July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

4 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:
 Saturday looks relatively cloudy with
skies mostly clearing going into Sunday afternoon. Winds over the
weekend look mostly calm with a possible seabreeze moving in Sunday
afternoon across Boston and NE MA. Winds on Monday and Tuesday look
pretty calm but variable throughout the day with another chance at a
seabreeze in the afternoons for the same areas.

nam3km_satradar_frzn_us_59.png

Meh, looks worse than reality. Will be a good day. 

might feel chilly tonight :thumbsup:

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 56. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 81. West wind around 6 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 56. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ineedsnow said:

Tonight
Friday
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 56. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

I may need to light the stove.  

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

Tonight
Friday
Friday Night

Our average low right now is 55F on July 18th.

Earlier in the month the average was low-50s.

The last time the temperature here at MVL went below 61F was July 3rd.  With normals of 52-55F.

We are +6.7 for JULY!  Those departures in January are crazy but the low variance of summer months makes it borderline unbelievable.

• Like 3

I mean it really doesn’t much of a drop off to feel just a little more breathable than yesterday’s sauna and I don’t use that term lightly. Trust me, I love that classic summer feel of high heat with a distinctive moistness in the air, especially if you’re taking it easy or you happen to be at the beach. But man, last night was just something else around here, with hardly a whisper of wind combined with our proximity to literal swamps, it really could’ve fooled some people into thinking we were suddenly transported to lake okechobee! It doesn’t get quite that steamy and stagnant very often.

• Like 3

Went down to the beach today (Hammonasset) and it was actually quite pleasant, especially when the sun went beyond the clouds. I was also on the coast yesterday, and yesterday was muggy and yucky in comparison. The breeze at the beach today was nice!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Lol, who cares? You know they’ll be back.

Stockholm syndrome… being held hostage by the dews and developing a psychological attachment to them.

66/54… this is pretty “normal” for July here based on long term averages but this year it feels like it’s almost time to go pick pumpkins for Halloween.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Stockholm syndrome… being held hostage by the dews and developing a psychological attachment to them.

66/54… this is pretty “normal” for July here based on long term averages but this year it feels like it’s almost time to go pick pumpkins for Halloween.

It’s been great. These are the summers we should acclimate too. Cold fronts of yore are gone. That’s no hyperbole.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve seen pictures and videos all across New England from Vermont to Cape Cod of kids laughing playing up in water holes in Vermont and beaches in Cape Cod laughing making memories. That’s a summer how it should be, not  75 with clouds and rain in the afternoon. That’s bullshit.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ve seen pictures and videos all across New England from Vermont to Cape Cod of kids laughing playing up in water holes in Vermont and beaches in Cape Cod laughing making memories. That’s a summer how it should be, not  75 with clouds and rain in the afternoon. That’s bullshit.

Ha, while I don’t disagree… I still think if you aren’t doing water activities there is better weather possible.

Today was glorious for just about anything.  I hiked after work with the dog and worked up a sweat on the way up, but then something curious happened.  My sweaty shirt was bone dry by the time we got back to the car.  For two weeks, it was a sweatfest in all directions.  Once wet always wet, ha.  Today dried as soon as exertion ended. 

All joking aside, there’s a decent gap between 90/70 and a chilly cloudy rain.  On this forum we tend to spin at as the options are record heat or brutal cold.  Some nice, normal 82/55 days (climo here) work very well too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Also, the irony about the bolded is that during this stretch, rain has impacted more days and kept folks inside up here more than any COC weather could.  It’s rained or threatened to every day.  16+ inches since June 1.

Today was the first day it hasn’t threatened to rain in a long time… not shocking the minute the PWATs and dews drop, the rain threat ends.

Folks up here are definitely now trained to expect tropical rains with tropical weather.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Goofus is still hitting the u50s here Wednesday. 

Yeah no one wants this.  Why can’t we just get some normal weather lol.

It wants to be record warmth (means) or a cold rain.  Let’s go for 84/55 and Cu.

IMG_0276.thumb.png.3d0c892d8200438eb1bf2ff44c3382ba.png

Central/North VT doesn’t need another 2” of rain though.

IMG_0278.thumb.png.3f96442e106eacb3b8ebc04058d0a31f.png