Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

1.21 in the stratus. My electric bill went up 16 bucks due to rate increase

Just signed up with Constellation Energy for 8.59c/kwh for 24 months.  Way better than Eversource rates.

75/69 currently

• Like 3

After the 7-10 TS about 3 PM yesterday, we caught 1/4" from the north edge of a large storm 2 hours later, again with no strikes within 5 miles.  In this northerly locale, the strongest TS ought to be in met summer, but our most house-shaking thunder came in Dec 2000 and the closest strike (55 yards away) in March 2021.  This year, the noisiest TS by far was on Feb 10.  What's with the cold season having the strongest TS?  Have not seen a single bolt this year - missed those in Feb as I was hunched over while putting food platters into the car for our church's Valentine potluck, trying to avoid having the food drown in the downpour.
MTD rain is a tick under 4" and temp running +5.1, a huge departure for any July or August.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

The dew has finally dropped into the 50s for the first time in what feels like two weeks.  Air is fresh and clear again.

lucky.  hope we get some of that.  still dewey in SNE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not much of a whooosh from this

At least it will be a reprieve for my AC

dreading the next electric bill

Have you thought about installing solar? I had 19 panels installed in December, added 4 more on my own in early April (didn't think I was going to cover my bill). But even for the months of June and July, I'm still overproducing, despite the AC nearly being always on. If I do end up overproducing for the year, I'm going to install a mini-split for heat. It's going to take me as little as 5, but not more than 7 years to pay for system. My new meter hit 565 kW in February, but it's now nearly 1 mW in the negative. 

IMG_20240718_105221007 (002).jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not much of a whooosh from this

At least it will be a reprieve for my AC

dreading the next electric bill

With solar panels, able to "sell" electricity back to National Grid, meaning in the warm months, our bill has a negative balance. In addition $120/month, year round, back to me for all the sun power we generate. Also, able to fuel electric truck for "free" during the warm months with home charger. The caveat: heating in part with mini-splits (the rest wood) is expensive during the cold months. On the other hand, using the mini-split in our main room on the dehumidifier setting which is energy efficient, keeps this room tolerable in the dews and heat we've been getting. We also have ceiling fans, so nights for sleeping are tolerable as well. We desperately miss the sacred ritual, at least to some on here, of "installs," but as a recovering Catholic, I can deal.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The dew has finally dropped into the 50s for the first time in what feels like two weeks.  Air is fresh and clear again.

we opened all windows this a.m. knowing it was going to be several more hrs before the dews dropped. We've had the heat pump on for 2ks which is a 1st, but just wanted some fresh air. Should be good sleeping wx tonight.

Missed out on everything to my north yesterday and then south. Got to Middletown, CT to get the dog like 5:45ish. There was some cool mammatus clouds overhead. When they were helping us get the dog into the car there was a bight flash of lighting and loud rumble of thunder...that was the extent of the storms for me. As we were driving south that is when the storms were moving across Mass. Then of course, the night stuff was southern CT. 

9 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Coc is 90/70, quintessential summer.  Nothing coc about cool, cloudy wx (Saturday for ex)

I’m feeling cocky today though.  Weekend wx is irrelevant to me.

• Like 1

Beyond Tuesday next week looks pretty active with unseasonably strong mlvl flow and multiple shortwaves traversing it. It should be quite humid as well, probably oppressive dewpoints returning. No EMLs likely next week but definitely some severe weather potential mixed in, especially with any stronger shortwaves mixed in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

Coc is 90/70, quintessential summer.  Nothing coc about cool, cloudy wx (Saturday for ex)

Different folks, different preferences.  Mine would be 75/50, except for some rain for the garden and the woods.  (Of course, climo is 8-10° cooler here.)

54 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This weekend looks amazing.  Sunny. Mid to upper 80s

Saturday looks relatively cloudy with
skies mostly clearing going into Sunday afternoon. Winds over the
weekend look mostly calm with a possible seabreeze moving in Sunday
afternoon across Boston and NE MA. Winds on Monday and Tuesday look
pretty calm but variable throughout the day with another chance at a
seabreeze in the afternoons for the same areas.

nam3km_satradar_frzn_us_59.png

• Like 1