Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Isn’t it Coc k ?

That’s true. This is the first time it’s rained with dews in the 50s in a very long time.

Orographic showers.  The ones summer camps fear.

All joking aside, it gets chilly in a hurry when it rains at lower dews.  Immediate drop to 61-62F.

IMG_0328.jpeg.b5ce9fe3889ad389d1e9f0ade117f7a5.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s true. This is the first time it’s rained with dews in the 50s in a very long time.

All joking aside, it gets chilly in a hurry when it rains at lower dews.  Immediate drop to 61-62F.

If it was 72/71 you’d be warm . This is not good tonight there 

• Like 2

IMG_0271.thumb.jpeg.c129f1ee1b70687d9d4d67c2f127ea9f.jpegBeautiful evening down in Chatham..I kept waiting for that line of showers to give us a quick soaking but it fizzled out right before coming overhead. I guess I can’t complain about the dreaded stein effect back at home with the water issues down here!

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If it was 72/71 you’d be warm . This is not good tonight there 

I said that yesterday. It rains no matter what. It’s like winning the lottery if you have sunny and temps in the 80s. Terrible place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I said that yesterday. It rains no matter what. It’s like winning the lottery if you have sunny and temps in the 80s. Terrible place. 

Just waiting for the real estate prices to mature a bit more and then getting out of here.  Maybe Newark or somewhere near there is the next life stop?

This evening’s dog hike, dodging showers, in this god forsaken land.

IMG_0326.thumb.jpeg.ca0b03f0c73e5cfae5d6a3a666033f11.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

Is CoC "summer"?  Or 76/55 "high!  

A real manly coc is 90/75. Only the most experienced of coc lovers can appreciate such high levels of dewiness. Everything else falls just a little short.

• Like 1

I wonder if we get a name out of this. 

Sunday into Monday...

Guidance has continued to trend stronger with mid level low

developing off the SNE coast, but should not have much if any impact

on sensible weather during Sunday. Some of the guidance is hinting

at a potential warm core system but low pres and assocd moisture

will remain far enough offshore so expecting plenty of sunshine

Sunday with warm temps. Highs will reach mid-upper 80s, but a bit

cooler along the immediate coast as onshore breezes develop. There

will be a slight increase in humidity as dewpoints climb into the

60s.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Many years ago (1982) we spent the July 4th weekend at Allagash Bible Camp, next to the St. John River.  We'd had a strong CF come thru on the 2nd (Friday) and both the 3rd and 4th would see temps climb to the 60s, then the cold aloft would trigger afternoon showers that chopped the temps into the 40s.  Everyone was looking for extra blankets.  At home, 350' higher elevation, the 4th had 65/33 for temps, and had we been there, I wouldn't have been surprised by some IP/slush in those showers.  (We did see slush that summer, on August 28.)

• Like 5

We're definitely going to boost the dewpoints moving into next week and that should be the overall theme for the next few weeks. In terms of getting higher surges of heat in here, that actually may be tough. It looks active with fronts so we may not get the flux of 90's in here. There may be some brief relief at times with the dews (especially the northern part of the region) but its going to be active with shower/thunderstorm potential. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

We're definitely going to boost the dewpoints moving into next week and that should be the overall theme for the next few weeks. In terms of getting higher surges of heat in here, that actually may be tough. It looks active with fronts so we may not get the flux of 90's in here. There may be some brief relief at times with the dews (especially the northern part of the region) but its going to be active with shower/thunderstorm potential. 

Hope so.  Our 26-year average for August TS is 3.1, but we've had only a total of 5 in the past 4 years.  September (avg 1.0) has had the same number.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

Top 10 day today. 80/59

Yeah I was just gonna say ... we've had some other gems this summer ( definitely more than that abysmal summer, last year..) but this is right up there with the very best. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Yesterday, Brian posted something to the effect that he was glad it's not the 1960s or 70s in regard to having an interest in weather.  I agree!  I was born in 1956 and grew up in these decades.  Other than Don Kent or waiting for the National Weather Service phone update, there was not much weather info in the 1960s.  I know Don Kent relied on Ham radio.  He also knew New England weather.  One of his rules was if it is over 25F on MWN and a storm was coming up the coast then Boston would have mostly rain.  It seemed like there were many more Miller A's back then??  Things started to change slightly in the 1970s with crude satellite pictures on TV.  My folks were divorced, so I spent much of this period between  Metro Boston and Metro Baltimore.  In the very early 70s I was very friendly with Bob Turk who was on WJZ TV in Baltimore.  Since I lived NW of the city before he went on air he would sometimes call me and ask me to scan the skies. I would stand on my  hilltop and scan the horizon for thunderstorms.  I would also scan my AM radio to hear lightning static.  I called that SPM (statics per minute) and I could tell by volume or frequency if storms were approaching.  Of course, no one knew exactly where they were until they hit.  Dialing a number more than 25 miles away was usually long distance and expensive for small talk.  In the mid 70s I was in collage at the University of Maryland.  I hated high math and physics, so ended with a degree in Physical Geography.  I took some Met. Courses and  intern shipped  6 months at the NWS at BWI.  I remember in 1978 getting the first crude radar scans on facsimile type machines.  Lots of hanging charts.  Was it the LFM model?  Part of my internship was making the hourly broadcast on NOAA weather radio which was the newest big way to get info.  We called it the Balt/Washington now cast.  I was down there for the Blizzard of 78.  I remember days ahead, they knew it was going to be a strong storm. Fast-forward to moving back to Boston full-time after school.  By 1979 TV forecasts like Bruce and Barry, Harvey were stating to show crude radar.  That helped in the short term as you could see where the precip was.  So really up until the internet the only information I can remember getting was TV, radio or the newspapers. Big change in the Mid 90s with the internet.  Very slow bandwidth and downloading graphics tied up your phone line forever if you wanted to view a graphic, but it changed everything.  Todd Gross was the first Boston Met to use the internet. He started the Boston weather net. Local enthusiasts could post obs, but not many people had computers. Computer Cafe were becoming popular.  Pay by the minute to get on the net. I went to Harvard Square to see what it was all about.  I was blown away! A couple dozen weather sites on Web crawler and Netscape, some of  the first search engines.  I was hooked!  The next day I went out and spent a ton of money on my first  PC.  Nowadays, anyone with a deep passion for Meteorology can learn so much.  Definitely the info age.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yesterday, Brian posted something to the effect that he was glad it's not the 1960s or 70s in regard to having an interest in weather.  I agree!  I was born in 1956 and grew up in these decades.  Other than Don Kent or waiting for the National Weather Service phone update, there was not much weather info in the 1960s.  

Not that much wx info then, but those decades offered some of the best events of my experience.  1960-72 NNJ, 73-75 BGR 76-79 Fort Kent
1960-61:  March blizzard, 3 big storms DJF with 62" total, near 4-foot pack, 12" paste 3/23, a few IP on 5/27
12/31/62:  Temp 5/-8, gusts to 70, bare-limbed oaks ripped from frozen ground, plate glass windows smashed.
1966-67:  2 15" storms, 12/24 with thunder (did not believe until the 2nd boom) and 2/7 with S+ at 5°.  3" surprise on 4/27
1969:  Mayor Lindsey storm 2/9, 18" - much fell while we drove 30 miles to home from scout camp.
Dec 1970:  2nd biggest ice storm of my NJ years (but 100 times less damaging than Jan 1953)
Dec 1973:  56 with RA+ at BGR, at same time ZR and 25 at NYC and 15 with IP at the NNJ place.
Aug. 2, 1975:  Hot Saturday - 100 at BHB next to the cold sea
1976:  Jan 12:  -41, welcome to Fort Kent
Feb 2:  Heavy rain, CAR bar. 957, 115 mph gust Stonington (Pen. Bay) and the south wind floods downtown BGR, 15 ft rise 15 minutes.  temp at home 44 to -6 in 5 hours.
Mar. 19-20:  From -25 to 50 in 32 hr.
May 7:  1.5" in 45 minutes, as I tilled the garden.
Aug. 10:  Remains of Belle, 6" RA, mostly 6-10 PM, major road/bridge damage, especially logging roads.
Dec 26-30: Two storms total 36", burying our blue Beetle.  We drove thru S+ from Kennebunk to Fort Kent, midnight to 8 AM on 29-30.
Jan. 10, 1978:  40° at 10:30 PM, TS/hail and 24° at 10:45, 17° with SN by 11:30.
1979, Jan had 5 minima of 33-35, only >32s in our 10 Januarys.  That month also had lows of -39, -42 and -47, 3 of our 5 coldest mornings.
Feb. 10-17, 8 straight days with subzero maxima, with winds 20-35 and one day up to 25-50+
Oct. 23:  Avg temp warmer than mid-July norm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sunny and in the lower 80s. I don't like the sun being out, but I like the decreased humidity, I guess. Today reminds me of a late September/October day in Oklahoma. The gusts and low humidity. I can't wait for fall here (and hope it will be significantly cooler than this, unlike Oklahoma and it's miserable hot-into-November falls).

It is funny how such conditions as today can send my brain false signals that it's a time of the year that it's not. I'm probably completely alone on that here, though, given it's based off of where I came from.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

Sunny and in the lower 80s. I don't like the sun being out, but I like the decreased humidity, I guess. Today reminds me of a late September/October day in Oklahoma. The gusts and low humidity. I can't wait for fall here (and hope it will be significantly cooler than this, unlike Oklahoma and it's miserable hot-into-November falls).

It is funny how such conditions as today can send my brain false signals that it's a time of the year that it's not. I'm probably completely alone on that here, though, given it's based off of where I came from.

Ever consider Seattle?

• Haha 1