Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

16 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Ever consider Seattle?

I was thinking maybe an island on Lake Superior. She will like our December cutters… “reminds me of an Oklahoma rain storm in October.”

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

Sunny and in the lower 80s. I don't like the sun being out, but I like the decreased humidity, I guess. Today reminds me of a late September/October day in Oklahoma. The gusts and low humidity. I can't wait for fall here (and hope it will be significantly cooler than this, unlike Oklahoma and it's miserable hot-into-November falls).

It is funny how such conditions as today can send my brain false signals that it's a time of the year that it's not. I'm probably completely alone on that here, though, given it's based off of where I came from.

Tulsa had a high of 40 on October 29 last year. And you say it’s miserably hot even in November ?

1 hour ago, Blizzard22 said:

Tulsa had a high of 40 on October 29 last year. And you say it’s miserably hot even in November ?

And that day, 40/36, was 19° BN - it can happen; the 31st was 48/25, for 20° BN.  Average for Oct. 29 is 57, about 67/47 for max/min.  They've probably touched 90 sometime in early November.

On 7/25/2024 at 4:04 PM, Torch Tiger said:

My father worked at a German computer/POS systems Co. then also. I remember going to his work in the mid 80s and the supercomputers took up entirety of 20x20 rooms. lol

GFDL built a big addition to house a new computer in the early80s (I think that was when it went up).  I remember visiting my dad at the lab in 90s and by then the computer had been replaced with one which took up just a fraction of the room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

Ever consider Seattle?

I did consider it. Stereotypical Seattle would be nice for me. However, I was concerned by the effects of climate change. I saw Seattle dealing with record heat waves and wildfires and decided that the stereotypical Seattle just isn't what Seattle is anymore, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I was thinking maybe an island on Lake Superior. She will like our December cutters… “reminds me of an Oklahoma rain storm in October.”

Oh... Yeah, I keep an eye on Duluth's weather and think it looks quite pleasant. I also considered upstate NY like Buffalo or Rochester areas, but ultimately I decided on Connecticut because my parents would hate all of those climates (they have SAD and don't like overcast days - the polar opposite of me) and I wanted to move somewhere where they would be fine with moving to. I want them to be nearby so I can take care of them later in their lives.

1 hour ago, Blizzard22 said:

Yes, well, November is typically when it had cooled down and become nice. However, I will never forget November of 2016. It didn't cool down properly at all. There were still green leaves on trees into November, and I remember the middle of the month walking outside and it was in the mid 80s and a wasp flew right by me. I was peeved beyond belief. That wasn't the beginning of my depression related to the weakening fall and winter, but it was certainly a tipping point.

I used to think that mid-October was the cooling point down there, but that didn't always pan out. I remember many October days in the 90s, unfortunately. I think at some point, no month will be safe from the 90s down there. Right now no month is safe from the 80s, I can tell you that much.

In 2001, I wrote in my diary being surprised that it got up to 70 in December one day (yes, I kept track of the weather in my diaries LOL). While I'm sure it had before, it was unprecedented to me. But then not even a decade later it was in the mid 80s on the day after Christmas (I think this was 2008, but I could be wrong). Ugh. Miserable. I'm so glad to not have to live down there anymore. Those bad autumns and winters were effecting my mental health. And I went through so many of them. Never again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcglups said:

smoke in northern New Hampshire rather thick, can't recall what fires are fueling this, but the morning was beautiful. It is still really nice outside, just lots of smoke haze.

Blame Canada

• Like 1

3 hours ago, klw said:

GFDL built a big addition to house a new computer in the early80s (I think that was when it went up).  I remember visiting my dad at the lab in 90s and by then the computer had been replaced with one which took up just a fraction of the room.

Just think there's more power in an Iphone than what was on Apollo 13.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Just think there's more power in an Iphone than what was on Apollo 13.

For sure. Back in the early '80s when I was in college my summer job was driving a truck. My route on Friday was picking up "mini computers" from Data General in westborough and delivering to New York City.  Boss gave clear instructions to only drop where they had a loading dock . They were huge...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yesterday, Brian posted something to the effect that he was glad it's not the 1960s or 70s in regard to having an interest in weather.

Heh...I was just referring to the cool and dry summers back then and comparing it to the seemingly constant soup we get now.. I'm a simple person. I could go back and live in the past no problem.

• Like 4

I don’t think the timing climo matters as much these days if we’re talking August. Just a few years ago we had Isaias in early August. You just need the right steering pattern and importantly…an actual system that’s developed. 

I wouldn’t summarily dismiss a US threat (even if not NE lol) with this lemon. This seems like a fairly classic case where models catch up to the likely more favorable conditions in the western Atlantic tied with a well timed CCKW passage. It’s not much today, but it’s definitely worth a casual watch right now imo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1