Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

39 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like you had a nice soaking .36 yesterday and .70 last 2 days 

Yeah it’s been okay. Still more of a have not than a have, but any helps. The dry weekend will evaporate the sfc moisture quickly. Soil sensor at 6” is still 89cb which is bone dry. 
IMG_8819.png

sorta odd looking.   models are attempting a warm if not hot lower troposphere during a pattern whose geometric layout/orientation is somewhat inconsistent at a glance.  

I guess the 850 mb is just warm regardless

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

sorta odd looking.   models are attempting a warm if not hot lower troposphere during a pattern whose geometric layout/orientation is somewhat inconsistent at a glance.  

I guess the 850 mb is just warm regardless

WAA on NW flow is always fun. We’re getting a Mid Atlantic summer.

15 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Taking advantage of the relatively cool air. Going to have to wade through a lot of crap to saw this up. Greenbrier and shorts don't mix if you value your skin.

Screenshot_20240725_121825_Studio.jpg

Greenbriar is one plant that I've happily never seen in Maine, but we had impenetrable thickets of it in NNJ.  I've donated enough blood to blackberry bushes in Maine, usually while surveying recent (<10 years old) harvests to check the status of regeneration.
I assume you'll dump that little dead leaner before attacking the big dead tree.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Greenbriar is one plant that I've happily never seen in Maine, but we had impenetrable thickets of it in NNJ.  I've donated enough blood to blackberry bushes in Maine, usually while surveying recent (<10 years old) harvests to check the status of regeneration.
I assume you'll dump that little dead leaner before attacking the big dead tree.

Good observation. It had enough forward lean that it wasn't necessary. Made damn sure however I had a clean path just in case. Working alone I don't mess around. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Good observation. It had enough forward lean that it wasn't necessary. Made damn sure however I had a clean path just in case. Working alone I don't mess around. 

Absolutely.

Our landlord when we first moved to Fort Kent had a firewood business, among other interests, and some years after we'd moved to our first house, he was out alone working on wood.  He had no memory of what happened, just that he awakened in great pain, while sitting on a stump.  After walking out to his truck and driving to the hospital (needless to say, he was tough), doctors found 7 ribs broken, right close to the spine, along with some other trauma.  Springpole to the back?
He was unable to cut wood for a month or so, but I'm sure he continued shearing his Christmas trees!

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Absolutely.

Our landlord when we first moved to Fort Kent had a firewood business, among other interests, and some years after we'd moved to our first house, he was out alone working on wood.  He had no memory of what happened, just that he awakened in great pain, while sitting on a stump.  After walking out to his truck and driving to the hospital (needless to say, he was tough), doctors found 7 ribs broken, right close to the spine, along with some other trauma.  Springpole to the back?
He was unable to cut wood for a month or so, but I'm sure he continued shearing his Christmas trees!

Likely a springpole. They are a menace. Even when you know what you're doing. It's counterintuitive to cut where there's the most pressure . Elm and white oak spring poles are the worst (another reason not to cut elm). I usually hack them with a hatchet before I go in with the saw.

• Like 1