Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

35 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My guess was on the wrong side of the lake.  Lily Bay State Park is wonderful, but if that cabin is on/near the shore, you don't need the park.

1.93" from this event, with more than one inch 4-4:45 yesterday afternoon from a separate (but related) band south of the major dumping.

0.01". Looks pretty dry next 7 days.

I noticed that too, Scott.   The other day I was panning around the buoys and thought, 'why is the water so chilly' out there.

But even the shelf waters "seem" a little delayed to pass 70 F compared to recent years.  I'm not sure what they are, relative to date, based upon longer termed climo.... probably they're still warmer than the mean date - just not as impressive as recency.  I dunno -

For 'Caning purposes, was hopping to see the 78 at least to station 44025/E of Jersey

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Probably won’t help when you have 4-6” of rain in 2 hours. That’s the real issue. Record dews and PWATs on 4K mountains isn’t a good recipe.

So the issue is Mountain Dew?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't care what the calendar says, common sense dictates that we have likely seen the hottest stretch. Doesn't mean won't see several more days above 90.

Definitely but more scattered and less sustained. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't care what the calendar says, common sense dictates that we have likely seen the hottest stretch. Doesn't mean won't see several more days above 90.

That’s not really a step down then…if you hit 98 for a week in June and then low 90s in July, is that a step down?

• Like 1

Governor's Office saying at least one death from storm:

https://vtdigger.org/2024/07/11/vermont-digs-out-after-more-than-5-inches-of-rain-cover-portions-of-the-state/

At least one person died after the remnants of Tropical Storm Beryl deluged central and northern Vermont late Wednesday, Gov. Phil Scott said at a press conference Thursday morning. 

Authorities had not officially tied the death to the storm, Public Safety Commissioner Jennifer Morrison said at the press conference, but believe it was a Peacham man whose vehicle was swept away by water. 

• Sad 1

We'll have to watch as we get closer but that is a pretty decent trough/front next week advertised by the GFS. That could certainly shake things up for a bit and we'll have to see how long it takes to recover. We'll get humidity back more quickly (maybe not the oppressive stuff though) but the hotter temps may get to the OV and deflect southeast. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

We'll have to watch as we get closer but that is a pretty decent trough/front next week advertised by the GFS. That could certainly shake things up for a bit and we'll have to see how long it takes to recover. We'll get humidity back more quickly (maybe not the oppressive stuff though) but the hotter temps may get to the OV and deflect southeast. 

GFS is likely overdone with that scale and degree of the cool back in the GL/Missouri Valley

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Probably won’t help when you have 4-6” of rain in 2 hours. That’s the real issue. Record dews and PWATs on 4K mountains isn’t a good recipe.

We had over 2” in 41 minutes after like 1.5” already.  Thats when shit really hit the fan.  Every culvert and stream just explodes from the force multiplier of the mountains.

If we keep chucking record dews and PWATS into the mtns, it won’t change.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

GFS is likely overdone with that scale and degree of the cool back in the GL/Missouri Valley

That's what I am leaning towards as well but that is some big time anomalous ridging poking into the Arctic circle. Haven't been looking much into the larger picture but looks like some big changes occur across Eastern Asia these next few days which plays a significant role across the PAC and western NA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's funny cuz we've often noted that we don't contribute to global warming very well with the high temperature behavior in our region of the continent.  We do, however, seem to perform very well with nighttime lows.   Well this ^ is a 'roided up version of that, huh. Maybe we can single contribution move the global needle a decimal or two haha

Some July averages for PWM:

Period       Max    Min    Mean
1941-70    79.1    56.9    68.0
2001-30   79.3    61.0    70.2

1950s       79.8   56.5    68.2
2020s      79.9    62.5    71.2

Kind of a funny cool eddy in MA Bay. Boston Buoy at 61 and Stellwagen Bay 56. I don't think I've seen that so late in the season. Meanwhile off the south coast it's in the 70s or close to it. 

That's odd but I've seen it years ago when living in NNJ.  During the late '50s-early '60s we visited Sandy Hook State Park a number of times during July, and the water was almost always 70-72, just cool enough to be bracing compared to the bathwater temps at our small lake.  Then one late July occasion the water was 57 and I don't recall any serious storms that would've stirred the pot.
(Being teenagers, we spent most of the time in that water anyway.)