Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

It's funny you mentioned it. I have not seen any myself either. Been to several barbecues and they're usually always there and I've seen not one. It's okay with me. I hate them because they're so aggressive. But strange.

On A separate note, I've seen a fair amount of lightning bugs this year. Real nice to see. Reminded me of my childhood

It is a little early for them to harass you at cookouts. That's usually later in the season when they see the grim reaper approaching.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

Anybody run in to any yellow jackets this year? I know this is a total jinx but I haven't seen a one. The big wasps yeah but not the little f******.

I've seen one or two so far.  But seeing as I'm planning to get a dumpster to clear out some junk that's been in the yard this week, I think I'm about to discover where they've been hiding out.   BzzzZZZzzzzZZZZZ!!!!

• Haha 1

What a great day, enjoying the summer to it's fullest!  Hoping for some high Ughust heat to stamp this summer as one of the all-time greats. Dews will be there, but it'd be nice to see a solid 5-7 day heater BOS/BDL

Yeah yellowjackets have been sparse but I've seen more than a few.  Worker counts will explode the next 2-3 weeks.

• Thanks 1

The mugginess is def back but it just feels right for this time of year. I don’t know how else to put it. For me, it reminds us to slow down, take it easy, grab a nice cold beer and enjoy the beauty around us!  Which reminds me, I gotta fill up my feeders..we have a clan of purple finches that have just been gobbling down our seed for at least the last few weeks. 

6 hours ago, kdxken said:

Anybody run in to any yellow jackets this year? I know this is a total jinx but I haven't seen a one. The big wasps yeah but not the little f******.

My update: Have had an unbelievable amount of honey bees, and quite a few wasps.  I planted a few acres of clover and I think that is what attracted the honey bees.
Only a handful of yellow jackets for a week or two as the holly bushes bloomed back in June- seen none since.  I have also had the most lightning bugs in the fields since I moved here 5 years ago.  Thankfully, not one Japanese beetle..yet, at least.  Very few to no hickory nuts on those trees, too.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Nope. If there were no more extended dews I'd be happy. Are the models indicating a repeat of what we just had

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

There’s no relief from high dews or heat. Early - middle Augdewst looks like what the first 3 weeks of Julorch did. No idea where a few ACATT are getting summer is over and cool shots lol 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This is kind of insane for an 11-15d ens mean.

image.png

Its incredible.  It’s a continuous torch overall.  Sure we get an occasional 1-3 days of climo normal temperatures, but it just wants to be warmer than normal at least excuse possible.  And not just slightly above normal.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Its incredible.  It’s a continuous torch overall.  Sure we get an occasional 1-3 days of climo normal temperatures, but it just wants to be warmer than normal at least excuse possible.  And not just slightly above normal.

It’s hard to get to normal when we’re plowing these heat plumes toward James Bay. Like you said, lots of over the top heat waves for NNE over the last few years. 

GFS is flirting with it about every other run. But even on the hot runs it then goes out of the way to immediately pack the heights into the west 10 minutes after we’ve finally ridged. Euro’s been sorta like that too.

• Like 1