Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, klw said:

It looks like you were surrounded at the end of the loop.  Please tell us it finally got you.

Edit:  I see you have. .30 storm to date.

Yeah racked up the sheet drizzle for a few hours. With hot and dry coming that isn’t going to do much to help the plants, but it’s better than nada. 

22 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

looking toasty starting this weekend into next week on the GFS 

It's coming. Not sure why some are dismissing it but it is coming. Can use all the WPC products, charts, graphs showing how climo is declining, etc...who cares, all of that is irrelevant and doesn't change what the outcome is going to be. When the new pattern becomes established moving through early August, it isn't just going to end overnight. Going to have to be some significant changes to the Northern Hemisphere state...maybe some tropical activity jumpstarts changes but much of August going to be en fuego. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Nasty heat wave potential D8+ but I'm not sure/confident yet how far N-E it gets across the conus. 

The flow geometry through the Canadian Maritime is orienting or reorienting into zonal out there in time, while the PNA "should" be sending +PNAP structure across mid latitude continent. 

The the problem is, the operational versions of the models keep trying to sag the mid and u/a into some sort of heat walling off vestigial trough sag in the western OV.   This being beyond D7 is allowing plenty of time for a correction in that matter.  But the WPO--> EPO/PNA is a pretty darn hot signal for us. 

ens tele inferred hgt anomaly NE-E of HA teleconnects to relaxing the semi-permanent ridge over the Rockies...and with said NAO orientation, the correction vector points N with the heights right where these op versions are sagging.

Definitely a lot of summer seasonal entropy in the hemisphere. Coherence is at a premium so it's tricky.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

0.19” today, and about 0.50” past two days to keep the shrooms happy.

Think that just pushed us past 16” since June 1st.

16?!?!
I’ve had like 2” since June 1

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

16?!?!
I’ve had like 2” since June 1

There’s an anomalous swath through here of 14-18”.  Highest is 18.77” in Starksboro.

Pretty uniform swath too.  Its localized but yet still widespread if that makes sense.

Drops off sharply SW of Montpelier, and especially SW of Orange County.

IMG_0311.thumb.jpeg.8d2397e940bc4b5755a6d0ac4485e7fc.jpeg

• Like 2

The irony is this idea that warm, humid weather is nice while cooler weather leads to a cold rain just keeps getting proven wrong.

We had 3 nice dry days with normal temps and COC dews… literally the minute the dew rose above 65F it started raining again.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

Finally rain.  Over the last 30 days my total rainfall had been .95".   We received .80" today.  

Congrats to earth.  Sunday was the warmest day in recorded history. 

Speaking of that, I just finished a great book called "A tree grows in Brooklyn".  It was written in 1943 about the life in Brooklyn around 1910.  There were numerous mentions of sleds being used in winter to get around.   The book also talks about how the stars lit up the night sky over NYC. I just found that all interesting.  What will the climate be like in New England in another 100 years?

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, dendrite said:

IMG_4280.jpeg

It’s an impressive gradient.  Whatever large scale set-up is causing this, where the frontal boundaries have continuously set-up over the same swath… it’s crazy how stable the precip distribution has been the past two months.

The jet will sink south as the sun angle lowers.  It’s been residing pretty far north these past two months near record average temperatures.  As things cool, it’ll drop south.

It’s interesting that places in the axis of drought through CNE/E.NNE (over the past two months), got decent rain after the cooler/normal interlude.

Temperatures were a bit cooler and it rained hardest a bit SE of where it has been.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The irony is this idea that warm, humid weather is nice while cooler weather leads to a cold rain just keeps getting proven wrong.

We had 3 nice dry days with normal temps and COC dews… literally the minute the dew rose above 65F it started raining again.

Plenty of warm humid and stein days around here. It rains in VT no matter what so you hope it’s more 75/70.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Plenty of warm humid and stein days around here. It rains in VT no matter what so you hope it’s more 75/70.

Yeah I was just out watering the pots yesterday (mon) and the difference between that and Sunday was like night and day. It was nothing like the previous week where it felt like a giant sauna door had been left open with hardly a whisper of wind but that slight heaviness to the air was undeniable. It actually felt perfect to me given the time of year, aside from those damn flies which always seem to emerge from every nook and cranny in existence to harass anyone walking on the street!

• Like 1