Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nah. You don’t get 10” of snow at 34F.

Agreed, though NYC recorded 5" in April 1907 with the day's temp 41/35.  (Not sure what was going on with that.)  Snow at 33 is more likely - most of the "Mayor Lindsey" storm in Feb 1969 fell with the temp at 33.

27 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Agreed, though NYC recorded 5" in April 1907 with the day's temp 41/35.  (Not sure what was going on with that.)  Snow at 33 is more likely - most of the "Mayor Lindsey" storm in Feb 1969 fell with the temp at 33.

Even at 33 I struggle. I think many times it’s probably close to 32 when stations get 10” at 33. I suppose if it’s really cold aloft maybe it can stick decently at 33.

What are your symptoms? Second time I got it, symptoms were milder than the first time.
Started with throat clearing but not sore. Lower back pain which I had last time. Fever, some leg aches. 2yrs ago wiped me out for a week. This one does seem milder

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Covid strikes again. Got it 2yrs ago in August, now again. Sucks getting sick in summer. 83/67

I guess, but I think I’d rather get it during warm season than the heart of winter. At least you can open windows and get in the sun and warmth. I had omicron in Jan of 22 and it was just awful with the cold, dry air. 

• Like 2

I guess, but I think I’d rather get it during warm season than the heart of winter. At least you can open windows and get in the sun and warmth. I had omicron in Jan of 22 and it was just awful with the cold, dry air. 
Lol, I'm getting goose bumps just standing outside BBQ ing

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Tues/Wed more potential around here.  Maybe you'll see some big 'uns tomorrow though

I won’t be in SNE after tomorrow until late the  following week . So I’ll miss any fropa storms and the slight mild down before dews and heat return next weekend and beyond . Hopefully tomorrow works out north to south and east to west.

12 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Did they move the site? Seems strange that they had nine days above 90 in 2022 and the only one this year (likely pick some more up this week). Either that or this year hasn't been epic as some have claimed.

19 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Did they move the site? Seems strange that they had nine days above 90 in 2022 and the only one this year (likely pick some more up this week). Either that or this year hasn't been epic as some have claimed.

BOS is all about wind direction and the water.  It’s not a representative site to use to describe anything but that specific spot IMO.  Any wind off the Atlantic will give you a maritime type air mass while everyone else is continental.

Maybe they had more westerly flow in 2022?

Look what just happened…

Easterly component (SE wind) and temps in mid-70s.  However the second the wind got a westerly direction involved, the temp has shot back up to 84F at 8:30pm.

IMG_0250.jpeg.7bb6a933dc6f7e63197f857e4c86775c.jpeg

All it took for BOS to hit the high for the day was a fart out of the west at 8:30pm.

The heat is present and nearby.  It’s just getting staved off by the ocean.

Some years the ocean does a better job than others.  So using BOS as a barometer is a bit tricky when two years with the same general air mass could produce two wildly different number of 90F highs because the wind was a bit different.

5 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah BOS represents the immediate coast well, though even a half-mile/mile into the city the temps bump up markedly

Looking at the obs, relatively it’s still a warm air mass to be 82-83F all afternoon with 5-10kts out of the east directly off the Atlantic.

That’s probably a 90F if the wind was west all day instead of east.