Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The irony is this idea that warm, humid weather is nice while cooler weather leads to a cold rain just keeps getting proven wrong.

We had 3 nice dry days with normal temps and COC dews… literally the minute the dew rose above 65F it started raining again.

there is literally only one person on this forum that holds that idea. And he is crazy, sooooo

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Sigh….we need a tropical storm or something to break up the boredom 

We watch end of next week into next weekend.. probably more of a Florida threat though if it even develops 

• Like 1

Yeah everything's "feels" like this or "seems" like that when it comes to people's moods and attitudes about sensible weather ( helping to modulate their climate awareness...)  And this provides a delicious plate of items for people to eat arguments over. 

We've had this disco/debate in the past, but in short ... given enough acclimation time,  perceptions will tend to separate more and more from empirical/objective data.  It's the +D(meh) effect. LOL  

However, June was ~ +5.                      +             5      

July appears destined to the same result. 

Purely constrained by thermodynamics that are natively associated/driven by season, there is a quasi floor to how cold it can get in winter, and likewise a ceiling for how hot it can get in summer. In order to average -5 or +5 respectively ( to mention, for whole month's worth!) is something of an impressive achievement respective of season.

Regardless of however tenuous one's perception of objective reality is or not, this is a blow torch summer.  

But ... I suppose that subjective aspect has to have the near crisis run-in with physical exposure to 107 F before they believe that. 

This is part and parcel (example) in my non-obligatory, GW plausible deniability theory.   Human beings, like all other biologic life on this rock where ( apparently ) is the only place in the cosmos where that actually happens ... are programmed to respond to whatever it is they see, hear, smell, feel, or taste, probably in that order. These are the "USB" ports that connect our "CPUs" to nature.  

Global warming does not directly appeal to these corporeal senses. Humans are "supposedly" capable of perception not purely constrained by what is arriving through those signal feeds. It just appears GW moves too slowly and frankly, doesn't cause enough inconvenience to really resemble a case for truth.  This enables people to land their perception just about anywhere along the spectrum of denial there can be ... which ranges from hard core bloviation, all the way to admitting something is wrong but doing so in a divisive manner where  their word choice and/or behavior ultimately achieve the same disregard. 

In short, too many people have to BE physically injured by it.  

Morning rant completed -

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Who said yesterday and today were supposed to be torches? These days looked like shat going back to last week. 

I poked in while on vaca and happen to catch your post in the matter.  You said, '... tue and wed ratters'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

68/66 doesn't feel like a torch.

Our bodies have acclimated nicely.

But we may also need to start defining torch as daily maximums or something.

The nights are just relative infernos compared to climo while the days are just warm.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Class CC fueled fraud-torch.

Yesterday here was +6 to continue one of the warmest July’s on record.

Classic CC torch… 80/65 on a 79/55 normal.  So +1 max and +10 min… +6 on the day.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah everything's "feels" like this or "seems" like that when it comes to people's moods and attitudes about sensible weather ( helping to modulate their climate awareness...)  And this provides a delicious plate of items for people to eat arguments over. 

We've had this disco/debate in the past, but in short ... given enough acclimation time,  perceptions will tend to separate more and more from empirical/objective data.  It's the +D(meh) effect. LOL  

However, June was ~ +5.                      +             5      

July appears destined to the same result. 

Purely constrained by thermodynamics that are natively associated/driven by season, there is a quasi floor to how cold it can get in winter, and likewise a ceiling for how hot it can get in summer. In order to average -5 or +5 respectively ( to mention, for whole month's worth!) is something of an impressive achievement respective of season.

Regardless of however tenuous one's perception of objective reality is or not, this is a blow torch summer.  

But ... I suppose that subjective aspect has to have the near crisis run-in with physical exposure to 107 F before they believe that. 

This is part and parcel (example) in my non-obligatory, GW plausible deniability theory.   Human beings, like all other biologic life on this rock where ( apparently ) is the only place in the cosmos where that actually happens ... are programmed to respond to whatever it is they see, hear, smell, feel, or taste, probably in that order. These are the "USB" ports that connect our "CPUs" to nature.  

Global warming does not directly appeal to these corporeal senses. Humans are "supposedly" capable of perception not purely constrained by what is arriving through those signal feeds. It just appears GW moves too slowly and frankly, doesn't cause enough inconvenience to really resemble a case for truth.  This enables people to land their perception just about anywhere along the spectrum of denial there can be ... which ranges from hard core bloviation, all the way to admitting something is wrong but doing so in a divisive manner where  their word choice and/or behavior ultimately achieve the same disregard. 

In short, too many people have to BE physically injured by it.  

Morning rant completed -

I was only speaking to yesterday. This summer has seemed hot to me.

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not claiming anyone did...I just refer to fraud-torches as those in which the vast majority of the + anomaly is in the day time min.

I guess. But we haven’t had many of these types of days. It’s been a relentless onslaught of 90s. 

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yesterday here was +6 to continue one of the warmest July’s on record.

Classic CC torch… 80/65 on a 79/55 normal.  So +1 max and +10 min… +6 on the day.

-3.5 here yesterday, thanks to the first sub-70 max of the month.  Five straight BN days have dropped the month average from +5.1 to +3.4.  With next week's warmup, we may finish near +4, which would be our warmest July of 27 here.

• Like 1

I am extremely curious to see what happens once the AMO begins to flip towards the negative phase, though I would presume we are still some years away from that. What's the average life-cycle for each phase, like ~30 years? The flip happened around 1995 so you would have to think that we are either at the peak of the +AMO cycle or very close to it. I've always been in the belief that if we're continuing to smash warm records during the next -AMO cycle then we're in some trouble. Now, I don't think we'd see a total regime flip once we go         -AMO, it may take some time for the atmosphere to adjust 

33 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Lol,

okay but just in case ... I was speaking to the general audience.  Not sure who said what or in deference to any context

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I am extremely curious to see what happens once the AMO begins to flip towards the negative phase, though I would presume we are still some years away from that. What's the average life-cycle for each phase, like ~30 years? The flip happened around 1995 so you would have to think that we are either at the peak of the +AMO cycle or very close to it. I've always been in the belief that if we're continuing to smash warm records during the next -AMO cycle then we're in some trouble. Now, I don't think we'd see a total regime flip once we go         -AMO, it may take some time for the atmosphere to adjust 

About 30 years, yeah. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I guess. But we haven’t had many of these types of days. It’s been a relentless onslaught of 90s. 

I agree.

The initial comment was in response to one regarding yesterday.