Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

32 minutes ago, DJln491 said:

There really isn’t. The Long Island Sound off the coast of CT is murky and muddy.  RI beaches are better

Yep. One of the main reasons I vacation to block island every year. The water here sucks.

37 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There is a private beach in Clinton, CT (its free for Clinton residents but non-residents its like $50...but that was several years ago) that is pretty decent. Very quiet and relaxing, they have a few shops too open during the summer. 

I like the Cape beaches on the bay from Yarmouthport out, or from Brewster out on the ocean side, and Western Rhode Island to about Madison in CT.  As a general rule.  There are exceptions each way, however...like a fun little mud hole called Woodneck Beach in Falmouth, where the youngsters can play in tidal pools and chase crabs and eels.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There is a private beach in Clinton, CT (its free for Clinton residents but non-residents its like $50...but that was several years ago) that is pretty decent. Very quiet and relaxing, they have a few shops too open during the summer. 

Yes.  It's a true bargain to pay $50 or $100 to spend the day at a beach without overcrowding and riff-raff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

I like the Cape beaches on the bay from Yarmouthport out, or from Brewster out on the ocean side, and Western Rhode Island to about Madison in CT.  As a general rule.  There are exceptions each way, however...like a fun little mud hole called Woodneck Beach in Falmouth, where the youngsters can play in tidal pools and chase crabs and eels.

There's one in Miilford (Silver Sands or something) which isn't a terrible beach. It gets super crowded. The water can be ehhh but during the low tide cycle there is a small little "island" you can walk out too. Just have to be aware though because once high tide starts kicking back in, if you're not a strong swimmer...better start hauling.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

There have been some sightings of flamingos at the beach in Yarmouth, for whatever that is worth...

https://www.wcvb.com/article/flamingo-sighting-reported-at-cape-cod-beach/61620985

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I never really liked Hammonasset. It's been some years since I've been but its beyond crowded. Not a place if you're looking for relaxation. 

It's tolerable on a weekday or in the evenings. Clinton is up to $75 on weekends for non-residents now I believe...and snack bar not operating this summer. If you don't have a lot of gear and don't mind a walk...you can go to Point Bluff State Park in Groton and it's about a mile or so walk to what's typically a nearly deserted stretch of beach. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Looks like it has a nice line running right along the MA/CT border

Seems like I keep finding myself too far north or too far south to get much rain from these storms lately.  MA/CT border probably won't cut it for me...and we could really use some rain here.

11 minutes ago, wx_observer said:

There have been some sightings of flamingos at the beach in Yarmouth, for whatever that is worth...

https://www.wcvb.com/article/flamingo-sighting-reported-at-cape-cod-beach/61620985

Yeah, my aunt was telling me.  She lives on the road to Bass Hole, about a tenth of a mile from the boardwalk.  Flamingoes are quite adaptable to cold weather and can be found in cold climates, including the Andes in SA where they will gather in frigid and icy ponds.  As their numbers continue to rise, we will likely see more and more of them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Pretty cloudy here, wonder if this burns off? If not it will muck things up later this afternoon.

You should over the next 90 minutes, according to water vapor images.  There was a blob of cloud over CT that pushed in earlier, for much of the morning, pushing east and dissipating.  Full sun here in Western CT now, heating up fast.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strong heating is going to be a key today given the very poor mid-level lapse rates and the warm mid-level temperatures. Low-level lapse rates aren't too bad (7-7.5 C/KM) with RAP even generating pockets of 8 C/KM. This isn't bad when looking for wind potential, however, 2-6km lapse rates need some work. Wind shear is more than sufficient (30-40 knots of effective/bulk shear) to get storms to organize. 

Getting dewpoints more in the 73-74F range would go along ways, however, not sure if we see much dew point pooling today. Basically this would be a difference between more localized severe and something more along the lines of a swath of wind damage reports. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I saw BWI got to 104 yesterday

And DCA. DCA couldn’t buy a hundo for years when I lived in DC and now it’s just a blowtorch. You know it’s bad when IAD is popping out 100+.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have cancerous cells on thy skin that I get removed. No thanks to direct sun anymore. 

Smart move.  I’m the same way.  Most of my outdoor stuff is in shade or near and beyond sunset.