Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

3 minutes ago, NoCORH4L said:

VT needs to update their FEMA flood maps and design storm criteria for culvert sizing. 

Probably won’t help when you have 4-6” of rain in 2 hours. That’s the real issue. Record dews and PWATs on 4K mountains isn’t a good recipe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I mean, this state is starting to spend so much money putting roads back together every summer… that if this stuff is going to keep on happening, might need to rethink some of this.

The amount of road closures in VT is insane this morning.

The 1-year anniversary of the 500-year flood :lol:.

CC advocates focus on coastal areas almost too exclusively and neglect to point out the impact of interior mountainous areas where precip is squeezed out and runoff is exasperated. State and the federal agencies need to plan and execute progressive strategies or communities will exhaust funds, and flee, from continuous band-aid type responses. There is a limit to how much rebuilding people and communities can do…

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, NoCORH4L said:

VT needs to update their FEMA flood maps and design storm criteria for culvert sizing. 

We have been working on that since Irene.  It's just hard to keep up.  The story below is from last year.

https://www.vermontpublic.org/local-news/2023-07-25/vermont-spent-millions-on-flood-mitigation-after-tropical-storm-irene-did-it-work

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paleocene said:

I am visiting your subforum (from my mid atlantic home). I am on the shore of moosehead lake, and I hope it rains extremely hard tonight and washes out the gravel road I'm back several miles deep on. I will then be stuck here, which is great, as I am a climate refugee from my near-DC home where it is always 100° this time of year. Incidentally, some locals up here were discussing how this heat is atypical this time of year. Y'all have it nice up here in the summer. Nice view from atop Mt. Kineo this morning.

PXL_20240710_135536264.jpg

Staying at The Birches?   Greenville reported 1.51" between 2 and 8 AM, Twentymile Road might have taken some damage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoCORH4L said:

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We have been working on that since Irene.  It's just hard to keep up.  The story below is from last year.

https://www.vermontpublic.org/local-news/2023-07-25/vermont-spent-millions-on-flood-mitigation-after-tropical-storm-irene-did-it-work

Another article from last year with a similar theme After Irene, Vermont ‘built back smarter.’ It has more work to do.  Anecdotally, on a similar note, the story was the same with our snowmobile trail system.  Bridges and culverts that had been addressed fared well while older infrastructure did not.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Staying at The Birches?   Greenville reported 1.51" between 2 and 8 AM, Twentymile Road might have taken some damage.

We're at a privately owned/rented cabin that is off a side road which connects to Lily Bay road. Closer to Greenville. There was heavy rain overnight but nothing biblical. We have not ventured out yet but I will be surprised if there is road damage.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is real bad.

Most of this area is destroyed through C/N VT.

The ski area is cut off from town.  Stowe town closures…

VT-ALERT: Mountain Road (VT108) at Top Notch Resort; Moscow Rd at Barrows Rd; Nebraska Valley Rd; Nebraska Valley Rd beyond the Town Gravel Pit; Percy Hill Rd in area of 215 Percy Hill; Gold Brook Rd from Gold Brook Circle to Stowe Hollow Rd.; Dewey Hill Rd closed from Gold Brook Rd to Ayers Farm; North Hollow Rd above Bryan Rd; West Hill Rd (between Mayo Farm Road and VT100); Moscow Rd closed from Rt 100 to River Rd; and Bouchard Rd are closed in Stowe due to floodwaters. Anticipated reopen time is unknown. Please contact Stowe Emergency Operations Center at 802-585-1882 for more information.

Reminds me of Jay Maine on 6/29/23, with 4-6" in 2 hours, only it's more widespread in VT.  Several main roads were closed for months and at least one secondary road still hasn't been put back together - fortunately, residents nearby have other access.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

We're at a privately owned/rented cabin that is off a side road which connects to Lily Bay road. Closer to Greenville. There was heavy rain overnight but nothing biblical. We have not ventured out yet but I will be surprised if there is road damage.

My guess was on the wrong side of the lake.  Lily Bay State Park is wonderful, but if that cabin is on/near the shore, you don't need the park.

1.93" from this event, with more than one inch 4-4:45 yesterday afternoon from a separate (but related) band south of the major dumping.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Morning mins. 6z-12z anyway…

image.gif

It's the regional integral that's noteworthy for me. 

We've seen urban elevated lows due to very local island effects all the time where lows don't fall beneath the low 70s.  Even mid to upper 70s isn't that uncommon 'down town'  during heat waves.    But in this situation ... we're not in a heat wave for one ( tho close in some cases?). Regionally,  a well mixed breeziness overnight where the bucolic settings are just as a torrid as any urban centers.  

Noting the 60s DPs in PA to N NYS. 

It's funny cuz we've often noted that we don't contribute to global warming very well with the high temperature behavior in our region of the continent.  We do, however, seem to perform very well with nighttime lows.   Well this ^ is a 'roided up version of that, huh. Maybe we can single contribution move the global needle a decimal or two haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We've seen urban elevated lows due to very local island effects all the time where lows don't fall beneath the low 70s.  Even mid to upper 70s isn't that uncommon 'down town'  during heat waves.    But in this situation ... we're not in a heat wave for one ( tho close in some cases?). But regionally,  a well mixed breeziness overnight where the bucolic settings are just as a torrid as any urban centers.  

It's funny cuz we've often noted that we don't contribute to global warming very well with the high temperature behavior in our region of the continent.  We do, however, seem to perform very well with nighttime lows.   Well this ^ is a 'roided up version of that, huh. Maybe we can single contribution move the global needles a decimal or two haha

I am certainly in a heatwave...4 consecutive days above 90*.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We've seen urban elevated lows due to very local island effects all the time where lows don't fall beneath the low 70s.  Even mid to upper 70s isn't that uncommon 'down town'  during heat waves.    But in this situation ... we're not in a heat wave for one ( tho close in some cases?). But regionally,  a well mixed breeziness overnight where the bucolic settings are just as a torrid as any urban centers.  

It's funny cuz we've often noted that we don't contribute to global warming very well with the high temperature behavior in our region of the continent.  We do, however, seem to perform very well with nighttime lows.   Well this ^ is a 'roided up version of that, huh. Maybe we can single contribution move the global needles a decimal or two haha

Some places (KFIT) have been in a heat wave.   But otherwise yup 

yeah, I wasn't sure guys.   not surprising.  But this has gone down as advertised last week ( fwiw - )  The temperature side of this routine hasn't been extraordinary.   I wrote that a 'seasonal heat wave' was favored - but that doesn't include people's perceptions and/or HI valuations due to bathtub DPs.   haha. 

When it's 91/77 ... you're 106ing is performing better than the 96/63 stuff we used to get in prior climate generations ... before Gaia started slowly turning up the fire under the toads in the pan. heh.

But last week ... I mean one is not inclined to believe DP prognostics at a scalar degree.  Not even sure 75 to 80 was modeled - nor by hours

This morning around dawn we were getting these weird tiny droplet quick showers that barely made enough sound through the trees to be audible.  They lasted about 30 seconds ... not enough to completely wet the roads.  Radar showed just single pixels of lowest DBZ possible ... like freckles across the scans.  The T/TD was 78/77 here. 

It's almost like the the atmosphere was at a theta-e threshold were it simply could not hold more water.  Thermodynamic shedding, so to speak.  The feel of the air has the 'metalic warmth' I call it - when it seems like you can feel the infrared dosing from the air itself ( probably like those that 'smell rain'). 

More tropical than Aruba

• Like 2