Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Things have improved in that setting.  Long ago (mid 1950s) when I went to the YMCA camp in NNJ, each cabin had chores each day, with rotating jobs.  Thus, once in each 2-week attendance, each cabin had a day cleaning out the garbage room, which was about 6 feet wide and 25 feet deep, no windows nor vents.  We used an ammonia cleanser, quite strong, such that we learned to breathe only with our mouth while inside.  Only 10-15 minutes exposure, but in today's world that would be making lawyers richer.

51 this morning and it won't reach 80 this afternoon, nice enough to move some wood onto the porch.  Might even notch an HDD - only 2 thus far this month, on the 2nd when the low was 47.

At the camp I work at part time during the summer, they have a ton of guest speakers.  I was eating lunch with them yesterday and the speaker was a current Boston PD cop who had attended the camp back in the mid 1980s. He was telling the kids how they dug the current swimming pool out by hand.  The current crop of kids come with USB fans and still complain.  

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

79/55 right now at 6:30pm.

You just feel bad for the kids at summer camp  and folks who can’t make summer memories in this weather today.

IMG_0282.thumb.jpeg.03f087c994114f6ed391548d5a2bbf42.jpeg

What a rarity in summer there. Sunny and 80. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What a rarity in summer there. Sunny and 80. 

The irony is that’s spot on normal.  Doesn’t get any more normal than that.

Normal value for MVL is 79/55 (yesterday’s climo report)…

It’s wild that for every 85F max, we should match it with a 73F max.  Instead it’s like you get a normal day or two then retorch.  

IMG_0284.jpeg.ba0c72155505633961324eac5cef1f37.jpeg

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The irony is that’s spot on normal.  Doesn’t get any more normal than that.

Normal value for MVL is 79/55 (yesterday’s climo report)…

It’s wild that for every 85F max, we should match it with a 73F max.  Instead it’s like you get a normal day or two then retorch.  

IMG_0284.jpeg.ba0c72155505633961324eac5cef1f37.jpeg

It was a good day no doubt. Maybe, some memories were made. :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

You’ll fit in well here, but be warned: emotions run high in here if there hasn’t been a warning event by early January. 

Well, I felt that way in the south, so I can imagine I'll carry over that same energy up here. In fact, I might turn out to be the very worst if the winter is weak. Sure I love winter in of itself, but the increasing weakness of winter where I come from was driving me more insane every year and if I come up here only to be hit with winter with nothing more than dustings of snow and days in the 70s I will completely lose it.

I guess at least here, I have a place to vent about weak winters where other people will agree. No one where I come from seemed to understand how depressing it is to have pathetic, weakening winters. They just hate winter no matter what. If we get a dusting of snow (the only kind of snow that happens down there most winters anymore), they post memes on social media about "when will it ever stop snowing?!". Pathetic. Throughout all of the days of 60s for highs, they'll still be whining about "Oh, when will winter end? I'm so ready for Spring and for it to warm up". I...don't understand these people.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Went and saw twisters. It was alright could have been better.. felt great out when we left though..

I get the sense that there's so much great real storm chaser footage out there these days that any CGI Hollywood production will prove anticlimactic. That said, I love the original.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I get the sense that there's so much great real storm chaser footage out there these days that any CGI Hollywood production will prove anticlimactic. That said, I love the original.

The original was fun but silly as well. "Run for it!"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

I'm going to try this on my ATV. Guess we're not the only ones dealing with unprecedented deer flies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/massachusetts/s/c41wbTNBTU

Is it the blue color that attracts them? I remember a few years back a guy on this site taped a blue plastic cup onto a hat and put glue on the cup, the cup was loaded with deer flies after being outside a little while.

• Like 1

Folks may be adjusted so far that they’re sensibly interpreting a nadir of/to normalcy as an actual cold shot ? 
Which “cold shot,” although entirely semantic … really should be reserved for actually below normal. 

I came over the Berkshire divide today. The valleys around ALB were as high as 86 on the dash … then it was 73 over the crest at 1750’, back into the low or mid 80s by the time Springfield went by the car.  Been off the weather juice for over a week and the only thing as refreshing was the appeal of that as being entirely a     30yr/N terms kinda day. … Minus the last 10 years worth of variance mania so vast one cannot even trust the means. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

If that’s a bar in London then yes. Otherwise over here for 2 weeks for work. 

Nice. I love London. Of course I’ve only been a few times for a day or two each. I imagine it could get to be a bit much after a while.