• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

I will say the relative lack of rain has been great for keeping the mosquitos down.  My neighborhood has been mostly mosquito and deer fly free the past 2 weeks.  Could be the healthy bat population helping with that.  I also have not seen a tick in weeks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If only summehs weren't so muggy and wet, sure. there’s been a lot of indoor time lately which isn’t any better than a rainy winter. 

This summer hasnt been wet or rainy at all. Couple days of a storm or morning showers . Other than that it’s been very sunny and dewy 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This summer hasnt been wet or rainy at all. Couple days of a storm or morning showers . Other than that it’s been very sunny and dewy 

Not here it's been hot but also had some big rain days 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Not here it's been hot but also had some big rain days 

You’ve had a couple more big storms sure but there’s been a ton of sunny HHH days there too. Last summer was wet with daily storms and lots of clouds. This year thus far has not been a wet summer 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’ve had a couple more big storms sure but there’s been a ton of sunny HHH days there too. Last summer was wet with daily storms and lots of clouds. This year thus far has not been a wet summer 

Days and days.. it sucks but it is what it is.. I'm over the heat and dews.. ready for Fall but got a long ways to go

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Seems pretty well documented on here that DAW runs a tick or so warm.  No biggie but something to keep in mind when using it.

Is there any site that folks think is accurate? Seems to me I hear complaints about all .

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Seems pretty well documented on here that DAW runs a tick or so warm.  No biggie but something to keep in mind when using it.

I’m good. 

MHT ensuring this streak gets the recognition it deserves. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Is there any site that folks think is accurate? Seems to me I hear complaints about all .

Really?  There are like 30+ ASOS in the region and we only hear about like 3 of them.  

No one talks about all the ones that are fine.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really?  There are like 30+ ASOS in the region and we only hear about like 3 of them.  

No one talks about all the ones that are fine.

I hear complaints about Dover, BDL, Worcester, Providence, Norwood, Boston.

• Thanks 1

We’ve been following the temps at these sites for decades. It’s pretty easy to pick one out when they fall out of line with their normal tendencies. DAW was rarely a daily hot spot in the region going back to when the ASOS was commissioned. Now they’re doing it almost day.

I still feel like it’s usually siting changes and not sensor error that most of these sites are experiencing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I hear complaints about Dover, BDL, Worcester, Providence, Norwood, Boston.

Just because someone questions something to me doesn’t mean it’s a complaint.

DAW and BDL are the main ones… BDL siting issues.  But still, out of like 40 stations in New England that’s maybe 6 that at one point someone might have mentioned?

BOS doesn’t seem questioned, it’s just the siting on the water.

I don’t know, I read the forum just like you and I don’t get that opinion that every site is wrong.  Most of it seems justified when Dendrite and Coastal discuss.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We’ve been following the temps at these sites for decades. It’s pretty easy to pick one out when they fall out of line with their normal tendencies. DAW was rarely a daily hot spot in the region going back to when the ASOS was commissioned. Now they’re doing it almost day.

I still feel like it’s usually siting changes and not sensor error that most of these sites are experiencing. 

Yeah, it’s easy to spot if a station changes its long term “pecking order”… that’s what causes the questions.

But there’s still the vast majority of stations that never get mentioned or questioned.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, it’s easy to spot if a station changes its long term “pecking order”… that’s what causes the questions.

But there’s still the vast majority of stations that never get mentioned or questioned.

The vast majority of stations are not mentioned nearly as frequently as the large six or 10.

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just because someone questions something to me doesn’t mean it’s a complaint.

DAW and BDL are the main ones… BDL siting issues.  But still, out of like 40 stations in New England that’s maybe 6 that at one point someone might have mentioned?

BOS doesn’t seem questioned, it’s just the siting on the water.

I don’t know, I read the forum just like you and I don’t get that opinion that every site is wrong.  Most of it seems justified when Dendrite and Coastal discuss.

Not much difference between a siting issue or an equipment issue. In the end people are going to say it's wrong.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Not much difference between a siting issue or an equipment issue. In the end people are going to say it's wrong.

In some cases, it matters. For instance, when Logan was off the rails, they were reporting like 2 in./h. Snow at 34F. Or freezing rain was occurring at 34F. It was clearly off. And what really got me triggered was when they reported 1/4SM visibility in a fog but the temperature of like 40/37. That’s pretty much impossible.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kdxken said:

The vast majority of stations are not mentioned nearly as frequently as the large six or 10.

Maybe that’s why they are scrutinized?

All I know is most of the time when Dendy or Scoots  or Will calls them out over the years they are usually right.