Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I can’t imagine living in the 60s and 70s. lol

60’s and 70’s, yes and I also spent up to age 12 in the 50’s. Newspapers, TV (if you had one) and radio was your major 50’s news/information source. Out front, out back, the street for stickball was our summer joy, warm or hot just as long as you were out. Winter just like today, in the five boroughs, was pray for snow. I remember considering it a win if the ground was covered. We made due with slush balls as necessary but damn a direct  hit was not pleasant. Basic memories of an old guy brought to the surface by a simple sentence. Thank you Dendrite, as always …..

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Likely a springpole. They are a menace. Even when you know what you're doing. It's counterintuitive to cut where there's the most pressure . Elm and white oak spring poles are the worst (another reason not to cut elm). I usually hack them with a hatchet before I go in with the saw.

Even when they don't spring.  While gathering firewood west of Allagash Village, I encountered a horizontal sapling springpole (1-1.5" dia.) that blocked my access to a nice pole-size beech that had been bulldozed over during road building.  I carefully cut the sapling from above (wrong way, but Game of Logging was yet to be developed) but it only "sprang" a couple inches and would swing like a turnstile.  I bucked the tree and began tossing 4-foot pieces over the sapling and toward the pickup.  The last piece was 5 feet, and at the but end, probably near 100 lb.  As I tossed it forward, the far end caught the sapling, and at the end of my throw the strongly deflected "turnstile" slipped over the log and caught me squarely on the forehead.  When the stars finally stopped circling, I realized how fortunate I had been - a hit that powerful anywhere on my head but where it struck would've been very destructive, possibly fatal.
We actually had some sun, first in 3 days.  Some storms in the area, though they look to slide by to the north.  Rain isn't needed right now, but I like a noisy TS.  Other than Feb 10 (when I was trying to protect food platters we were loading into the car for a church supper, so distracted from enjoying the storm), we've not had even a moderate TS since June 2022.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, kdxken said:

It was dry. 1968 or 69 I believe. By the end of the drought the entire pond dried. 

mepond (1).jpg

The mid-60s drought was huge in SNE/MA.  At Central Park, only a very wet November prevented 1963 being the driest since records began there in 1869, pushing it back to 3rd place (temporarily).  1964 did break the record and 1965 had 6" less than '64. 1966 was tracking very close to '65 thru August - it's still NYC's driest met summer and 2nd only to 2010 for hottest.  Then 4-6" fell on 9/21/66; one storm doesn't end a multi-year drought, of course, but from then on, we had normal to AN precip.  The city's water managers breathed sighs of relief, as their massive reservoir system was down to a couple weeks' supply.
In 1965, six states recorded their driest year, the 3 SNE states plus NJ, PA, DE.  NY missed, as its Southern Tier counties' climo is considerably drier than the rest of the state, and its driest is in that region.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

Good observation. It had enough forward lean that it wasn't necessary. Made damn sure however I had a clean path just in case. Working alone I don't mess around. 

I sort of feel like the video stopped 3 seconds too soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The New York Times would print a visible sat photo each day.  With big storms I would cut them out to "track" them by cutting it out day and flipping through them to see movement. 

My dad worked at GFDL and their supercomputer was the most powerful or one of the 2 or 3 most powerful in the world in the 70s and into the 80's- it used punch cards.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, klw said:

The New York Times would print a visible sat photo each day.  With big storms I would cut them out to "track" them by cutting it out day and flipping through them to see movement. 

My dad worked at GFDL and their supercomputer was the most powerful or one of the 2 or 3 most powerful in the world in the 70s and into the 80's- it used punch cards.

My father worked at a German computer/POS systems Co. then also. I remember going to his work in the mid 80s and the supercomputers took up entirety of 20x20 rooms. lol

• Like 2

Fantastic afternoon.   76/59  nice dry breeze and some Cu and Cirrus.  For what it's worth the 12Z Euro has quite a lot of rain for me next week.  Over 4".  It's like looking at the clown maps in winter.  I see people are talking about living in the 60s and 70s and weather stuff.  I was born in 1956 and I was interested in weather as a kid.  I'll have to post what it was like pre internet, satellite and radar.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Slowly the promised weekend Coc k has morphed into an ULL with dews in low- mid 60’s with scattered storms . Interesting to say the least 

Dews will generally be lower than that, beefing up later Sunday maybe.  Week 2 on the 12z gfs op is an inferno

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Slowly the promised weekend Coc k has morphed into an ULL with dews in low- mid 60’s with scattered storms . Interesting to say the least 

We’ll go with this from OKX, adjust for SNE accordingly:

SHORT TERM /6 AM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/... Behind the frontal passage, a drier, more tranquil, regime sets up into this weekend. Surface high pressure over the Great Lakes Friday slides over the region Saturday, before shifting offshore Saturday night. Aloft, a lingering trough exits offshore and heights begin to quickly climb Saturday as ridging over the Upper Great Lakes translates eastward.

Abundant sunshine expected both afternoons with perhaps a bit of diurnal cu development, but even this may be limited with subsidence from the nearby high. Temperatures will be quite seasonable for late July, with afternoon highs generally around the mid 80s, and parts of the urban NE NJ corridor getting into the upper 80s. The real difference however will be dew pts, largely in the 50s to near 60, which will allow much more comfortable conditions relative to the high humidity experienced much of this week. Overnight lows fall back into the 60s for most, though 50s are likely in parts of Orange Co and the LI Pine Barrens, with potentially decent radiative cooling conditions setting up. Dry conditions persist through this period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

I don’t think we spent any time in the 60s and 70s… We went right from the 50s to the 80s this year

Oh… You meant those decades

• Confused 1

That cut off low looks worse than it really is… I mean it’s only about 582 at nadir and because it’s happening at a very elevated ambient height field.  

In fact, that may not even represent below the middle levels and even if it does, it’s probably gonna be more east and south of it 

18z gfs looked weaker yet 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Raining again.  Make it stop.

0.32” on the day.

No memories getting made today.

No rain here. I spent the day at our employee appreciation event at Lake Morey. It was beautiful.  

IMG_4578.jpeg

IMG_4577.jpeg

• Like 5