Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

13 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Did you see whales?

we saw 2 way out then getting back not to far from Boston Harbor we saw another one.. also saw a seal and a massive turtle! it was awesome and cant wait to do it again.. The boat before us I guess didn't see any so we got really lucky.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

we saw 2 way out then getting back not to far from Boston Harbor we saw another one.. also saw a seal and a massive turtle! it was awesome and cant wait to do it again.. The boat before us I guess didn't see any so we got really lucky.. 

Best whale watching boat I ever went on was actually a fishing boat out of Gloucester, heading to the fishing ground the captain spotted a whale breaching off in the distance, he asked us if we wanted to continue to the grounds or take a detour and look at the whale. We all voted whale. When we caught up to it, the whale would breach near us and swim around and under the boat, I remember a lot of dolphins swimming all around the whale. We lost an hour fishing, but we all thought it was worth the side trip.

• Like 1

Today is proof positive  folks love low dews. Five or six posts the entire day! Most out boating, fishing, hiking, camping, swimming and generally enjoying the great outdoors.

Almost feel sorry for the one or two posters hunkered down in a bath house swearing at the skies.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Today is proof positive  folks love low dews. Five or six posts the entire day! Most out boating, fishing, hiking, camping, swimming and generally enjoying the great outdoors.

Almost feel sorry for the one or two posters hunkered down in a bath house swearing at the skies.

I think you’re wrong. Obviously people were so upset by the lack of fees that they just stayed in bed with their heads under the blankets so upset they didn’t even log on. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

Nice weather is boring weather this time of year.  The more uncomfortable, the higher the post rate gets (cold or warm).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Edit: Almost feel sorry for the one or two confused posters hunkered down in a bath house swearing at the skies.

• Confused 1

Yup. So much to do with manageable dews. Was Finally able to wind down tonight after being out and about all weekend. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Best whale watching boat I ever went on was actually a fishing boat out of Gloucester, heading to the fishing ground the captain spotted a whale breaching off in the distance, he asked us if we wanted to continue to the grounds or take a detour and look at the whale. We all voted whale. When we caught up to it, the whale would breach near us and swim around and under the boat, I remember a lot of dolphins swimming all around the whale. We lost an hour fishing, but we all thought it was worth the side trip.

We left out of Boston Harbor and went just offshore of Glouster. No dolphins but it was still a really cool experience.. going to do it again soon and it was only 70 bucks a person. Which isn't that bad 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Sheesh the entirety of American Wx is as quiet as a cemetery. No canes, no storms, no reason to post. Only one posting is Ray working on his winter outlook.

We’re down to tree cutting, barn building, and skunk feeding pics

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

Sheesh the entirety of American Wx is as quiet as a cemetery. No canes, no storms, no reason to post. Only one posting is Ray working on his winter outlook.

Which we know already calls for below average cold and above average snow and a KU centered in the lower MRV. 

• Haha 1

My forecast for his winter forecast is:

11/15: Going according to plan 

12/13: First slight concern 

12/29: First legit concern 

1/14: Anger over a missed system 

1/22: Need to see changes ASAP

2/10: On life support 

2/13: First fantasy baseball draft reference 

2/26: F*** winter

4/3: Prelim thoughts on winter 25-26

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

34 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We have reached the peak. Happy slide down to winter day

20240722_122720.jpg

Totally noticeable. Had my first wild blackberries today and the goldenrod is beginning to bloom. The hour is getting late...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Anybody run in to any yellow jackets this year? I know this is a total jinx but I haven't seen a one. The big wasps yeah but not the little f******.

I have not seen many bees this year with the exception of bumble bees. I did have a baby yellow jacket in the house a few weeks back but I really have not encountered any. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Anybody run in to any yellow jackets this year? I know this is a total jinx but I haven't seen a one. The big wasps yeah but not the little f******.

It's funny you mentioned it. I have not seen any myself either. Been to several barbecues and they're usually always there and I've seen not one. It's okay with me. I hate them because they're so aggressive. But strange.

On A separate note, I've seen a fair amount of lightning bugs this year. Real nice to see. Reminded me of my childhood

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Got stung 12 times by the motherf*ers over 4th of July weekend.  Big ass nest in the ground.  Sprayed an entire 17.5oz can of Raid down the hole.

81/72 currently.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Got stung 12 times by the motherf*ers over 4th of July weekend.  Big ass nest in the ground.  Sprayed an entire 17.5oz can of Raid down the hole.

81/72 currently.

I had a nest in the ground of my backyard 2 years ago. There were so many of them. 

I got a huge pot of boiling water made my way over to where the hole was in the ground and poured it right down the hole. Killed those Bastards. Then I stuffed it with rocks and they were never back again!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

81/72 currently.

I lifted a rock near my wall to put it back on top and there was a nest under, they flew up my sleeves and stung my arms, hurt like hell. I did the same thing you did but if it happens again, I'll try boiling hot water.

• Like 3

Last year was the worst ever and the year before was bad but this year none.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I had a nest in the ground of my backyard 2 years ago. There were so many of them. 

I got a huge pot of boiling water made my way over to where the hole was in the ground and poured it right down the hole. Killed those Bastards. Then I stuffed it with rocks and they were never back again!!

When we were responsible for mowing my maternal grandparents' 3/4-acre lawn, each mow would discover 2 or 3 nests.  For ones close to the house, my dad's 'medicine' was to wait until full darkness, pour in a few oz gas, then toss in a match.  One very well established nest still had a small flame flickering the next morning and the soil had collapsed as the interior yellowjacket-paper structure burned, leaving a hole bigger than a 20-gallon washtub.

We have reached the peak. Happy slide down to winter day

Same here - 76.7/55.5/66.1 today.  However, my data is still "live", and adjusts automatically with each entry, as my numbers for here started 5/17/98 and there's a whole week with means within 0.15° of that peak.  If I'm still recording when the 2001-2030 norms are put in place (would be about my 85th bd), I'd need to decide whether to lock in my 01-30 averages or continue the present practice.  Probably easier to just keep using all the current formulas.

• Like 4