Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Late aftn and evening rain is ok. But the days of high heat and dews make memories. Not cloudy by 10 with the temp struggling for 70. 

Yes, but what kind of memories.  I've bragged on here about July 2-4, 1966, its triple-digit days and how hot it was behind the counter where I was cooking burgers and dogs at Curtis-Wright's NNJ lake resort.  Also about being at BHB on Hot Saturday when it was 100 at water's edge.  I would NOT wish to repeat those days.  And the best part of Hot Saturday was the wonderful BD that came thru that night.

They at camp every day with tons of activities including the beach.

With counselors on high alert for kids with heat exhaustion.

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yes, but what kind of memories.  I've bragged on here about July 2-4, 1966, its triple-digit days and how hot it was behind the counter where I was cooking burgers and dogs at Curtis-Wright's NNJ lake resort.  Also about being at BHB on Hot Saturday when it was 100 at water's edge.  I would NOT wish to repeat those days.  And the best part of Hot Saturday was the wonderful BD that came thru that night.

Yea. My son had heat exhaustion on Tuesday and ended up stayed home Wednesday. The camp neglects to station water coolers around the big property for some reason and they have limited amounts of shade. 

Memorable summeh…

• Sad 3

31 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Luckily near the ocean the kids can cool off. They also have other water activities etc.

Memory stuff I'm talking about are vacations, weekends etc. Lots of fun times at the beach, lake, or pool.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. My son had heat exhaustion on Tuesday and ended up stayed home Wednesday. The camp neglects to station water coolers around the big property for some reason and they have limited amounts of shade. 

Memorable summeh…

WTF, that's ridiculous. I'd go off on that camp. I worked as a camp counselor for about 8 years and the camp was 95% outdoors. I always made sure there was at least one water cooler at every outside station and made sure they got re-filled. When we had the most oppressive days, we made sure to limit strenuous outside activity and be in the shade as much as possible.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Seasons in seasons though. But winter has broke me. I am shook now.

I want hot and active summers and cold and snowy winters. I like spring to gradually step up and fall to gradually step down. I’m not conditional when it comes to wx. I’ll take it all. I don’t want San Diego or Fairbanks wx year round. If I did, I’d live there. I guess I get that others don’t feel the same but I’ll admit it’s a struggle.

• Like 3

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I want hot and active summers and cold and snowy winters. I like spring to gradually step up and fall to gradually step down. I’m not conditional when it comes to wx. I’ll take it all. I don’t want San Diego or Fairbanks wx year round. If I did, I’d live there. I guess I get that others don’t feel the same but I’ll admit it’s a struggle.

I used to despise the heat. Working outside during college and shortly after before I got into weather.....summers killed me. 

But I definitely enjoy it more now that I have kids. 

• Like 1

Winter is more tolerable with snow. I get why people hate snow (outside of weather weenies), it's a nuisance and can be disruptive but winter by itself, without snow, sucks. I get in the summer when it is oppressively hot and humid you can't do any activity outside very long, but at least you can find ways to enjoy yourself or at least just relax. What can you do outside in winter (ski/snowboard if you're into that) but its not like you can just post up in your lawn chair outside when its 30F. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Fairbanks looks pretty nice this weekend, ha.

78/53, 82/57, 87/61 with sunshine until midnight.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I used to despise the heat. Working outside during college and shortly after before I got into weather.....summers killed me. 

But I definitely enjoy it more now that I have kids. 

I lived in SC for a bit so I’m used to the heat and humidity. For me, days along the river or those evening BBQs with fireflies humming about are peak summer to me. 

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Winter is more tolerable with snow. I get why people hate snow (outside of weather weenies), it's a nuisance and can be disruptive but winter by itself, without snow, sucks. I get in the summer when it is oppressively hot and humid you can't do any activity outside very long, but at least you can find ways to enjoy yourself or at least just relax. What can you do outside in winter (ski/snowboard if you're into that) but its not like you can just post up in your lawn chair outside when its 30F. 

Winter by itself without snow isn’t normal though. I get what you’re saying though about outdoor activities. Perhaps when I’m older I’ll feel differently.

This is my outlook on life too so I’m pretty consistent on the take it as it comes mindset. Not saying it’s better or worse than anybody else’s. Just how I’ve always been even as a kid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I lived in SC for a bit so I’m used to the heat and humidity. For me, days along the river or those evening BBQs with fireflies humming about are peak summer to me. 

Winter by itself without snow isn’t normal though. I get what you’re saying though about outdoor activities. Perhaps when I’m older I’ll feel differently.

This is my outlook on life too so I’m pretty consistent on the take it as it comes mindset. Not saying it’s better or worse than anybody else’s. Just how I’ve always been even as a kid. 

I think age definitely factors into the thinking and mindset about the seasons, however, that can't be said for everyone. I've always hated the cold and the early darkness, however, it never really bothered me. But the last several years it really has started to do so, but its mostly related to changes in personal life I think. 

I've always been a huge hockey fan, and that really grew after my grandfather had passed in 2008. He was a massive Red Sox fan (got me into it) and we watched every game together. But hockey is a winter sport, so I watch all Bruins games and I had season tickets to the Hartford Wolf Pack for so many years so I was either watching hockey on TV or going to games. I also used to go out a few times a week. Essentially, I was constantly busy...always had something to do. But now that I ended up re-locating to Springfield (which I want back in CT sooooo badly) I don't get to do alot of these things anymore, so I'm not as busy...that's when you notice things more.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Holy cow what a day. I’d sign up for this through October 

I should be happy since it's such a beautiful day. But I can't help thinking we wasted two and a half weeks of summer on useless humidity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I'll take winter over summer regardless of the amount of snow. There is plenty to do outside during the winter. I love walking and biking during the winter. And it is a great time of the year for photography. The people who feel the cold the most during the winter are the ones who stay inside the most often. They never get acclimated to the cold.

And before anyone losses their mind I much prefer a snowy winter but I long ago accepted the realities of climate change.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I should be happy since it's such a beautiful day. But I can't help thinking we wasted two and a half weeks of summer on useless humidity.

I've seen more people doing things in the neighborhood today than I did during those hot and humid days. Kids are outside playing..people are doing yard work and other projects outside of their homes...this is an ideal summer day!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I'll take winter over summer regardless of the amount of snow. There is plenty to do outside during the winter. I love walking and biking during the winter. And it is a great time of the year for photography. The people who feel the cold the most during the winter are the ones who stay inside the most often. They never get acclimated to the cold.

And before anyone losses their mind I much prefer a snowy winter but I long ago accepted the realities of climate change.

This is certainly true. When I used to walk everywhere and be outside more during winter it was easier to tolerate and handle. 

45 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Yup, I come from the South where snow is rarely on the ground in the winter. I'm used to no snow on the ground in winter, but I still love it. Winter is by far my favorite season. The cold is more tolerable than heat for me. I'd rather put on cold weather wear than be hot and sweating in the smallest amount of clothes I will wear (I don't show much skin generally. I'm not conservative or anything, just don't like the way I look, so I rarely wear shorts or skirts/dresses shorter than below the knee).

Overcast days in the 40s are actually perfect walking weather. That's the perfect balance for me between warmth and cold for me when walking.

Plus... During the winter you don't have annoying gross insects all over the place. Peace. That's how I see winter. Peace and nice weather. Perfect for the outdoors.

I consider myself a weirdo, though. Most people are made happy by sunshine and everything green. I am the opposite. I find the overcast skies and everything brown to be calming, whereas I find the sun to be irritating. Thus I can't understand everyone's hate for winter, and I don't need snow to appreciate it (but I do want snow! It's depressing to not get snow)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

WTF, that's ridiculous. I'd go off on that camp. I worked as a camp counselor for about 8 years and the camp was 95% outdoors. I always made sure there was at least one water cooler at every outside station and made sure they got re-filled. When we had the most oppressive days, we made sure to limit strenuous outside activity and be in the shade as much as possible.

We filed a complaint as did other parents. They have water there but it’s a large property so groups can be far away at certain times. We requested they have more water coolers stationed kind of like a golf course. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We filed a complaint as did other parents. They have water there but it’s a large property so groups can be far away at certain times. We requested they have more water coolers stationed kind of like a golf course. 

Excellent! That is just beyond responsible. I don't understand people. The stories you hear about every day of children or pets dying in hot cars is sickening. I have no clue how you can "forget" you have a child or a pet in the car or how you can think its alright to leave them in the car while you go off and do whatever it is your doing. I saw one story the other day that it was believed a father was distracted by his XBOX or Playstation...ARE YOU KIDDIND ME??? 

26 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Things have improved in that setting.  Long ago (mid 1950s) when I went to the YMCA camp in NNJ, each cabin had chores each day, with rotating jobs.  Thus, once in each 2-week attendance, each cabin had a day cleaning out the garbage room, which was about 6 feet wide and 25 feet deep, no windows nor vents.  We used an ammonia cleanser, quite strong, such that we learned to breathe only with our mouth while inside.  Only 10-15 minutes exposure, but in today's world that would be making lawyers richer.

51 this morning and it won't reach 80 this afternoon, nice enough to move some wood onto the porch.  Might even notch an HDD - only 2 thus far this month, on the 2nd when the low was 47.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harmonie said:

Yup, I come from the South where snow is rarely on the ground in the winter. I'm used to no snow on the ground in winter, but I still love it. Winter is by far my favorite season. The cold is more tolerable than heat for me. I'd rather put on cold weather wear than be hot and sweating in the smallest amount of clothes I will wear (I don't show much skin generally. I'm not conservative or anything, just don't like the way I look, so I rarely wear shorts or skirts/dresses shorter than below the knee).

Overcast days in the 40s are actually perfect walking weather. That's the perfect balance for me between warmth and cold for me when walking.

Plus... During the winter you don't have annoying gross insects all over the place. Peace. That's how I see winter. Peace and nice weather. Perfect for the outdoors.

I consider myself a weirdo, though. Most people are made happy by sunshine and everything green. I am the opposite. I find the overcast skies and everything brown to be calming, whereas I find the sun to be irritating. Thus I can't understand everyone's hate for winter, and I don't need snow to appreciate it (but I do want snow! It's depressing to not get snow)

I would never move to a place like San Diego. Many years ago a friend was stationed in Twentynine Palms. Ca.  He hated the weather there.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I would never move to a place like San Diego. Many years ago a friend was stationed in Twentynine Palms. Ca.  He hated the weather there.

Yeah, the climates of the big California cities are very undesirable to me. I would hate the lack of seasons. I need seasons.

4 hours ago, Harmonie said:

You’ll fit in well here, but be warned: emotions run high in here if there hasn’t been a warning event by early January.