healthy pine trees will snap just because they feel like it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Maples can suck too. Usually there's a reason for deciduous trees to come down. In other words they give you warning. You can get it taken down before it does any damage. Perfectly healthy pine trees will snap just because they feel like it.

image.thumb.png.3a3e2c773f7f8f738431ae3f685896a6.png
What are the odds?  Neighbor's maple just came down.  But...as you say, the rot was apparent for quite some time.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kdxken said:

The issue with white pine is that it's often much taller than the surrounding trees and its wood is fairly weak.  In summer, aspen is vulnerable, as its wood is no stronger than pine and often has decay, plus all the sail is at the top of the mast.  In winter, fir is the target due to shallow roots and they commonly have interior rot at the base when mature.  Spruce roots aren't much better, but the wood tends to be a bit stronger and usually more sound.

Left the Farmington hospital in a 2:30 PM downpour after my 3rd and final gel injection to my left knee and got fairly wet on a slo-mo 50 yard "dash" to the pickup.  Traffic was going about 30 for the next 4 miles before the rain began to let up and 2 miles later the road was dry.  The rain caught up (in lesser abundance) about a half mile from the house.  Maybe a tenth here, but the 10 minutes of Farmington rain probably dropped 1/3" just while I drove thru.  Sizable flash flood warning to our SW.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

Here it was coming in.  Can you see that angry bear?

image.thumb.png.8b577e2d5580ec2f3c9991e4b999d8d4.png 
This was from 25 minutes ago.  Can you see the vicious bear?
.51 just from this line of cells.  Violent lightning and thunder.  

Looks more like a big dog with its tongue out sideways.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1