Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

14 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

whatever you do, please don’t base your fears on the hype that you read here. Things rarely pan out they way that they are hyped on here. and I’m talking all types of weather, not just summer. The hype is very, very, very rarely realized 

You mean to tell me he/she shouldn’t take the kuchie maps some here post showing 2 feet of snow from a cutter in April seriously? 

• Haha 2

I hate the term "nice breeze". There's no such thing as a nice breeze. If you want a "nice breeze" go get a fan from Ocean State Job lot and stand in front of it. They're disruptive and you can't do anything...they just blow stuff around. Sitting outside and it blew my plate which had my toaster struddle on it on top of me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 6

14 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I hate the term "nice breeze". There's no such thing as a nice breeze. If you want a "nice breeze" go get a fan from Ocean State Job lot and stand in front of it. They're disruptive and you can't do anything...they just blow stuff around. Sitting outside and it blew my plate which had my toaster struddle on it on top of me. 

There’s a nice breeze today.

• Haha 6
  • Weenie 1

49 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Sorry about your strudel, ww. But even Mother Nature has to pass wind. As always …..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Agreed. It makes everything a pain in the ass from lawn clean-up, putting tarps on wood piles, to boating or fishing, eating outside, sending beach sand up your swim trunks, making you putting a shawl on and off a thousand times. No good use for it. Wind only nice in storms. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Great time to do outdoor sports and activities. Saw Bicyclists everywhere on my way home from the gym.

no... well that too, but I mean where the dp is driest

On 6/30/2024 at 10:51 AM, SJonesWX said:

whatever you do, please don’t base your fears on the hype that you read here. Things rarely pan out they way that they are hyped on here. and I’m talking all types of weather, not just summer. The hype is very, very, very rarely realized 

Yeah, I'm kinda noticing that. I'm afraid I will definitely be caught up in the hype in the winter, as I love winter storms and always am watching every detail, every forecast. My obsession with winter storms is probably why my parents thought I was going to grow up to be a meteorologist. :lol:

20 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

You didn't move far north enough.

Perhaps. Initially I wanted to move to MA over CT, and climate-wise wanted more VT/NH/ME (but wanted to live close to civilization, too and those states are pretty rural. I'm a suburb girl, definitely not one for the country.). But CT was a compromise with my parents who like the weather warmer. I wanted them to move up here to New England, too, so that's how I ended up CT as opposed to MA or further north.

14 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

As said, severe here is nothing lime Oklahoma or the Great Plains. I see you live in Connecticut. Connecticut averages about 1.5 tornadoes per year and all are relatively weak and short-lived. The last major tornado in the state was July 10, 1989 when an F4 tornado impacted an area from Hamden to North Haven. We have had several events over the years produce multiple tornadoes, but again all weak and generally short-lived. 

In terms of hail and straight-line wind damage, it is usually not high impact. For the most part, the largest hail we will get is anywhere between 1.00-1.50'' in diameter and every now and then you'll get a golf ball report but that is rather infrequent. For straight-line winds, generally the highest is in the 50-60 mph range. The bigger issue is we have weak trees and lots of overgrown trees so power outages can become a concern. 

Outside of Wednesday, the last major severe weather event to impact the state was August 2020 and prior to that was 5/15/2018. High-end severe here is very rare. We just have so many trees, weak and rotted, and many properties have trees in close proximity to houses. 

Well, I'm still new here. I have to learn things by observing myself, I suppose. But the trees being weak is certainly of concern. It's always been trees that have caused damage for my home/property as I posted last time. So if a 40 MPH windstorm knocks a large branch on my car, it's all the same in the end. D: Yikes. Will take trees into account when finding a permanent home.

14 hours ago, tunafish said:

You've only been here two weeks and the schtick is already played out.  Take a lap, regroup, try again tomorrow. 

No shtick here, just me posting my honest thoughts. :unsure:

I had to leave OK and choose a new state by other rubrics as well, but a large reason I particularly chose the New England region is climate. So it's something I'm going to talk about. It's very important to me. I don't know what it is, but a fair portion of my mental health is related to climate and seasons.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

Perhaps. Initially I wanted to move to MA over CT, and climate-wise wanted more VT/NH/ME (but wanted to live close to civilization, too and those states are pretty rural. I'm a suburb girl, definitely not one for the country.). But CT was a compromise with my parents who like the weather warmer. I wanted them to move up here to New England, too, so that's how I ended up CT as opposed to MA or further north.

Don't get me wrong, some years are great and when a big Nor'easter hits us it can be a beautiful thing, like Nemo. We're just currently in a bad string of winters for winter weather lovers.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

1 more day tomorrow and we’re out of this mess and onto dewy 

You don’t make any sense. It is two more days but it’s still pretty damn warm lol. It’s not like it is 55f and drizzle. What can’t you do today that you can do in 90/75? 

• Haha 1